By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 5 Accused of Racism...

Because he's a foreigner working in the country as aid or something like that...

And I just spent the last hour reading through comments on Kotaku, Black Looks, and here...ugh, I'm just sick of it all.

I think the general consensus is, Kym Platt is an idiot, and one person should never be treated as a spokesperson for an entire race.

You should read Kym's first reply on Black Looks: "Yes… I am more comfortable with the zombies being white. In fact, ALL zombies should be white from this day forth."

To be honest, I'm sick of racism against white people. This may make me sound like a racist, but it's my honest opinion. For quite a while, black people have been able to say whatever they want about white people, and if anybody questions them, they're labeled a racist. It doesn't work like that for white people...it's ridiculous. I'm all for equality, but some of the biggest names in black rights seem to have double standards. Same for feminism...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

BenKenobi88: While there may be racism against white people in the term of standards, you need to at least be fair: Racism against black people actually caused harm, though hopefully that's decreasing.

Racism against whites normally just causes us to shake our heads and wonder why it exists, then move on because it's not really a huge issue. Mostly, there is race crime, but overall...

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

naznatips said:
ckmlb said:
RE 4 and RE 5 > All Previous REs. I don't care if it's zombies or any other mutated humans, as long as the game is amazing and I don't see this one not being amazing like 4.

The best thing Capcom ever did to this franchise is totally change it in 4 and make it an action/3rd person shooter instead of the horror/survival clunky game it was before.

I was always a huge fan of the old Resident Evil games, ever since the first but I accept that the series has just gotten better this way.

I don't think so.   All of RE's primary developers are gone.  I expect RE4 > other REs > RE5.  Shinji Mikami, the creator of the series, no longer works for capcom (thanks partially to their decision to release RE4 on the PS2 and thanks partially to them disbanding their best studio: Clover).  I won't give it a death sentence yet but I do not have high hopes at all for RE5.

You are way too negative.... even if they just copy RE 4 with shiny new graphics, new story and a new setting that would already put it ahead of most RE games and that's the minimum that will happen.

To me, the game looks frantic, kicking it up a notch from the RE 4 action to the level of a very intense feeling of fighting for your life. Simply because Mikami left doesn't mean it will be less good than RE 4, it doesn't even mean it won't be better. They can build up from what he did and that's what it looks like they're doing.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

I still don't understand why they couldn't make an African hero? I mean, wouldn't that make more sense any way and complicate the story in a good way (like the original RE). The character was fighting people from their own town and own country. Their is that moral dilemma, "these are people I knew."

I liked RE4, and it was the story best in the way it was told, but it wasn't the most compelling. The hero had no regrets about having to kill back woods Spaniards.

More reasons why this game is going to suck,
1. Stereotype: "White aid worker, trying to help the poor Africans" - Reality: "Africans have given up on trying to get real aid from the west, the AU is leading the way for African nations helping one another."
2. Capcom executive: "Hey, Um, the RE creator quit..."
Capcom executive 2: "Well, lets copy RE4, put it in another country"
3. The big deal is light... LIGHT. What ever happened to good level design, believability, progressing the actual gameplay. Light is a cool addition, but the big feature. Come on.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

superchunk said:
Sorry your right, i wasn't paying attention, i thought it was in mexico, not spain. my bad

You are in Mexico... Tucson = Mexico. Just kidding superchunk.

Around the Network

I really like Steven's idea of making the hero a local man (or woman). It solves (to an extent) the image problem of a white man gunning down Africans, and it provides a lot of pathos.

They're not really reaching for pathos from the zombies though...you don't typically feel sympathy or anything for the brain-eaters...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
They're not really reaching for pathos from the zombies though...you don't typically feel sympathy or anything for the brain-eaters...

But the zombies were once human beings. Countrymen, neighbors, perhaps friends and family. While we can assume that Chris regrets their fate, he probably won't feel a lot of remorse for the nameless shells that he never knew as people. The better zombie films always play this chord.

Well...who's to say Chris wasn't good friends or like family with the people there?
I'm guessing he won't be...but still. I suppose that could have made for a better story...but that's a fault in the story...not a racist mistake.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Anyway, I wish that the civil rights people would stop trying to raise issues about "little evils" such as this, ones that aren't really that racist even when being charitable towards their arguements.

I'm sure that the people that complain have said little about poverty conditions, poor schools, employment or any other serious and real condition affecting minority populations.

It's the same way with this recent thing where al sharpton and a bunch of community leaders, had a summit to put an "end to the N word". Good for them, but this is not going to help real people. Having a job helps real people. Going to a good high school helps real people. Having a crime-free neighborhood helps real people, not whether somebody goes to africa to kill black zomies.