By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo Lost the Hardcore Gamer? article by IGN

Gamerace said:
RolStoppable said:
Infamous said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
mr_gappy said:
to be fair i agree with this article there hasnt been a really good hardcore game since mario galaxy, brawl was pitiful in comparison to the brilliant melee, but why should nintendo change this winning formula afterall there a bsuiness they wont be probably be making losses if they focused to much on hardcore games casual is where the bulk of the money.

No melee was an unbalanced turd of the series IMHO, melee was fun I put over 200 hours into that game if not more, but I played Smash on the N64 and now Wii more cause the mechanics were fixed.

Fixed.

Melee > Brawl x100, IMO.

And it still doesn't make any Super Smash Bros. game any good. They are all bad, fact.

.... Must resist... temptation to flame Rolstoppable....  It's only sarcasism designed to sucker fanboys to respond...  BUT HOW ROL HOW? How can you blamphemize the greatness that is SSB?... Damn it.   Fanboy status confirmed.... 

But...but..

The first one was good..

;_;

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

Around the Network

Brawl, GTA and Halo had one thing in common: they are very mediocre and overrated games.

Yeah I don't like SSBB. Is fun, sure it is, but dumb. It really pisses me off that people claims that is the only best game in the wii when that's far from true. There are way much better games than SSBB.

Honestly, I don't understand why that big deal about it.

Resident_Hazard said:
yushire said:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/933/933583p1.html

Seem IGN definitely have a huge meltdown here. Anyway I have a different opinion about this and it involves disruption but still a interesting read notheless.

LOL I wonder if IGN seen the NPD next week XD

Dammit, did you even read the article you posted? It's an editorial, and it ends on a positve note.  IGN doesn't have a huge meltdown or anything like that.  It's about how they understand the dissent being felt by a lot of Wii gamers right now.  It ends with a very positive look to 2009.  I think you formulated your opinion based on the title of the article.  Judging a book by it's cover, so to speak.  The article references Wii sales and NPD, and makes valid points on them.

Honestly, the current drought has two major causes, both oversights by Nintendo:

1.  Nintendo was over-confident in how many 3rd party devs/publishers would step up and fill the void they left.  In large part, it's because the Wii is still considered "underpowered," and in large part because Nintendo didn't do enough to encourage 3rd party companies to jump on-board.  Nintendo should have catered more to their needs and needs to step up support for them, including broad advertising for the Wii that shows off a variety of available 1st, 2nd and 3rd party titles.

2.  Nintendo's faith in their own franchises was misguided.  They felt that Animal Crossing, Wii Music, and Wario Land would be enough to satisfy gamers this holiday.  Unfortunatly, Wii Music is overly shallow and Animal Crossing wasn't improved enough to appeal to core gamers.  I think Nintendo also may have, more secretly, misjudged how long it would take for them to craft more 1st party, more highly polished core gamaes--games like Punch-Out, StarFox, Pikmin, and the like.  Obviously, the next Mario and Zelda are still a long ways off, but Nintendo has other games up their sleeves that they're working on internally, and they just aren't ready yet.

Actually, I read it all. Yeah, theres a positive note but theres a catch it says we have to wait since the whole year of 2008 Nintendo is feeding the Wii owners casual crap which isnt true, IS IT? I mean, month by month Ninty keeps releasing their main franchises. MK Wii and SSBB was one of them and its only this year then Wario Land Shake it again this year, then Animal Crossing this month then S&P 2 and Punch Out the coming year then another Nintendo title the coming year maybe in E3 WHAT DID THEY CAN POSSIBLY WANT?!! >:| Im discussing about IGN here not directly at you.

And we knew IGN will feel the same way this coming year WHY? RE 5, Killzone 2, Tekken 6, SF IV, Skate 2, The Godfather 2,Bionic Commando, F.E.A.R. 2, Star Ocean, etc... and thats the quality games only from Jan-Mar. on HD consoles. So as you can see, even how much Nintendo tried theyre always in lose lose battle if "core gamers" are concerned especially IGN. Thats why Nintendo shift focus to casuals to feed that audience exclusive games only on the Wii.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Bobbuffalo said:
Brawl, GTA and Halo had one thing in common: they are very mediocre and overrated games.

