By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo Lost the Hardcore Gamer? article by IGN

mr_gappy said:
to be fair i agree with this article there hasnt been a really good hardcore game since mario galaxy, brawl was pitiful in comparison to the brilliant melee, but why should nintendo change this winning formula afterall there a bsuiness they wont be probably be making losses if they focused to much on hardcore games casual is where the bulk of the money.

No melee was an unbalanced turd of the series, melee was fun I put over 200 hours into that game if not more, but I played Smash on the N64 and now Wii more cause the mechanics were fixed.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
yushire said:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/933/933583p1.html

Seem IGN definitely have a huge meltdown here. Anyway I have a different opinion about this and it involves disruption but still a interesting read notheless.

LOL I wonder if IGN seen the NPD next week XD

Dammit, did you even read the article you posted? It's an editorial, and it ends on a positve note.  IGN doesn't have a huge meltdown or anything like that.  It's about how they understand the dissent being felt by a lot of Wii gamers right now.  It ends with a very positive look to 2009.  I think you formulated your opinion based on the title of the article.  Judging a book by it's cover, so to speak.  The article references Wii sales and NPD, and makes valid points on them.

Honestly, the current drought has two major causes, both oversights by Nintendo:

1.  Nintendo was over-confident in how many 3rd party devs/publishers would step up and fill the void they left.  In large part, it's because the Wii is still considered "underpowered," and in large part because Nintendo didn't do enough to encourage 3rd party companies to jump on-board.  Nintendo should have catered more to their needs and needs to step up support for them, including broad advertising for the Wii that shows off a variety of available 1st, 2nd and 3rd party titles.

2.  Nintendo's faith in their own franchises was misguided.  They felt that Animal Crossing, Wii Music, and Wario Land would be enough to satisfy gamers this holiday.  Unfortunatly, Wii Music is overly shallow and Animal Crossing wasn't improved enough to appeal to core gamers.  I think Nintendo also may have, more secretly, misjudged how long it would take for them to craft more 1st party, more highly polished core gamaes--games like Punch-Out, StarFox, Pikmin, and the like.  Obviously, the next Mario and Zelda are still a long ways off, but Nintendo has other games up their sleeves that they're working on internally, and they just aren't ready yet.

Here is a synopsis of the article in conjunction with the past 2 years:

Baby Matt: "WAAAAAaaa!!! Ninty, why arent you making games I like at the pace of 2 consoles combined? You are forgetting about me, the NerdcoreAAAAAA!!!"

Ninty: "ummmm......have you seen our bottom line? I think we know what we are doing. Alright (sigh) we will strictly make games which directly compete with 2 HD consoles. Stupid us for trying a different business model to capture more of the overall market. Yeah we scheduled our releases unbalanced but you would have bitched if there werent enough games early on. You know what, screw you! Go buy a damn 360/PS3!!!Vote with your money and shut the heck up!"

Baby Matt: "Ok."

Finale: Rainbows and puppydogs!!!!!

Dear internet users, the morale of the story is: VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLARS!! THIS IS WHAT BUSINESSES LISTEN TO.

Well for me a big yes and a slight no. I play mostly on my PS3 but for a few games (I want a balance board, Skate it, Shaun, de Blob and Mushroom men) I'd like to use my Wii, plus WiiWare has some nice stuff of puzzle games which I like. But having a Wii only would bore me in the end with no amazing stuff going on. Thanks to Nintendo and 3rd party devs "both". Plus online sucks and making a friend community like with the PS3 adding people you've seen online, is totally out of the question. You need to visit websites like these to add friends with those stupid friend codes. Whatever you do, never format your Wii, or you'll lose your known code as you'll get a new one. Wii is nice to have next to my PS3, never ever plan to sell it, but not as my main platform.

I just hope Nintendo has some great stuff planned for 2009, 2008 really sucked. At least I can't wait for Endless Ocean 2

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

@Bolero: Thanks for blowing my cover.

@Esa-Petteri: Yes, i'm an elitist prick. It takes a dog to know one.

My purpose was, as BoleroOfFire already said, to level with KichiVerde.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
Resident_Hazard said:
yushire said:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/933/933583p1.html

Seem IGN definitely have a huge meltdown here. Anyway I have a different opinion about this and it involves disruption but still a interesting read notheless.

LOL I wonder if IGN seen the NPD next week XD

Dammit, did you even read the article you posted? It's an editorial, and it ends on a positve note.  IGN doesn't have a huge meltdown or anything like that.  It's about how they understand the dissent being felt by a lot of Wii gamers right now.  It ends with a very positive look to 2009.  I think you formulated your opinion based on the title of the article.  Judging a book by it's cover, so to speak.  The article references Wii sales and NPD, and makes valid points on them.

