By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 sales up! Ps3 sales down! (from last year) Worlwide.

Oyvoyvoyv said:

I'm not saying it will kill SCE, but they are still losing lots of money, so saying that Sony is doing great is fooling yourself (with the Ps3, the PsP and Ps2 are doing awesome).

Actually I said that PS3 is doing great not Sony. Sony is fine. People who are excited with current sales of 360 are fooling themselves because we probably witness the greatest days of Box right now. And you know what? It's nothing special. It outsells twice as expensive PS3 by some shabby margin.

Probably people here overdose this statement but... wait for $199 PS3.

Around the Network

There's a simple explenation for the lower PS3 sales, DW 6 launched in Japan that week, giving a huge boost to the PS3 numbers.

dbot said:
goddog said:
well i dont think gears hs anything to do with it, last year sony put on a christmas price cut, for the second one in one year, really helped them own christmas. here ms put on one (in the states) and two in most other regions to spur sales in an older console (benifit of keeping costs down they can do it)

sonys issue is very simple, but very hard to deal with, at this point shareholders might riot, if they cut the price on the ps3 before the gaming arm posts a profit for a quarter which has not happend, though they might through this quarter losses were not so bad last one. but expect a cut as soon as sony can afford it

Sony has had 1 $100 price cut for the PS3 lifetime.  The redesigned 40 Gig PS3 was introduced for $400 replacing the 20 Gig at $500.

Sony is also on pace to meet their shipment target of 10 million for 2008 and they were able to outsell the 360 for most of the year despite the significant price advantage the 360 had.  The fact that Sony is able to meet their sales expectations despite the competition being more than half the price is pretty amazing.

I had thought the ps3 came out with a higher end unit at 600  was i wrong? if you want you can call it one cut of 200. since the 20 gig was hard to come buy always where the 60 gig was plentiful.

but out side of that 10 million in a year was a very conservative call, and the fact that they will only just be able to beat it shows the pain they are in. 

to take this further, they have had to continually strip features out of the console since launch to try and make a profit on it. thats desperate. 

and half the price only acounts for the arcade (see we can both be nit picky) so no. 

you are trying to spin this in a good light for sony, and its just not a good place for them to be at all right now. granted i do feel they can trun it around next year. will not be the power that they have in the past, but they can aim for profitablility and most likely achive it

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Posted in another thread. Repost:

Sony's in a bit of a pickle. No price cut this year, but they may have a problem when it comes to PS3 sales in November and December.

Last year, at the beginning of November, the PS3 had a new 40g SKU, a new low price of $399 AND several big Blu Ray titles to push the format. This gave the system HUGE momentum. This year? None of that will be a factor (face it, Blu Ray isn't as 'hot' as it was last holiday). Add the economic situation to the mix and ... well, I guess I'll just say it:

November and December COULD be the first months of 2008 where the PS3 does not have a YoY increase.

That would be a bad situation for the gaming division financially AND as far as PR. And with retail performance being so low in October, the other divisions of Sony may be in trouble for this final quarter of 2008 (lots of companies will!).

With profitability being such an important thing to them lately, how would all of this bode for a price cut even early next year?

Darth Tigris said:
Posted in another thread. Repost:

Sony's in a bit of a pickle. No price cut this year, but they may have a problem when it comes to PS3 sales in November and December.

Last year, at the beginning of November, the PS3 had a new 40g SKU, a new low price of $399 AND several big Blu Ray titles to push the format. This gave the system HUGE momentum. This year? None of that will be a factor (face it, Blu Ray isn't as 'hot' as it was last holiday). Add the economic situation to the mix and ... well, I guess I'll just say it:

November and December COULD be the first months of 2008 where the PS3 does not have a YoY increase.

That would be a bad situation for the gaming division financially AND as far as PR. And with retail performance being so low in October, the other divisions of Sony may be in trouble for this final quarter of 2008 (lots of companies will!).

With profitability being such an important thing to them lately, how would all of this bode for a price cut even early next year?

Almost a year ago, Sony made the business plan to sell 10 mio PS3 units this fiscal year. I don't know if you understand the implications of a business plan down the whole manufacturing line, but a business plan is a commitment and not a propostition that can be changed as time goes on. Even without knowing the economy problems we are facing now (unless there is a prophet working at Sony), they _already figured out_ they were going to sell less units this Xmas season than last season (for mostly the reasons you mentioned above). Staying with the business plan through the 3rd quarter essentially means no price reduction and no trouble unlike you think (obviously, no business plan incorporates "trouble" as a variable at the decision stage). It also means that more Xboxes will be sold this Xmas season than PS3s but this does not bother Sony at all as this was a possible consequence of the business plan laid out early 2008.

