By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 5 Accused of Racism...

I dont have read all (later for sure)

- I saw it coming since I saw the trailer
- Average Japanese people, in general, dont like black people a lot (go work in japan and u will understand what it does to be different just because ur not an asian).
- I dont think it is racist since there were already White zombie (and a lot lol) before, and RE4, with similar SPANISH peon, was ok
- I understand that there is something strange about the situation :
==> white man killing exclusively black people
==> Africa, a continent in a so bad situation in te real world
==> the game looks so realistic ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network

The claim is completely baseless. Anyone that bother to do the most basic of research on the RE franchise would no this. This is just another example of someone does not know anything about the subject they are speaking on making uninformed and damaging statements.

Kwaad, I wouldn't say your statements are racist. I would say they are stereotypical. The NBA is prime example. Their are growing number of European players that are joining the league. Most would consider them "white" and they have problem playing agianst the supposedly more athletic "black" players. Its all about focus. The focus in the black community is athletics and entertainment not education. So of course their are going to be a higher percentage of great athletes coming out of the "black" community. European players often put obscene hours into practing their basketball skills and what do you know a growing number of them are exceeding in the NBA. In African countries its common for them to know 4 or 5 languages where here in the US we usually only know one. Why? They have to know several languages to communicate. A society or community will excel at whatever the focus on and falter on whatever they neglect.

Darc Requiem said:
The claim is completely baseless. Anyone that bother to do the most basic of research on the RE franchise would no this. This is just another example of someone does not know anything about the subject they are speaking on making uninformed and damaging statements.

Kwaad, I wouldn't say your statements are racist. I would say they are stereotypical. The NBA is prime example. Their are growing number of European players that are joining the league. Most would consider them "white" and they have problem playing agianst the supposedly more athletic "black" players. Its all about focus. The focus in the black community is athletics and entertainment not education. So of course their are going to be a higher percentage of great athletes coming out of the "black" community. European players often put obscene hours into practing their basketball skills and what do you know a growing number of them are exceeding in the NBA. In African countries its common for them to know 4 or 5 languages where here in the US we usually only know one. Why? They have to know several languages to communicate. A society or community will excel at whatever the focus on and falter on whatever they neglect.

Stereotyping is a form of racism because it assumes that one is like all, and attributes qualities of the stereotype to the individual (profiling).  When you see a tall black person, it is racist if you immediately think basketball (not necessarily discrimination or hate, but it is racism).  When performing a job interview, some people think statements like the one I made bold.  I prefer to judge applicant where I work on what I perceive of their skills and character through an interview process.

That statement you made may be part of the reason for individual atheletes but it is not the only reason why there are so many black atheletes.  Minorities are promoted in certain professions (Sales, Sports, Military, etc.) because success in these fields is mostly based on skill, instead of subjective interviews.  Partially because of discrimination (i.e. Minorities are held back) and mostly on perception (some minorities recognize that these professions are more level and decide to follow that path so that they don't have to face as much discrimination).

The trailer, and most likely the game, are insensitive (which isn't that big of a deal) and counterproductive (a big deal) to the direction the world should be heading.  People treating eachother as equals.  Not the game, but the developers glorifying the White Man's Burden as some type of heroic endevor and portraying the residents of third world countries as violent mob thinkers (before zombification) and helpless to solve problems for themselves.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:
Darc Requiem said:

Stereotyping is a form of racism because it assumes that one is like all, and attributes qualities of the stereotype to the individual (profiling). When you see a tall black person, it is racist if you immediately think basketball (not necessarily discrimination or hate, but it is racism). When performing a job interview, some people think statements like the one I made bold. I prefer to judge applicant where I work on what I perceive of their skills and character through an interview process.

That statement you made may be part of the reason for individual atheletes but it is not the only reason why there are so many black atheletes. Minorities are promoted in certain professions (Sales, Sports, Military, etc.) because success in these fields is mostly based on skill, instead of subjective interviews. Partially because of discrimination (i.e. Minorities are held back) and mostly on perception (some minorities recognize that these professions are more level and decide to follow that path so that they don't have to face as much discrimination).

The trailer, and most likely the game, are insensitive (which isn't that big of a deal) and counterproductive (a big deal) to the direction the world should be heading. People treating eachother as equals. Not the game, but the developers glorifying the White Man's Burden as some type of heroic endevor and portraying the residents of third world countries as violent mob thinkers (before zombification) and helpless to solve problems for themselves.

Oh but I disagree. Excelling in academics or showing off great intelligence is looked down upon. I know this not only from observation or anecdotal evidence of others but from personal experience. I actually dumbed myself down at one point as a teenager to make things easier on myself. Its something that I regret. It was very short sighted of me but my point remains.

As for the actual topic at hand, you have to consider the source. The source of the blog made blatantly racist statements on top of her misinformed initial statements. That removes any sort of credibility she has.

Hum ...

I believe their is differences between people and yes, I believe that for some reason, black people are better for some sort of sport...

