By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 1Up State of the NPD: Wii

naznatips said:
They never STOPPED supporting hardcore gamers. In 18 months they have announced sequels to 17 out of the top 20 best selling games they made on the Gamecube. The only people who think Nintendo abandoned core gamers are those who feel threatened by the Wii or are simply attacking it because of insecurities with their own choice of systems. You may have a valid claim that Nintendo games don't appeal to YOU, but there is no valid claim that they are not creating core gamer games.

Hardcore will always be, in the eyes of some, whatever Nintendo doesn't have. Nintendo could have every game that's comming out for the PS3 and 360 combined and people would still say they're screwing over the hardcore audience because games like Wii sports and Wii Fit will still be more popular. Its not so much that Hardcore Fanboys want the majority of Wii games to be Hardcore so much as it is they want what hardcore games that are on the Wii to be the most popular games on the console and until that happens they'll continue to cry about Ninty screwing over the Hardcore gamer. Childish logic really.

Last generation when Nintendo had the graphics. People complained about their games being Kiddy Crap. Now that Ninty isn't a threat graphically, they compain about the graphics instead and pretend that Kiddy Crap games were cool all along. Its always a matter of changing the excuse to fit the scenario, not a consistant string of logic. Since Hardcore Games and Graphics are the things the 360 and PS3 are pushing, those are the things people are going to pretend matter now more than anything and try to hold them against Ninty. Whatever Ninty doesn't have that generation, people try to act like is now the most important aspect of gaming. Whatever Ninty does have that generation, they try to belittle and play down (then graphics, now Wii-mote). Best example is last generation when Ninty had better graphics than Sony, Sony fans said it was the games that mattered, not the graphics. Now that Sony has the graphics and Ninty doesn't, the Sony fans say graphics always have mattered.

Proud Owner Of: Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360 (Brother owns PS3 & PS2)

Things that have changed since the last Generation of Gaming:

- Nintendo has shown us you can have the best selling console of all time with virtually no games for it.

- Graphics suddenly matter to Sony fans but Reverse Compatibility and Dual shock oddly enough don’t.

- Kiddy Crap is trendy with Hardcore gamers now that it’s no longer Nintendo’s “thing” (Viva Piñata, Little Big Planet, Banjo Kazooie 3, LBP)

- Third Party Developers are now essentially the equivalent of Video Game street pimps.

- Gimmicks are no longer fads (Wii-mote)... Well, not all Gimmicks (PS-Eye)

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:

BTW, I know the perfect way to get Nintendo to support hardcore gamers again.

Hardcore gamers should BUY MORE HARDCORE GAMES on Nintendo's systems.

I wanna know where all the hardcore gamers were for Eternal Darkness and RE:0 on the 'Cube.

Said it before, will say it again - Nintendo didn't walk away from the hardcore, the hardcore walked away from them because they were afraid of being seen with a plumber in blue coveralls.

misterd said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

BTW, I know the perfect way to get Nintendo to support hardcore gamers again.

Hardcore gamers should BUY MORE HARDCORE GAMES on Nintendo's systems.

I wanna know where all the hardcore gamers were for Eternal Darkness and RE:0 on the 'Cube.

Said it before, will say it again - Nintendo didn't walk away from the hardcore, the hardcore walked away from them because they were afraid of being seen with a plumber in blue coveralls.

As silly as it sounds, for *some* people it's undoubtably true. ~_~

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

I would say the need to worry about Nintendo not continuing to produce "HARDCORE" games will come to light when the sales of Nintendo's biggest "Hardcore" games do not sell well.

If Mario, Metroid, SSBB, and BWii, all tank in sales and Wii Fit and Endless Ocean are blockbuster hits, that is when you see a major shift. Nintendo is a BUSINESS and they will go to where the money is. They will want both kinds of money (casual and core) and I am sure that they realize that core tend to buy more games. Casual is a large market but buy very few games.

So I think the sales of the next six months will really dictate where Nintendo places their resources.

I really hope Fire Emblem does well, I love this series. ;_;

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network
eatrice said:
I would say the need to worry about Nintendo not continuing to produce "HARDCORE" games will come to light when the sales of Nintendo's biggest "Hardcore" games do not sell well.

If Mario, Metroid, SSBB, and BWii, all tank in sales and Wii Fit and Endless Ocean are blockbuster hits, that is when you see a major shift. Nintendo is a BUSINESS and they will go to where the money is. They will want both kinds of money (casual and core) and I am sure that they realize that core tend to buy more games. Casual is a large market but buy very few games.

So I think the sales of the next six months will really dictate where Nintendo places their resources.

Just curious, but you don't actually think it is likely for any of those games to "tank" do you?  Well except Endless Ocean, that one is a wild card in a lot of respects so anything is possible for it....

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:
eatrice said:

Just curious, but you don't actually think it is likely for any of those games to "tank" do you? Well except Endless Ocean, that one is a wild card in a lot of respects so anything is possible for it....

Yeah. I don't really expect them to tank and I think Nintendo is betting on them doing well. However I do expect their sales in comparisons to "casual" games will represent how they split up their resources (50-50, 60-40, 70-30.)

I do wonder how Endless Ocean will do...And I think I'm the only one who is not as optimistic concerning Wii Fit. I hope I'm wrong but you know what they say about peripherals (still waiting on a price for the package).

I don't understand why so many people complain about lack of hardcore games. When half the people I know that own a wii and complain havent even beaten Zelda or RE4 yet and they own both for the wii.

Too much posting/complaining and not enough time actually spent playing the games. 

我是广州人