Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Strikers Charged US Sales Expectations

Neos said:
naznatips said:
ckmlb said:

List your expectations:

1st week- 150,000

1st month (August)- 250,000

I expect this not to be as big a game as Mario Party 8 for several reasons:

1. Soccer is not a very popular sport in the US.
2. Not as casual centric as Mario Party 8 (even though it is accessible)
3. I don't think Nintendo is going to heavily advertise this game. When Warioware, Mario Party, Paper Mario and Wii Play came out, there were a lot of TV ads. Pokemon Battle Revolution didn't get much in TV ads compared to those, and I expect Mario Strikers to be closer to that. I still haven't seen a single TV ad for Mario Strikers.

I expect numbers similar to Pokemon Battle Revolution, but better because I expect more core gamer adoption of this than that game. Most of the buyers will be traditional Nintendo fans, some core gamers and some casuals.

It won't be a huge seller to either Core or casuals because it's not big enough for core gamers to buy it in huge numbers (Metroid Prime is coming soon) and it's not casual/party game enough for the casuals to buy in huge numbers.

Strong debut and then it fades away like Pokemon Battle but performs better overall because it's a better game.

1. Didn't stop the first game from selling .91 million in America

2. May lose some casuals, but will gain a lot of core with a very good online system

3. I've already seen advertisements for it on TV (2 different ones in fact). Again, you are suggesting it's going to sell less than half the first Mario Strikers even though this one has online play and is a much better game overall. So yeah, I'm saying I completely disagree with you.

America:

First week, 300K

First month, 600K (with long legs)

Lifetime: 1 million plus.

yea i can talk with you:D

I should clarify that the reason I expect it to sell almost as well as Mario Party 1st week, even if I don't expect it to sell as well in final sales numbers, is because it's primarily a core game and core gamers buy games when they are released, not slowly over time.

Around the Network
ckmlb said:

List your expectations:

1st week- 150,000

1st month (August)- 250,000

I expect this not to be as big a game as Mario Party 8 for several reasons:

1. Soccer is not a very popular sport in the US.
2. Not as casual centric as Mario Party 8 (even though it is accessible)
3. I don't think Nintendo is going to heavily advertise this game. When Warioware, Mario Party, Paper Mario and Wii Play came out, there were a lot of TV ads. Pokemon Battle Revolution didn't get much in TV ads compared to those, and I expect Mario Strikers to be closer to that. I still haven't seen a single TV ad for Mario Strikers.

I was going to say the same thing.  On the one hand the Gamecube version wasn't as good and did alright but then it was also released with a 12 million install base and was one of the only good major games for the Cube at that point.  Overall I would think they would cancel and result in 120-150k first week and 250-300k forst month.  It's just hard to say since soccer really isn't popular but this isn't traditional soccer (heck if the World Cup had players flipping 20 feet in the air to kick 3 balls in rapid succession and 12-8 scores even I would watch it).

mM

I don`t expect it to be that big, though it will have decent sales. I think 100-150k first week, first month 300k. LTD in USA, 500k. WW LTD 2 million at much. I`m far more interested in Fifa`s sales, and if Konami finally wakes up, Pro Evo ( still not confirmed nor denied that it`s coming to Wii).

stof said:

Yes, but Canada probably only represents about 10% of NA numbers, and Mexico is negligable, if it's even counted in the NA numbers (after all, Australia is often counted in European numbers by some).

88% of Mexico is in North America.  

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network

I actually agree with ckmlb's prediction. I just have a gut feeling that this game is not going to go over as well as MP8, though it will have good legs and easily do 1mil in NA alone.

I would predict 180k for first week, 300k for first month.

Consoles I Own: NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, DS, X360, Wii

It's hard to call because the first game came out much later in the Gamecube's life when it had most of it's installed base in the U.S. Also the first game's sales in a series don't always mean the second will match (take Metroid Prime 2 for example). And the first game didn't get really good reviews (it averaged a 76 on metacritic).

With all that being said though I think it's going to do well because the Wii fanbase is literally starved for good games (or at least decent games) and this is coming out at the right time. I predict 315,000 first month.

Legend11 said:
It's hard to call because the first game came out much later in the Gamecube's life when it had most of it's installed base in the U.S. Also the first game's sales in a series don't always mean the second will match (take Metroid Prime 2 for example). And the first game didn't get really good reviews (it averaged a 76 on metacritic).

With all that being said though I think it's going to do well because the Wii fanbase is literally starved for good games (or at least decent games) and this is coming out at the right time. I predict 315,000 first month.

The Wii already has 3/4 of the install base of the GC when the first game was released (pretty sure the GC was at around 12 million when Strikers came out).  That really doesn't mean that much anyway though.  That's like saying Halo 3 is going to sell much less than Halo 2 because the 360 userbase is so much smaller than the Xbox userbase was when it came out.

I'm playing it since yesterday and yes he really have the potential to be a big seller on the Wii.

As Stof said it so many times, the first one sold 0.91 millions in america but it was released in late 2005, the last good holiday season for the GC. Charged have 5 years to surpass what the first one did in one year.

Add in that the selling effect that we see on the Wii since launch, a person buy the game and play it with friends, some of them will buy it after and do the same things. We generally see that with the casual crowd and this is one fun multiplayer game that can appeal to casual and hardcore, primary the hardcore because it's one of the good game coming this year.

Gamertag : Dark Red Icarus  

Gamerscore : 29000!!!! still growing

PSN ID : Gamer9851

Now Playing : Soul Calibur 4 and World of Warcraft

ckmlb said:
Neos said:

Naaaaaah, i think you're wrong on this one mate

i seriously expect 250-300k first week

400-450k first month

1st Party Nintendo Wii games this year-

Mario Party 8 1st week- 310,000
Wii Play 1st week- 180,000
Super Paper Mario 1st week- 165,000
Pokemon Battle Revolution 1st week- 145,000
Wario Ware 1st week- 125,000

It doesn't have the extra remote of Wii Play.
It doesn't have the casual party game appeal of Mario Party or Wario Ware.
It doesn't have the big core gamer appeal of Paper Mario (probably the 2nd most crtically acclaimed Wii game so far 86% avg.)
It doesn't have the license of Pokemon.
It's a soccer game.

I don't think I'm that far off, but if you think this game is gonna do better than all those opening weak and match MP 8's huge first week, I think you are really overestimating.

It has online play - something that is really important in the US. Its also the best multiplayer game on the Wii (easily).

Its also a "sports" title (well - sort of) - and we all know how sports mad the US are. Nice timing with Madden coming out.

And its a much BETTER title than MP8 (in many ways) - although a "hardcore" title, rather than a "casual" one (IMO). 

200k first week, 550k first month. Could be a lot bigger though. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099