By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 5 Accused of Racism...

Well there are only black people in the game acting like there going to eat a white man what are you going to expect them to think?!?! Its racist, beucase there are black people in the game.. and when there are white people its not racist..seriously people these days..

mM
Around the Network
superchunk said:
So why weren't mexican's all pissed off at RE4?
If I rememer correctly, the game was set in Spain, not in Mexico... but even if it was, we wouldnt have given a f**k

Probably because it was Spaniards not Mexicans in RE4 superchunk. Still a relevant point though. That is unless she's in the camp like the judge from Southpark who told Cartman that "next time he hurts someone he better damn well make sure that person is the same race as him".

Either way it's idiotic in my view, but then Blackhawk Down was also decried as racist when that was simple history so it's not surprising. When I saw the trailer for the first time my thought after "sweeeetness, RE5 video" was how long before someone says it's racist. It's actually been a little longer than I expected.

Edit- wow, I was a bit slow it seems on correcting superchunk.

Desroko said:
Well, saying "They're Japanese, not white" doesn't cut it. Japanese media has for eyars featured egregious racism towards blacks. Which, to be fair, is to large degree because for decades the only portrayals of blacks the Japanese saw was from egregiously racist American media.

That said, I don't think there was any racist intent. I just don't see how Capcom could not have foreseen the problems that would arise with a game featuring a heavily-armed white man mowing down crowds of Africans. I love the RE series, but you can't write this off. It's not avowedly racist, but it is incredibly insensitive.

The reason why it matters is because the blog suggests this is the usual white racism agains blacks by implying they are savage or after whites or evil or something. None of this holds any water when the people who made the game are not white and thus are not engaging in some kind of race war mentality.

I will bet you anything that the people who run this blog have no idea where this game even comes from.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Wow... Now Resident Evil 5 is gonna sell twice as much due to bad publicity.

"I want the game on the news!!!"

Irony

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
Desroko said:
Well, saying "They're Japanese, not white" doesn't cut it. Japanese media has for eyars featured egregious racism towards blacks. Which, to be fair, is to large degree because for decades the only portrayals of blacks the Japanese saw was from egregiously racist American media.

That said, I don't think there was any racist intent. I just don't see how Capcom could not have foreseen the problems that would arise with a game featuring a heavily-armed white man mowing down crowds of Africans. I love the RE series, but you can't write this off. It's not avowedly racist, but it is incredibly insensitive.

The reason why it matters is because the blog suggests this is the usual white racism agains blacks by implying they are savage or after whites or evil or something. None of this holds any water when the people who made the game are not white and thus are not engaging in some kind of race war mentality.

I will bet you anything that the people who run this blog have no idea where this game even comes from.

I agree that they likely don't realize it's made by Japanese developers, however he is also right that there is an ongoing history of racism in Japan, and Capcom really should have seen this comming.  Honestly I'm surprised it took so long.  The instant San Andreas was shown the internet lit up with outrage that a black man could ever be a criminal!  It's not like the previous 2 characters were white, no obviously the whole game was showing black men are all evil criminals!

Sorry your right, i wasn't paying attention, i thought it was in mexico, not spain. my bad.

ckmlb said:
Desroko said:

That's debatable - you don't need to be white to be racist towards blacks, and the fact that the main character is white and not Japanese does not automatically disprove racist intent.

But then, I said all along that I don't believe that it's intended to be racist. "Intended" is the key word. Given the very long and sad history of European/American exploitation and domination of blacks, this is simply insensitive.

I guess the people complaining want to replace Africans in the African village with white people.

Thats ridiculous. People are passing judgement before the whole game is even out. 

The USA has become a nation of whiners. 

lmao @ what superchunk said though..

superchunk said:
So why weren't mexican's all pissed off at RE4?

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

I said it. I said it.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.