By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo Lost the Hardcore Gamer? article by IGN

@Resident_Hazard: As for the dev kits, you're mixing something up a little. The reason for "late" dev kits in comparision, was because of the PS360 kits were needed to be out a year earlier due to the longer dev time. The dev kits were a little late of course, i believe they were put out in early 2006, but that's not the main reason, since the devs have needed to make the decision what platform to support atleast a year earlier.

The storage space is limited, but for the friend codes; Nintendo isn't forcing anyone to use them. For example EA doesn't use friend codes. The friend code system is only if your game is on WFC and you can use your own servers for online play.

Wiis point is about creativity, as well as more traditional gaming.

Nintendo is prepared to be a leader, in fact, isn't that the excact thing 3rd parties used to complain. And Nintendo haven't been lazy. Their game output exceeds the GC and N64 output, and the games they've been putting out, haven't failed to deliver. Of course, so far the only game that have really pushed Wiis graphical abities, have been SMG, but at this point, it should be pretty obvious that Wii isn't about flashy graphics.

"Wii" titles sell only if they deliver. We'll see about that how it will turn out with Wii Music. Frankly, i personally don't trust any review, when the game has "Wii" in its title (and this includes Mario Kart), so i have to try it out myself. Guitar Hero offers challenge and requires skill, as you said, but it's pointless.
Animal Crossing is another one to think whether to trust the reviews or not. It's apparently supposed to be different from Wild World and similar with the GC one. The GC game was mentioned in IGN review having a certain newness, a game that was a N64 port.

@KichiVerde:
1. No. I grew out of it a decade ago.

2. Yes, i am. My biggest complaint about the Wii is, that there's too many games that interest me. I don't have the time and the money to buy or play them all.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
KichiVerde said:
I think everyone is missing the point of this thread. There should be two things everyone here needs to ask themselves:

1. Do you consider yourself a hardcore gamer and why?

2. If so, are you satisfied with the Wii and why?

In my case my answers are:

1. Yes, because Ive been playing games nonstop for over 20 years

2. No, because the Wii is lacking in too many areas.

It is that simple

1.  My first console was an Atari.

2.  I have a 360 and Wii.  I can't express to you how much more I enjoy the Wii.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

KichiVerde said:
I think everyone is missing the point of this thread. There should be two things everyone here needs to ask themselves:

1. Do you consider yourself a hardcore gamer and why?

2. If so, are you satisfied with the Wii and why?

In my case my answers are:

1. Yes, because Ive been playing games nonstop for over 20 years

2. No, because the Wii is lacking in too many areas.

It is that simple

1.-No, because I have been playing non stop for 23 years, videogames are an importany part of my life and I am not 13 years old

2.-Yes because it dared to brake the rules, to make videogaming fun and interest again and is trying to break the hate towards videoming that exists in the mainstream

KichiVerde said:

"Hardcore" gamer?  Well, I guess this is a very subjective word, and not everyone will take it to mean the same thing.  And to be honest I really dont like the word so much for that reason.  What I should have been saying is "veteran" gamer.  And in my opinion I would consider that to be someone who has consistently played video games for 15 years or more on most consoles and or PC. So that would be at least from the days of the SNES and Sega Genisis onward.

I think the vast majority of happy Wii users do not fit in to the "veteran" category, whereas the the vast majority of dissatisfied Wii users do. 

You are confusing "hardcore" with "old".

I read the article just now and I dont find it that annoying or offensive. I mean in a sense the guy is right. Look at the Ninty games released this year. Next year looks promising though and he actually pointed that out often.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

Err... about Wii Music... I know that this is anecdotal and all...

You see I never really read into any of the articles about how horrible it was, mainly because I didn't have to time to sit through the negativity.

I recently purchased Castlvania Judgement, Mirriors Edge and Wii music.

I enjoyed the Mirrors Edge demo... out of the three the only one that felt like 'shallow' crap though I don't believe I'd take it as far as saying it's crap was mirrors edge.

The game had a great aspect of vertigo and immersion, but it doesn't seem to realize this, instead it tires too hard to engulf you in the narrative.

Also in my understanding, Wii Music is actually very core, as in I'm shocked that media outlets never picked up on the fact that the user is the judge, jury and ultimately the executioner.

I mean I judge my own songs, and I send them to my family and friends and they judge my songs. The USER is both prosecution and defendant, the game follows a very strict regiment to get you to either make noise or music...

As for Castlevania, the jury is still out, for now one character seems broken, and thats the girl with the owl, she seems on her own tier.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

KichiVerde said:
bdbdbd said:
@Yushire: The genres aren't going anywhere. By the looks of the current state of shooters, a lot of the shovelware will exit the market and the best-selling franchises will stay, since the "easy money" is found somewhere else. This basically isn't similar change that the industry experienced a decade ago, when the games that were lost were 2D games. The way how the games are played, will change, but the genres itself don't. There just will be a larger diversity of games.

Nintendo haven't lost the core gamer, atleast not with Wii, they only have won them back.

And no, Nintendo did not forget the core in the first two years. They actually did better, than they did with N64 and GC. People have already forgot N64, but GC started well with 3rd party support, unlike Wii, so the ones who forgot the core gamer, was actually the 3rd parties.