Yeah I don't like SSBB. Is fun, sure it is, but dumb. It really pisses me off that people claims that is the only best game in the wii when that's far from true. There are way much better games than SSBB.

I'm no Smash Bros fan, but I admit that Brawl is really an amazing multiplayer game, the music is great and has a lot of fanservice for the Nintendo fans. I'm really liking it.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

I'm at an odd place with Nintendo. I still have love for them from the old days, but it has lessened quite a bit. Although, I have not counted Nintendo out. I know there will be some cool Nintendo games at least like a new Zelda that i'll want to buy. Also, the conduit looks quite impressive, and I am definitely getting that. I guess you could say i'm leaning towards Sony and Microsoft a lot more these days.

~Currently Playing Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank: FTOD, and Resistance: Retribution~

Around the Network
Soma said:
Bobbuffalo said:

I'm no Smash Bros fan, but I admit that Brawl is really an amazing multiplayer game, the music is great and has a lot of fanservice for the Nintendo fans. I'm really liking it.

Ah yeah the fan service is probably the best part of it XD is a wet dream for any Nintendo megafan hehe

I think everyone is missing the point of this thread. There should be two things everyone here needs to ask themselves:

1. Do you consider yourself a hardcore gamer and why?

2. If so, are you satisfied with the Wii and why?

In my case my answers are:

1. Yes, because Ive been playing games nonstop for over 20 years

2. No, because the Wii is lacking in too many areas.

It is that simple

KichiVerde said:
I think everyone is missing the point of this thread. There should be two things everyone here needs to ask themselves:

In my case my answers are:

1. Yes, because Ive been playing games nonstop for over 20 years

2. No, because the Wii is lacking in too many areas.

It is that simple

1. No, because I've been playing nonstop for over 20 years, and gaming was becoming boring and repetitive to me.

2. Yes, because it made gaming fresh and new to me again.

I understand "hardcore gamer" to the person that is still satisfied with the traditional gaming. In that way Nintendo did not appeal to the hardcore gamer. But Nintendo didn't abandoned the Core gamer either, they are satisfying traditional gamers that were getting bored of videogames, and at the same time they are satisfying new gamers.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Soma said:
KichiVerde said:

1. No, because I've been playing nonstop for over 20 years, and gaming was becoming boring and repetitive to me.

I understand "hardcore gamer" to the person that is still satisfied with the traditional gaming. In that way Nintendo did not appeal to the hardcore gamer. But Nintendo didn't abandoned the Core gamer either, they are satisfying traditional gamers that were getting bored of videogames, and at the same time they are satisfying new gamers.

1. I don't know what a "hardcore" gamer is. But I have played almost everything and been playing for more than 30 years. (Yes, I starated on pong clones that ate quarters).

2. I referred to the Wii as a "little white box of joy. It does everything I want it to well enough for me. And it gives many thigns a fresh spin.

So I am far more like Soma than KichiVerde.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:
Soma said:
KichiVerde said:

1. I don't know what a "hardcore" gamer is. But I have played almost everything and been playing for more than 30 years. (Yes, I starated on pong clones that ate quarters).

2. I referred to the Wii as a "little white box of joy. It does everything I want it to well enough for me. And it gives many thigns a fresh spin.

So I am far more like Soma than KichiVerde.

Mike from Morgantown

"Hardcore" gamer?  Well, I guess this is a very subjective word, and not everyone will take it to mean the same thing.  And to be honest I really dont like the word so much for that reason.  What I should have been saying is "veteran" gamer.  And in my opinion I would consider that to be someone who has consistently played video games for 15 years or more on most consoles and or PC. So that would be at least from the days of the SNES and Sega Genisis onward.

I think the vast majority of happy Wii users do not fit in to the "veteran" category, whereas the the vast majority of dissatisfied Wii users do.