By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 1Up State of the NPD: Wii

Part 3 of 1up's analysis of the first half of 2007 in the US. The other two parts are linked for reference.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161611 

State of the NPD: Wii, Can it be Stopped?

Nintendo's console shows no signs of slowing down.
By Patrick Klepek, 07/29/2007

State of the NPD previous discussion on the forums:

• PlayStation 3, Doomed to 3rd Place?
  • Xbox 360, The Easy Win?

Wii, Can it be Stopped?

The answer to our own headline: should it? Since Nintendo unveiled the Wii remote at the Tokyo Game Show in 2005, people haven't been sure what to think of Wii. A remarkably different interface and a focus away from visuals is a methodology completely unlike anything the industry had ever even, well, thought of. Consequently, very few really supported the platform out of the gate, forcing Nintendo to prove almost everything themselves. Then again, that's not much different than usual; Nintendo platforms are typically dominated exclusively by Nintendo games.

Of course, it's all different now. Wii Sports changed everything, and Wii has become the casual-focused machine that Nintendo DS is in handheld. No one anticipated Wii would be a flop, but, like Nintendo's last two consoles, it would reach a ceiling as all the Nintendo fans flocked to the machine -- and no one else. Wii has defied almost every gamer and analyst expectation and continued sell, even without much compelling content.

So far, the Wii has no tail.

Every month, people have expected Wii sales to start flat lining as everyone "realized" how much better games on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 looked. That hasn't happened. Whereas sales on Microsoft and Sony's platforms have struggled to attract more than the standard early adopters thanks to their too-high prices, Wii has the advantage of a mass-market $250 price tag and an interface that doesn't scare your Mom off. Speaking anecdotally, my own mother has not touched a videogame since Super Mario Bros. and two weeks after Wii launched, she asked if she was "allowed" to play Wii Tennis by herself.

Obviously, Wii has been selling better. But, how much better?

Wii Month-to-Month Sales
  • January* -- 436,000, or 87,200 per week
  • February -- 335,000, or 83,750 per week
  • March* -- 259,000, or 51,800 per week
  • April -- 360,000, or 90,000 per week
  • May -- 338,000, or 84,500 per week
  • June* -- 381,800, or 76,360 per week

[Why the *? The January, March and June numbers reflect a five-week total. At the end of each quarter, the numbers reflect a five-week tally (i.e. March 4 through April 7 for the March 2007 totals). Additionally, this January was also five weeks, as a result of the calendar leap year, says the NPD Group.]

• Sure, the Wii has seen months go up and down, but the difference is clear. There are plenty of PS3s and Xbox 360s on shelves -- there are no Wiis. Most at 1UP have not actually seen a Wii in the wild and Nintendo has announced they don't expect that to change -- ever, apparently -- in 2007. A purposeful shortage? Probably. Wii's made of old hardware and they've known how popular the machine is for some time. At this point, there's no excuses; Nintendo is doing this out of own self interest. Can you blame them? Right now, no one can tell them what to do; what they're doing keeps working.

The numbers don't show any reason to expect a change in 2007. In fact, with Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Super Smash Bros. Brawl coming in 2007, Nintendo will start roping in the on-the-fence Nintendo fans who didn't buy into the whole Wii thing at first. Combine that with the release Wii Fit, destined to be the darling of the mainstream media for the next year, and no one else has a chance. Xbox 360 and PS3 have great lineups for holiday 2007, but there's no stopping Wii.

Gamers have complained Nintendo continues to ignore the hardcore. E3 and its Wii Fit focus was a great example of that. The hardcore feel burned and they should. In many ways, Nintendo has left them behind. But, as Jeff Green said on 1UP Yours this week, Wii shouldn't be seen as a threat. Rather, the new gamers who jump onto the Wii bandwagon are the people who could be roped into picking up an Xbox 360 controller or SIXAXIS after Wii tears away the initial shock. Every single Wii gamer should be absolutely embraced for jumping into the medium: the sales of Carnival Games on Wii mean more backing for the next Grand Theft Auto.

The bottom line: Wii is going to keep selling. Get over it.

The biggest part I would disagree with is Nintendo ignoring the hardcore. However, that seems to be the new stigma with Nintendo, and I doubt it will change (Kiddie Image).

P.S. Carnival Games is going to flop saleswise.

•  

Around the Network

I wanna see more hardcore games which I honestly think we will see, I just finished reading this earlier, N4G the best place for news :P

I think that nintendo has enough resorces to work in both the casual and hardcore space. In the two years they spent working on wiifitm nintendo created zelda, mario, metroid, brawl, and mario kart. That's plenty enough to keep me entertained. Next year we will see animal crossing, pikmin 3, and who knows what else. Let us all not forget, too, that the wii will have a bit of a 3rd partt boost.

Apparently 1up is not familiar with the demands of industrial production and how long it takes to step up console production to meet demand. Where they not around when the PS2 launched?

Nice how they also have come to terms with the Wii's success by calling it a gateway drug for people to get into gaming then someday moving on to playing the games they want on the 360 and PS3.

Final 1UP consensus: "Not enough FPSs on the Wii!!!"