I guess we all have been there when the change makes one doubting the future.

Im sorry to be the one to tell you this but Nintendo failed the hardcore gamer when they decided to opt out on advanced hardware.  After walking the streets of Jerusalem in Assassins' Creed or Launching an airbone strike in COD4, I could never look at a Wii game seriously again. Even a game like No More Heroes which is adult themed just looked silly and out dated. Or how about Zelda.  It was basically a Gamecube game with tacked on Wii controls. I liked the game but I have absolutely no desire to play it again. The older ones much better.  They were the finest most colorful games at the time.  And how about the original Mario Kart and its use of Mode 7 graphics.  It was simply amazing. Or the 64 version and its incredible 3-D courses.There was no other game like it.  But the new Mario Kart is just too out there, and the graphics are uninspiring.  Even SSBB was not so much of a visual improvement over SSBM.And Mario Galaxy.  Why doesnt anyone talk?  Its annoying having to read lame mundane text all the time when we are in the 7th generation of console gaming.  Im sorry I cant deal with Nintendo and all their current mute, kiddy characters represented by subpar graphics.  It worked fine in the 16 but generation, but that time has ended.

And dont get me started with their God awful online system.  In the case of SSBB and Mario Kart, their two hugest multiplayer games they totally ruined the online aspect with their lame policies regarding matchmaking.  The game makers were thinking only about kids and safety while us loyal fans from the past who have become adults were never added in to the equation. And while some of their third party games are a bit better in terms of online, they still cannot compare to the XBox360 or even PS3.

Nintendo has instead chosen to focus on their wii remote and wireless functionality.  Perhaps it will amount to something in the future, but for now it is just plain silly.  Aside from shooters, the wii remote is tiresome for long hours of play.  And the Wii fit,  Im sorry I used it used but all I could think was that I could get 10 times a better workout by stepping outside and going for a jog. Or even taking a walk. Working out in front of a television set is about as stupid as exercising to Richard Simmons or Taebo. And the Wii Fit along with the console itself is overpriced. Meanwhile Xbox360 and PS3 are selling at a loss. They are giving gamers more for less.

I loved the NES, SNES, 64 and Gamecube. They were incredible consoles that provided me with countless hours of fun and entertainment.  I had every reason to want to like the Wii, but it just slowly got lamer and lamer as superior titles came out on the other systems. If you like the Wii fine. But I am disappointed with it. For those of us who are older and appreciate the finer aspects of gaming the Wii cannot satisfy our needs. Wii is like the Budweiser of the gaming world.  Its heavily marketed, cheap and easy to drink down so it has a wide appeal, but after you try better beers you can never go back to it.

I have to go find my Jumbo Wii Bingo Board. After reading this, I'll be playing on it for a while.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

leo-j said:
Well they lost me a huge nintendo fanboy, and a hardcore gamer.

Did you have a gamecube? They effectivly lost me as well. I primarily play PSP and Xbox 360 now. DS seems to get 2 good core games from Nintendo a year now; last year it was Pokemon Diamond and Zelda: Phantom hourglass, this year it was Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and Kirby Super Star Ultra. Next year I bet its Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Super Mario RPG 3 (working title). SE releases some games I want like FFTA2 and Chrono Trigger, but no way I am paying $40 for a portable game when I can get PSP games for $10-$20 on Amazon. Used DS games are mostly $30-$70 for the games I want for some stupid reason.

Wii had great games last year. This year, there is a huge lack in games. I also don't like the controller and I was hoping for better graphics. I think Nintendo made the right choice about online, but if all the games I want to play are on other systems, I am not going to blindly support Nintendo just becuase I have supported them since NES.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Its another waaah, Nintendo isn't catering to my needs editorial, well you want to know why they aren't because the "core gamers" abandoned them years ago, during the last two gaming eras, they went to the Playstation one and 2a nd then later also to the Xbox, leaving the N64 and GCN to wither and die. Nitnendo realized that fighting over that segment was a losing path and went elsewhere, and now thatits the hot system and the 360 and PS3 are lagging behind they are upset that Nintendo isn't doing what they want.

Its like dumping a girl because you thnk she's fat and then seeing her years later looking hot and getting angry and jealous that she's dating some other guy.

Any "core gamer" who is upset should direct their anger at the third parties if they feel that the Wii doesn't have games for them, that is the role of the third party, not Nintendo

Not true for me. 2 gens ago I had:

N64

Gameboy pocket

Gameboy Color

Then last gen I got

Gamecube

Gameboy Advance

Gameboy Advacne SP

I have been loyal to Nintendo until now. Wii controller isn't very fun for me, and I am frusttrated by how much worse the grpahics are and how there are far fewer good games, yet it sells way more.

"I have been loyal to Nintendo until now. Wii controller isn't very fun for me, and I am frusttrated by how much worse the grpahics are and how there are far fewer good games, yet it sells way more."

Worse graphics? Don't tell me yo buy that crap about how hard numbers matter more than talent and art direction.

Or do you mean third parties, which is not the Wii's fault?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs