By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 5 Accused of Racism...

What's racist is to assume that Africa can't be a setting for a videogame because of the continent's predominant race. It's a lesser form of racism; one born out of good intentions that springs from ignorance, but it's still racism.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
stof said:
What's racist is to assume that Africa can't be a setting for a videogame because of the continent's predominant race. It's a lesser form of racism; one born out of good intentions that springs from ignorance, but it's still racism.

Agreed...but you're not going to get everybody to agree with you there.

I'm gonna have fun with this game the same way I had fun with RE4...I don't care what race the zombies are, and neither should you...

If you don't want to buy this game because it supports racism or imperialism or whatever, you do that.  I don't care, so I'm gonna get the game and have fun.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

stof said:

I don't think anyone's saying that Africa can't be a setting for a videogame, just that they're inviting criticism by the way they've framed things. The trailer doesn't provide any details of the story, but they make it look like "white foreigner comes to save black people from destroying themselves." There are all sorts of ways they could change things to make this come across better. If they used a local hero rather than a foreigner and/or if they emphasized the Africans being used by Umbrella Corp they wouldn't be drawing this criticism. 

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
Non Sequor said:
stof said:

I don't think anyone's saying that Africa can't be a setting for a videogame, just that they're inviting criticism by the way they've framed things. The trailer doesn't provide any details of the story, but they make it look like "white foreigner comes to save black people from destroying themselves." There are all sorts of ways they could change things to make this come across better. If they used a local hero rather than a foreigner and/or if they emphasized the Africans being used by Umbrella Corp they wouldn't be drawing this criticism. 

I think that's the most important word right there. Trailer. We don't have any idea what the story is for this game. When the game comes out, it might actually be a rather scathing criticism of corporate abuse in Africa (Umbrella corp exploiting Africans)

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

People, there is a logical explaination for all this: Chris Redfield contracted the K K K virus.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

Around the Network

Watch some pussy senator jump all over this, would get him plenty exposure on the idiot news shows.

Killzone3 said:
Watch some pussy senator jump all over this, would get him plenty exposure on the idiot news shows.

So your fighting the perception of racism with moronic sexism? interesting tactic.

Anyway, if you want a really racist game, look to Castle Crashers:

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Ok i could deal with the brown face-masks, but when those litle blackface characters popped at the end, that was terrible.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

I really wasn't even thinking anything of the trailer till I saw the complaint about it being some kind of 'racist trailer' for kids.

I can see where complaints can come from, but I fail to see how the trailer (and maybe game) is made for that purpose. The only thing I really saw was a trailer of a video game that looks like it'll be about the continued struggle against the Umbrella Corporation and their dangerous experiments that have ravaged multiple areas throughout the world.