By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Scruff7 said:
the starter pack hasn't been out everywhere in Europe yet,

But it has been out for some weeks in some other places. I know it has been out at least in Scandinavia, and in Denmark it's at a lower price than PS3 used to cost.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Shinra said:
Last week Sont stated it has sold 4,48 million worldwide.
And that's no shipping amount, but they state they have sold this number.

So why do you and VGChartz stick with <4.0 million?

please... lets not start this one again... check the other threads, been dealt with quite enough...

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

which threads? can't find them.

Shinra said:
Last week Sony stated it has sold 4,48 million worldwide.

Please take a moment and watch the animation in my signature. Hopefully that should clear it up for you.

The gist is this:

• VGchartz numbers on the front page tracks Retailers --> Consumer
  • Sony Used to track Sony Factory --> Sony Warehouses
  • Sony now tracks Sony Warehouses --> Retailers
So in effect Sony is correct in saying they have sold those consoles, but at the same time VGchartz is correct in saying that those consoles are not in the hands of consumers. I truly hope that this makes sense for you. And pardon anyone who gets a bit frustrated by your question as this has been asked numerous times.

To Each Man, Responsibility

if you say so

Around the Network
Shinra said:
which threads? can't find them.

There are dozens of posts on this topic. Synopsis:

Sony has sold 4.48 million -- to retailers. The retailers buy the PS3s from Sony, so this is what Sony is talking about.

This site tracks sales to CONSUMERS from those retailers. Therefore, there are about 600-1000k PS3s that have been sold to retailers, but not have not yet been purchased by consumers. This explains the disparity. There are really three possible stats to track:

Systems produced
Systems sold to retailers
Systems sold to consumers

And each one will be different (the first will be bigger than the second will be bigger than third, specifically). Sony is telling us figure 2. VGChartz is reporting figure 3. Make sense? 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Just_Ben said:
Sorry guys, but the "Starter Pack" was not available in all European country's. In Germany today its the first day on amazon. (The price was lowered last week to 574 €, but didn't help in sales much (Rank #144 in games).

Starter Pack seems to help a little (#11 in games on Amazon.de WII is #15). Amazon.de is not the best but a alright indicator in Germany. (The top 100 list is surprisingly near the sell overall sale charts).

Expect to drop back down under #25 by tomorrow.

Eh, I wouldn't trust Amazon rankings as far as how well a system is selling. There are very big differences in the people who shop online and people who don't. Trust me i've helped on a research study on that sort of thing.

I say they make it.

Doubful, Japanese sales won't reach over 30K for this week at best

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I think it will

Shinra said:
Last week Sony stated it has sold 4,48 million worldwide.

Quick answer.  It is 4.48 million sold worldwide to retailers.  Places like best buy.  If you read their finanical report you'll see that to be the case.  VGchartz is tracking consoles sold to consumers like you and me.