By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 5 Accused of Racism...

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/08/01/african-womens-blog-critical-of-resident-evil-5-trailer/

Capcom’s Resident Evil 5 hasn’t even got a release date, but it’ s already drawn the ire of a blog devoted to African women.

Black Looks calls into question the game’s setting as depicted in the trailer, first shown at this year’s E3 in Santa Monica:

The new Resident Evil video game depicts a white man in what appears to be Africa killing Black people. The Black people are supposed to be zombies and the white man’s job is to destroy them and save humanity…

This is problematic on so many levels, including the depiction of Black people as inhuman savages, the killing of Black people by a white man in military clothing, and the fact that this video game is marketed to children and young adults. Start them young… fearing, hating, and destroying Black people.

The point has been made by some gamers as well. In fact, GamePolitics reader Quad9Damage raised the same issue in a letter to GP just the other day.

If this was any other place in the world it would be a total non issue. I can't believe how much ruckus people can make over something so insignificant.

Do the people who run that blog even know that the people making the game are Japanese and are not even white? How they can jump to this conclusion is beyond me. I guess it's time for Capcom to discover a new back RE 5 main character totally out of nowhere lol...

So sad.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

So why weren't mexican's all pissed off at RE4?

or anyone else all pissed at RE (insert other version here)

Some people have nothing better to do than complain. The game has no racists cannotations what so ever. It is about deseases that infect people and must be terminated, thats it.

We should all put posts on their site. I will, right now...

I told you... Jesse Jackson was not gonna like this game.

If the roll was fliped it would then be ok.

(Black guy killing white women) 

我是广州人

Well, saying "They're Japanese, not white" doesn't cut it. Japanese media has for eyars featured egregious racism towards blacks. Which, to be fair, is to large degree because for decades the only portrayals of blacks the Japanese saw was from egregiously racist American media.

That said, I don't think there was any racist intent. I just don't see how Capcom could not have foreseen the problems that would arise with a game featuring a heavily-armed white man mowing down crowds of Africans. I love the RE series, but you can't write this off. It's not avowedly racist, but it is incredibly insensitive.

Around the Network

I don't agree that it's really racist, but I can't say I didn't see this coming. Anyone remember the shit San Andreas took for having a black main character, despite the fact that the ones before it were both white?

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I am still going to buy that game no matter what race all the zombies are.

How come Resident Evil 4 wasn't deemed anti-europe when all the Zombies were Spainiards. There are just so many things wrong with this argument.

superchunk said:

Oh, dear God.

It's ironic that someone disavowing racist intentions would assume that all Spanish-speaking people are Mexican.

superchunk said:

or anyone else all pissed at RE (insert other version here)

Some people have nothing better to do than complain. The game has no racists cannotations what so ever. It is about deseases that infect people and must be terminated, thats it.

We should all put posts on their site. I will, right now...

mexicans??  it was in spain.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

To be honest I saw this one comming ...