By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 Price cut to $300 by March

300 range sounds more like 350 in time for Killzone 2. Expected. I doubt 299 unless they make more cuts to another SKU. Maybe reintroduce the 40GB with Killzone 2 packed in for 349.99.

Thank God I got the 80GB with BC.

Around the Network

People act as if the ps3 is still lossing sony 200 dollars a console, its barely hurting them at all now, they should break profit by early next year.

mM

nice . they need a price drop quickly

That's still rumor dude. This info would only hurt '08 sales though.

leo-j said:
People act as if the ps3 is still lossing sony 200 dollars a console, its barely hurting them at all now, they should break profit by early next year.

I agree that Sony probably can afford a price drop; however, it's funny that Sony can do 3 $100 price drops within 2/1 years and that's fine, but when MS does one $100 price drop within 3 years they're (MS) desperate. And "teh XBoxz doomed!" said by the so-called people.

Around the Network
leo-j said:

While this may be true, if they were to cut prices $100 without cutting back on the hardware of that SKU, they'd be taking another $120+ loss per console again, which I don't think they want to go there.

agree with the above. If the PS3 is hit hard this xmas with sales of 2-1 maybe even 3-1 by the 360 then that will knock the PS3 out of the hunt for 2nd race. With a gap in US of near 9m if that is the case then Sony will not gamble on a price cut and lose so much money in the hope they will catch the 360. That would be company suicide. The reason the 360 is doing so well now is simply down to its low price and the fact some of the casual market have gone for it. The PS3 will never be as low in price as the 360 and will never attract the casual market that is making the Wii so dominant hardware wise and giving the 360 a boost. I just cannot see any % of that market holding off to buy a PS3.
The PS3 needs a price cut, and it needs it now. Having one in March in a slow period for games due to everyone paying off their xmas 08 bills will have next to no effect on sales accept maybe halt the PS3 slowdown for a bit. Personally i think the biggest mistake Sony have made this gen is not having a price cut for this holiday. But maybe they are now not caring about 2nd place, they just want to make money as that is what they are, a buisness. They are not in the buisness to throw money away and run at a loss. If this holiday sees a increase of 1m-2m in US for the 360 over the PS3 then this one is over regardles of price cut or not.

Hyruken said:
agree with the above. If the PS3 is hit hard this xmas with sales of 2-1 maybe even 3-1 by the 360 then that will knock the PS3 out of the hunt for 2nd race. With a gap in US of near 9m if that is the case then Sony will not gamble on a price cut and lose so much money in the hope they will catch the 360. That would be company suicide. The reason the 360 is doing so well now is simply down to its low price and the fact some of the casual market have gone for it. The PS3 will never be as low in price as the 360 and will never attract the casual market that is making the Wii so dominant hardware wise and giving the 360 a boost. I just cannot see any % of that market holding off to buy a PS3.
The PS3 needs a price cut, and it needs it now. Having one in March in a slow period for games due to everyone paying off their xmas 08 bills will have next to no effect on sales accept maybe halt the PS3 slowdown for a bit. Personally i think the biggest mistake Sony have made this gen is not having a price cut for this holiday. But maybe they are now not caring about 2nd place, they just want to make money as that is what they are, a buisness. They are not in the buisness to throw money away and run at a loss. If this holiday sees a increase of 1m-2m in US for the 360 over the PS3 then this one is over regardles of price cut or not.

I agree.

As much as it is fun for us to see it as a race with gold, silver and bronze medals, this is not how the companies think about it. For them - you win a medal only if you make money. Otherwise - you should not be in the race.

Sony said that their priority is to get the PS3 to at least a break even point. In 2008 they will be losing over a billion dollars on the PS3 - so they have a long way to go.

To cut to loses they need to balance the price witht he costs. They must lower the costs and have a price that at least will cover their costs. Taking the price down by $100 will mean another lose of $1B dollars in revenue. So all together they'll need to cut $2B in costs (the $1B lose of 2008 + said revenue lose). A tall order.

Cutting $2B in anual costs is very hard. Just to put it in perspective: $2B in cost reduction it is akin to firing 30,000 employees.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

Here's the problem with a March price cut. Yes, it will increase sales during the slow part of the year. But once the holidays come around, you'll see a $149 360 arcade and a $199 Wii, nullifying the March price cut.

Hmmm... I just hope it's nothing like the 360 Arcade...