Honestly, the current drought has two major causes, both oversights by Nintendo:

1.  Nintendo was over-confident in how many 3rd party devs/publishers would step up and fill the void they left.  In large part, it's because the Wii is still considered "underpowered," and in large part because Nintendo didn't do enough to encourage 3rd party companies to jump on-board.  Nintendo should have catered more to their needs and needs to step up support for them, including broad advertising for the Wii that shows off a variety of available 1st, 2nd and 3rd party titles.

2.  Nintendo's faith in their own franchises was misguided.  They felt that Animal Crossing, Wii Music, and Wario Land would be enough to satisfy gamers this holiday.  Unfortunatly, Wii Music is overly shallow and Animal Crossing wasn't improved enough to appeal to core gamers.  I think Nintendo also may have, more secretly, misjudged how long it would take for them to craft more 1st party, more highly polished core gamaes--games like Punch-Out, StarFox, Pikmin, and the like.  Obviously, the next Mario and Zelda are still a long ways off, but Nintendo has other games up their sleeves that they're working on internally, and they just aren't ready yet.

At Bold: THis is Yushire you're talking about, you know the guy that is bitching about "there's no games on Wii" of course he would think it's a meltdown editorial though I would say one that never needed to be made cause Matt does editorials like this to get companies on their toes just like he made one for voice chat on Wii (though that was a needed one) this one wasn't needed cause I'm sorry but Nintendo has put out more AAA titles in past years and one season isn't going to kill anyone, I mean he even talks about 2009 being great and really it isn't that far off...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Resident_Hazard said:

Ok I am really tired of those arguments. It is a platform with low development costs, Nintendo is no longer restricting the content. It is powerful enough and it gives them more freedom to make the kind of games they want without spending too much money or learn time. What the hell do they want?! That Nintendo programs for them?! Neither Microsoft nor Sony does that why on earth will Nintendo should do it?! Are 3d parties so spoiled and blind that they need a bigger company to do THEIR JOB?!

Nintendo decided to step aside and let the 2008 holiday season to the cry babies third parties. Is not their fault that they are not taking advantage.

Also, Animal crossing was aimed to the people who didn't played it before which is part of this strategy.

Wii music has receiving too much poison form media and gamers and YET the games is selling.

And as I said just because Nintendo didn't released a new AAA game in a couple of months doesn't mean that they are doomed or that they betrayed the HARDKOREZ...which never even cared about Nintendo in the first place. They are the ones that betrayed Nintendo not the opòssite. Why should Nintendo try to please them when they know they won't even care?

@Resident_Hazard: I don't know about that. I believe Nintendo didn't expect early 3rd party support, after all, they already had experience about DS. But then again, it's Wiis 3rd christmas coming, so they could have expected 3rd parties to be there by now.
As for advertising (or, to be more specific, promoting), Nintendos PR have lately been talking about 3rd party titles.
Of course, it could be, that some title that was supposed to hit christmas market, may have been delayed. Still Nintendo will not have problems with Wii demand.
Where they need the games, is early next year when the demand is at its lowest.

As for the 1st party lineup for christmas, they put out Animal Crossing, Wii Music and Disaster, which has pretty good diversity and one of the titles has pretty big IP behind it.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Bobbuffalo said:
Resident_Hazard said:

Ok I am really tired of those arguments. It is a platform with low development costs, Nintendo is no longer restricting the content. It is powerful enough and it gives them more freedom to make the kind of games they want without spending too much money or learn time. What the hell do they want?! That Nintendo programs for them?! Neither Microsoft nor Sony does that why on earth will Nintendo should do it?! Are 3d parties so spoiled and blind that they need a bigger company to do THEIR JOB?!

Nintendo decided to step aside and let the 2008 holiday season to the cry babies third parties. Is not their fault that they are not taking advantage.

Also, Animal crossing was aimed to the people who didn't played it before which is part of this strategy.

Wii music has receiving too much poison form media and gamers and YET the games is selling.

And as I said just because Nintendo didn't released a new AAA game in a couple of months doesn't mean that they are doomed or that they betrayed the HARDKOREZ...which never even cared about Nintendo in the first place. They are the ones that betrayed Nintendo not the opòssite. Why should Nintendo try to please them when they know they won't even care?