I'll gladly take my 360 as a console fav anyday but seriously, if people are so threatened by the Wii or think its dominance is going to kill "hardcore" gaming they're just crazy. Is RE4 Wii not Hardcore? Is Metroid Prime not Hardcore? Is Manhunt 2 not Hardcore? Aren't studios sayin' they were caught flat footed by the Wii and will have Hardcore games for it in the future?

Proud Owner Of: Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360 (Brother owns PS3 & PS2)

Things that have changed since the last Generation of Gaming:

- Nintendo has shown us you can have the best selling console of all time with virtually no games for it.

- Graphics suddenly matter to Sony fans but Reverse Compatibility and Dual shock oddly enough don’t.

- Kiddy Crap is trendy with Hardcore gamers now that it’s no longer Nintendo’s “thing” (Viva Piñata, Little Big Planet, Banjo Kazooie 3, LBP)

- Third Party Developers are now essentially the equivalent of Video Game street pimps.

- Gimmicks are no longer fads (Wii-mote)... Well, not all Gimmicks (PS-Eye)

just what is "hardcore"? perhaps, it's time to label them by gene instead of calling them "hardcore"? I quit fps around the Quake2 era and never took interest in fps again since then, am I any less-core now even I still spend around 10-20 hrs per week gaming?

Gaming simply expand, and the Wii and DS are doing just that. Nintendo expand gaming market. With the gaming market growing fast, more and more gene comes around to cater the expanding audience.

ah... those that understand already understood.

Around the Network

@TalonMan

I would say, as far as resource displacement, it is around 20% casual, 80% core.

Also, for the list:

Released games:

Big Brain Academy - Casual
    Excite Truck - Casual & Core
    Zelda - Core
    Mario Party - Casual
    Mario Strikers- Casual & Core
    Pokemon - Casual & Core
    Paper Mario - Core
    Warioware - Casual & Core
    Wii Play - Casual
    Wii Sports - Casual

4 Casual - 2 Core - 4 on both sides... ...seems like a good mix to me.

Upcoming games:

Wii Music
    Wii Fit - Casual
    Super Smash Bros - Core
    Super Mario - Casual & Core
    Metroid - Core
    Mario Kart - Casual & Core
    Battalion Wars 2- Core
    Endless Ocean- Casual
    Fire Emblem - Core
    DK: Barrel Blast - Casual & core

3 Casual - 4 Core - 3 on both sides

Total - 6 Casual - 6 Core - 7 on both sides

Added: Wii Music, Mario Strikers, Battalion Wars 2, Endless Ocean.

TalonMan said:

DonWii said:

The only part I would argue about is Nintendo ignoring the hardcore. However, that seems to be the new stigma with Nintendo, and I doubt it will change (Kiddie Image). 

P.S. Carnival Games is going to flop saleswise.  

I agree - I don't think Nintendo's "ignoring" the hardcore, in fact, they went out of their way to acknowledge that fact at E3. Yes, I'd say they are probably 60% focused on the casual at the moment, but a 40% effort in the other games, is good enough for me. If they release 10 games a year, 6 casual and 4 core, I'm happy...

Released games:
    Big Brain Academy - Casual
    Excite Truck - Casual & Core
    Zelda - Core
    Mario Party - Casual
    Pokemon - Casual & Core
    Paper Mario - Core
    Warioware - Casual & Core
    Wii Play - Casual
    Wii Sports - Casual

4 Casual - 2 Core - 3 on both sides...     ...seems like a good mix to me.

Upcoming games:
    Wii Fit - Casual
    Super Smash Bros - Core
    Super Mario - Casual & Core
    Metroid - Core
    Mario Kart - Casual & Core
    Fire Emblem - Core
    DK: Barrel Blast - Casual

2 Casual - 3 Core - 2 on both sides...    ...still not seeing the "ignoring' part.

Total - 6 Casual - 5 Core - 5 on both sides...     ...looks good to me.

I think WarioWare is all out casual game. Its a minigame collection.
    And SSBB is a Casual & Core game as well.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
    And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
    Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
    To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

The only time we'll suddenly start seeing lots of Wiis on store shelves is if the 360 and/or PS3 suddenly start taking off and moving millions of units. Then the "shortage" will magically disappear.

How is Smash brothers hardcore? It's very lacking when it comes to gameplay. Great graphics, but the gameplay just doesn't cut it. I always thought it something only the deapest Nintendo fan could enjoy...

Legend11 said:
    The only time we'll suddenly start seeing lots of Wiis on store shelves is if the 360 and/or PS3 suddenly start taking off and moving millions of units. Then the "shortage" will magically disappear.

Nintendo just raised their shipping forcast for fiscal year 2007 with 2.5 millions.

Have anybody of you that complains over the shortage even worked with production? The talk about old tech is easy to produce is pure BS, it might be cheap to produce but it still takes time to increase production. Heck I had 6 months lead time on a tool for producing 50k of ruber sealings every year. Now Nintendo doesn't not just need one sealing, they need more production capacaty in the whole production cycle, more GPU:s, CPU:s, RAM, mother cards and assambly. I am personally shoked if they succed with the increase of 2.5 millions per year. That is an increase of 200k per month and most probarbly more than that because they must be increasing the factory output somewhere around now. Which means that they probarbly is closer to an increase of 250k per month.

1UP should take a lesson about production before they talk.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!