However, problems may emerge if you botch up your software releases (LBP) and sell less software in general than could be expected. Unlike MS who can easily subsidize their heavy losses in hardware manfacturing with their money-printing departments, Sony will no doubt be in trouble (financials, cell phone, music division...)

Around the Network
goddog said:
dbot said:
goddog said:
well i dont think gears hs anything to do with it, last year sony put on a christmas price cut, for the second one in one year, really helped them own christmas. here ms put on one (in the states) and two in most other regions to spur sales in an older console (benifit of keeping costs down they can do it)

sonys issue is very simple, but very hard to deal with, at this point shareholders might riot, if they cut the price on the ps3 before the gaming arm posts a profit for a quarter which has not happend, though they might through this quarter losses were not so bad last one. but expect a cut as soon as sony can afford it

Sony has had 1 $100 price cut for the PS3 lifetime.  The redesigned 40 Gig PS3 was introduced for $400 replacing the 20 Gig at $500.

Sony is also on pace to meet their shipment target of 10 million for 2008 and they were able to outsell the 360 for most of the year despite the significant price advantage the 360 had.  The fact that Sony is able to meet their sales expectations despite the competition being more than half the price is pretty amazing.

I had thought the ps3 came out with a higher end unit at 600  was i wrong? if you want you can call it one cut of 200. since the 20 gig was hard to come buy always where the 60 gig was plentiful.

but out side of that 10 million in a year was a very conservative call, and the fact that they will only just be able to beat it shows the pain they are in. 

to take this further, they have had to continually strip features out of the console since launch to try and make a profit on it. thats desperate. 

and half the price only acounts for the arcade (see we can both be nit picky) so no. 

you are trying to spin this in a good light for sony, and its just not a good place for them to be at all right now. granted i do feel they can trun it around next year. will not be the power that they have in the past, but they can aim for profitablility and most likely achive it

The 20 gig wasnt' that hard to come by and the 40 gig isn't the same sku as the 20 gig or the 80 gig.  So you can either view it as a launch of a new product for $400 or a price cut of $100.  Either way, there was only one repricing event for the PS3.

People on this site think 10 million was a conservative number, but considering the 360 and the PS3 only sold 8 million units a piece in 2007, I would say a 2 million dollar increase is relatively aggressive.  Especially, when you take into account that they will not be adjusting their price this year.

I wish we had sku breakdowns for sales.  In my opinion, the arcade is the fastest selling xbox sku.  Unfortunately, that will remain my opinion until MS publishes some data.

I am not trying to spin anything.  I am just correcting 2 pieces of information from your post. 

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Ries-art said:
Sony in big trouble? hahaha
Sony is working very hard to get the best exclusive software. With games like Killzone 2, Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, Infamous etc.. they have a great line-up, which will use the PS3's power. Then people will see why it's so much better than 360.
At the end of next year 360 will be in big trouble!

2007 2008 2009 Year of the PS3 confirmed

dbot said:
goddog said:
dbot said:
goddog said:

The 20 gig wasnt' that hard to come by and the 40 gig isn't the same sku as the 20 gig or the 80 gig.  So you can either view it as a launch of a new product for $400 or a price cut of $100.  Either way, there was only one repricing event for the PS3.

People on this site think 10 million was a conservative number, but considering the 360 and the PS3 only sold 8 million units a piece in 2007, I would say a 2 million dollar increase is relatively aggressive.  Especially, when you take into account that they will not be adjusting their price this year.

I wish we had sku breakdowns for sales.  In my opinion, the arcade is the fastest selling xbox sku.  Unfortunately, that will remain my opinion until MS publishes some data.

I am not trying to spin anything.  I am just correcting 2 pieces of information from your post. 

the faster selling of the arcade can remain your opinion. the 20 gig was hard to come by, very hard to come by in the states. it was easier to find a wii, to put that into perspective, though much like your theory on the arcade we will never know the split of 20/60 being offered. but i will put this out there, i only ever saw one 20 gig in the wild 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

kber81 said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

I'm not saying it will kill SCE, but they are still losing lots of money, so saying that Sony is doing great is fooling yourself (with the Ps3, the PsP and Ps2 are doing awesome).

Actually I said that PS3 is doing great not Sony. Sony is fine. People who are excited with current sales of 360 are fooling themselves because we probably witness the greatest days of Box right now. And you know what? It's nothing special. It outsells twice as expensive PS3 by some shabby margin.

Probably people here overdose this statement but... wait for $199 PS3.

You can turn it howyou want, the games sales figures for the PS3 are low compared to the other plateforms.

At the end, it is what matters no ? Good for Sony if the PS3 made a good job at pushing the BR format... but here this is gaming business we are talking about ... not movies...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

scottie said:
toastboy44562 said:

it's only one week and gears just came out

Do you agree?

I agree, it is only 1 week, Gears did just come out

What was your point again sorry?

Quoted for truth.

This is invisible text!