By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 1Up State of the NPD: Wii

I was really interested to see this 1up article because I know they are quite anti-Wii over there and I wanted to see how they would spin it. The last sentence says it all. Instead of saying "way to go Nintendo for selling out and opening up games to all new people!" It's "Nintendo is winning and we don't really like it so we just have to deal with it."

I really dislike how they just make it so obvious. Do they have to bring up all of the arguments people constantly throw out about the Wii into a discussion about NPD sales in the month of June? The casual vs. core gamer argument is preposterous as many have already pointed out. The whole "holding back tons of Wiis on purpose" is so dumb. The only point to hold back stock so that you sell out is to gain a lot of publicity. Nintendo has so much publicity what does it matter if they can say for one more month that they sold out? Nintendo is almost definitely holding back stock for Christmas. But doing it just to say they are still sold out? Stupid. Nintendo has always been HUGE on turning whatever profit they can and many people criticize them for it. You think a penny pinching Nintendo is going to hold back production on purpose for a little more publicity when they could make a lot more money?!

Anyway, 1up is just crazy biased and I'm not a huge fan. Can't they just give credit where credit is due without complaining?

Around the Network

Ah Nintendo conspiracies, they never get old. Nintendo has only been dragging ass the last two generations as an awkward and clumsy underdog, yet now people want us to think there is some sort of devious, clever and masterful conspiracy behind their product shortage. Reminds me of when everyone played market analyst during the end of 06 and beginning of 07 and each person had their own "proof" as to why this or that was going to happen and how each company opperated.

Proud Owner Of: Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360 (Brother owns PS3 & PS2)

Things that have changed since the last Generation of Gaming:

- Nintendo has shown us you can have the best selling console of all time with virtually no games for it.

- Graphics suddenly matter to Sony fans but Reverse Compatibility and Dual shock oddly enough don’t.

- Kiddy Crap is trendy with Hardcore gamers now that it’s no longer Nintendo’s “thing” (Viva Piñata, Little Big Planet, Banjo Kazooie 3, LBP)

- Third Party Developers are now essentially the equivalent of Video Game street pimps.

- Gimmicks are no longer fads (Wii-mote)... Well, not all Gimmicks (PS-Eye)

I'm getting tired of FPS junkies trying to define themselves as "the hardcore gamers" when many of them by 3 games per gen: Halo and 2 GTA's. And then some kid playing thousands of hours of Pokemon is labeled as casual.

But if 1up really does think of themselves as hardcore consider these two definitions from thefreedictionary.com and which one they may be falling under.

I think the real hardcores are the 1st def, and the complainers (like 1up in this case) fall in the second.

1. The most dedicated, unfailingly loyal faction of a group or organization:
2. An intractable core or nucleus of a society, especially one that is stubbornly resistant to improvement or change.

Maverick Hunter Z said:
Ah Nintendo conspiracies, they never get old. Nintendo has only been dragging ass the last two generations as an awkward and clumsy underdog, yet now people want us to think there is some sort of devious, clever and masterful conspiracy behind their product shortage. Reminds me of when everyone played market analyst during the end of 06 and beginning of 07 and each person had their own "proof" as to why this or that was going to happen and how each company opperated.

I think it's possible that Nintendo is restricting supply on purpose, but like Bananaboat says, it wouldn't really make sense to keep doing it all the way through the year...you may lose a few customers that way. You probably wouldn't see too many moms and dads substituting a $500 PS3 for the Wii, but maybe the core 360 or a PS2.

Wii is still has pretty near non-existant library for FPS and weak library for brawlers and RPGs. Hopefully that gets rectified in 2008

Around the Network

Let me add 1up to my "biased sites I should not read" list, just below Gamespot.
Wishful thinking and analysis are not the same. Nintendo creating an artificial demand? Of course, just like Kennedy being murdered by the mafia.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

I don't think it makes sense that people to single out the Wii's post-launch lineup as weak -- I've had minimal interest in games across all three platforms this year. And all of a sudden there are like 15 games coming out (well, for 360 and Wii) that I'd like to get ahold of August-December.

For almost every system ever it takes a year for more than one decent game to come out anyway, and the Wii's had more than enough to pass the time.

Yeah, I think the Wii has a purposeful shortage to keep the hype coming... Whenever you have a conversation with a Wii owner, they say it's selling the best cause it's not on shelves, but Nintendo knows they can keep up with demand... This didn't happen on their less successful consoles (read:gamecube), somehow they kept up with that demand.

this 1up site is dumb.

1. they probably don't know much about the difficulty of production management and of predicting future demands.

2. they are probably fps freaks who are easily threatened by casuals and have to tell themselves repeatedly "wii is not a threat!" to get a grip.

get over yourself really, 1up.

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann

I see now, it's a matter of asking the question of "How else could the Wii still be selling as well as it is?" Clearly must be tricking the market and the consumer by forcing limited product supplies. Am I the only one here starting to feel like they're hearing "The US government did 9-11" conspiracy theory all over again. Did it ever occur to you that maybe you're giving antagonist of the theory just a little too much credit? Just a little. Lawl.

Proud Owner Of: Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360 (Brother owns PS3 & PS2)

Things that have changed since the last Generation of Gaming:

- Nintendo has shown us you can have the best selling console of all time with virtually no games for it.

- Graphics suddenly matter to Sony fans but Reverse Compatibility and Dual shock oddly enough don’t.

- Kiddy Crap is trendy with Hardcore gamers now that it’s no longer Nintendo’s “thing” (Viva Piñata, Little Big Planet, Banjo Kazooie 3, LBP)

- Third Party Developers are now essentially the equivalent of Video Game street pimps.

- Gimmicks are no longer fads (Wii-mote)... Well, not all Gimmicks (PS-Eye)