I mean, sincerely, 100m record :

75 people succeed to get under 10 sec ==> all "black"
(at least not european/asian)

Yes, I agree, the average non focus of white people (since they make other study), and the focus of black people on sport (easier access, cheaper in general) should help to explain : more white make intellectual job, more black make physical job.

but, I dont think seeing difference between people that below to different group (like white and black) is racist.
I see some STATISTICAL differences between these groups, it is not racism.

Just look at this :
I live in France,
I went in Spain 2 month ago : I saw that people are, in general, smaller = difference

Since Im not stupid, I know too that, in average, black people are taller, And I think it should help in some sport like Basketball.
It is not racism.

I think the good thing is NOT to say "there is no difference between ethnic group", but to say "there are differences but they are statistical meaning that u will find tall and little people in all the ethnics groups whatever their color".

My conclusion on this point :

"Asian" people are usually smaller than "white" or "black":
but,
Actual Worldrecordman of "TALLEST MAN" : an asian guy who lives in China ...

There are big difference IN each ethnic group
And there are difference between these ethnic group

INTRA ethnic difference >> INTER ethnic difference.

If u are white, ur white neighboor may be more different from u that ur black one.

Racism begin when u say "He is black, so he is good at sport and stupid"
"He is asian, so he owns everybody in computer knowledge and ping-pong"
"He is white, so he is civilised but with a tendency to try to dominate what is aroud him" 

Time to Work !

Around the Network
libellule said:

Racism begin when u say "He is black, so he is good at sport and stupid"
"He is asian, so he owns everybody in computer knowledge and ping-pong"
"He is white, so he is civilised but with a tendency to try to dominate what is aroud him"

Yup, that's more or less my point. That is true racism right there. And I feel I am a racist, as I feel there are overall cultural/physical diffrences between people. Genetics is a fun example. I will do a reverse racism thing this time.

Your black self-made millionaire son is given to a family of poor white-trash.
The poor white-trash's son, is given to the millionaire.

In 40 years, there is a good chance, the millionaire's son will have money, white the white son he raised will be in debt and poor.

The rich kid, was tought how to live a life to make money, to swindle and make money at every corner, but he fails in life, and ends up poor.  (The white kid raised by rich black)

The poor kid, was tought decent morals, dealt with fighting family, and diviroce, and struggle. Never had any money to make anything of himself, but he saved, and saved, untill one day he opens a shop, and is also a self made millionaire. (The black kid raised by poor white)

This is my example of upbrining only means so much. I think genetics means just as much as anything else.

I also want to point this out, and I'm not trying to discriminate... but in the 1700's. When the slave traders came, they didnt take the educated coastal people... they ran away. They took the primitive savages.

I said it in my first post. I dont have a single problem with color. I have a problem with attitude, and I profile people, and I'm good at it. I profile people 99% of the time right in real life. On average I dont like 'blacks' but that's not becuase of their color. It's the culture, and the way they treat themselves, each other, and most imporantly, the way they treat me. I dont care if your black, white, yellow, green, red, pink, blue. If your an asshole to me. I'm not gonna like you. There's alot of really good black people in this country, and world. There's alot of bad ones. But I'm not saying there's not bad white ones either. People should accept their color, strengths, and weaknesses. It's simple life. Use what you got going for you, and keep away from the shit that drags you down. American white people are muts. I dont think we do great at 'anything' other than maybe manuplation, and trying to take over the world...

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

I'm wondering if I missed something in the Trailer. I'd like to go back and look at it, but I can't really at the moment. Many people have posted that a white guy is in Africa to aid the locals, or is there to save them from themselves. Is there some way that the trailer explained that?

I just saw Chris Redfield in Africa and he commented about many causalties in the past years, that he didn't know if the fight was worth it, and said "I have a job to do". And, the emblem on his shoulder looked like STARS or something similar (I couldn't quite make it out). So my assumption is that he was in Africa tracking down and fighting against Umbrella. Again, thats an assumption, but I think it's better than he was there for Aid.

My only problem with the trailer personally, was that it didn't in ANY WAY explain what the story would be. I thought it looked awesome. But I'd really like to know what the story is. I don't know where the racism is coming from. Specially when there is no story to support racism or not.

I certainly hope they don't change the main character to a black character. Simply because I was excited to have Chris Redfield as the main character again. I've been wanting to know whats happened to him for a long time now. And who's that chick in the end?

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

"Psychologist Kazuo Mori saying that most Japanese were surprised to learn that “Little Black Sambo” – back on the best-seller list after being withdrawn in 1988 – had racist overtones. "

If you are looking for racism you are going to find it reguardless of whether it is or isn't. How about Blade, Black guy killing tons of white guys. I never heard anyone once complain about it. Why is that ok. Or its ok to say white man can't dance or can't jump but its not ok to say anything negative about black people even if it is a proven statistic like blacks have lower average SAT scores.

If you are offended don't play it, but don't ruin it for the rest of us who just want to play a video game. I don't want the release to get pushed back and make dumb changes.

I think zombies are more of a gray color regardless of whether they are black or white. Just a thought.