You responded as if I'm one of the haters.  Which is pretty funny.  I guess now I can add another label to what I've been accused of online:  Nintendo fanboy, Microsoft fanboy, Sony fanboy, Sony hater, and Nintendo hater.  It just gets better!

In all honesty, though, Nintendo could really be doing more when it comes to actually working with 3rd parties.  Look at Sony.  Remember the massive ads that they did which showcased a wide variety of 1st/2nd/3rd party games playing on the PS3?  Nintendo needs to do something like that, and put the ads where the hardcore will see them.  That's one thing.  Another thing they could've done was actually give out Wii dev kits when developers wanted them.  Instead, the vast, vast bulk of 3rd party devs were stuck using GameCube dev kits right up to the launch of the Wii.  That's sad.  And it means that higher-quality, Wii-optimized titles went unmade and unstarted well into the lifecycle of the Wii.  At the very soonest, now is when those games, started after the launch, after Wii dev kits were finally received, would start coming out.  Forcing companies to use friend codes and limiting storage space on the Wii also hurt their potential 3rd party support. 

And in the eyes of many third party companies, the Wii is still considered "underpowered."  It's basically a highly effecient original Xbox without a harddrive.  What Nintendo should've done, was make a game like The Conduit that really pushed the system and made it shine.  No, check that, they should've made several games like that.  Not just Super Mario Galaxy.  Zelda, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Barrel Whatever, Battalion Wars II, even Metroid Prime 3 were little more than GameCube games merely plunked onto the Wii.  MP3 barely used the Wii's available power--mostly just on particle effects and bloom lighting.  They should've worked to dispel the myth that the Wii was underpowered--they should've shown the world what it can do--and then inspire companies to do better.  Instead, everyone looks at it like it's as powerful as the PS2 and that's it.  Graphically, it's four times that at least.  Hell, you know who would've shown that?  Factor5.  But Nintendo took so long getting dev kits to companies, Factor5 developed a crappy PS3 game instead.  If they'd have had the Wii and Wiimote, they would have made a Wii game--maybe Lair for the Wii.  Maybe it would have actually been playable--but one thing is certain, few would look at the Wii as underpowered because we all know Factor5 would've put that GPU through it paces, and it would've wow'd the crap out of people.

They need to do more than just lift restrictions on game content and letting anyone sign on to publish crap (like Conspiracy and UFO).  They need to mentor these companies to greatness.  They need to show them the ins and outs of the hardware. 

Animal Crossing being aimed at "people who never played before" is a colorful way of saying that it's an unevolved repeat of the last Animal Crossing.  Now, correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm not, on this), but isn't the Wii supposed to inspire new creativity, new games, new horizons?  Isn't the whole point supposed to be that it's fresh and new?  If that was your goal as a company, wouldn't it seem stupid to contradict that by putting out half-assed rehashes?  How does this inspire 3rd party companies?  Wouldn't it make more sense to make Animal Crossing a highly polished, deeper-than-ever, completely new experience?  Then, not only would you inspire 3rd party devs to the same ends, but you'd show both gamers and Blue Ocean n00bs what kind of grandeur, shall we say, that one game can invoke.  They could've set the standard with Animal Crossing, both for 3rd party devs and in the minds of BOnoobs.  No, it's better they set the bar low, right?  That way the n00bs will have much lower expectations of what Wii games could be, and that makes things much easier on 3rd party yahoos not interested in crafting AAA quality products. 

Wii Music is selling?  Who's surprised?  Nobody.  Blue Ocean n00bs know one thing and one thing well:  If it's a game with "Wii" in the title, it's going to be chock full of n00by fun and goodness.  Some of the worst Nintendo fanboys will buy it just because it's from Nintendo.  From what I've read, Wii Music is every bit as shallow and crappy as the poison the media may be dishing towards it.  And why should we feel it deserves any better if it requires no skill and offers no challenge?  Hey, maybe they should make a pointless Guitar Hero that requires no skill and offers no challenge. 

The thing is, Nintendo shouldn't expect 3rd party companies to carry all the weight.  Nintendo should always be prepared to be the leader when necessary.  They aren't doing that with Animal Crossing or Wii Music.  They're inspiring mediocrity. 

I never said Nintendo betrayed the hardcore, so it's odd that you would inject that into your response.  But Nintendo made a lot of mistakes, and they're stupid ones that any other generation--they knew better than to make them.  Nintendo led the way showing the power and abilities of the SNES, GameCube, and N64.  With the Wii, they've been awfully lazy.

You know I read this article today, and I must say I felt like I got Rick Rolled.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D