By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does anyone see any way the Wii will NOT win this gen?

WII being beaten think is a 60%/40% chance

40% of it being beaten as the SONY fanbase has never been tested in a bad situation, will the 120 million PS2 owners IGNORE the Ps3 completely, we just don't know until the price is in the $300 range.

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Around the Network

The only way is if the PS3 drops to 299$ in early 08. I have a feeling that the people in EU are waiting for price drops, and in the long run it might be able to stay with Wii for a bit.

diamuerto said:
If the earth ends in 2012 as pre-dated.

lol, you don't actually believe that comet on Friday, December 21st, 2012 crap do you?

XD

I think the only way for any other console to even compete at this stage is to drop prices to Wii levels. If people had a choice between the consoles, price wise, then they may pick up the other consoles instead. Of course the drawback here is that the company losses would be incredible. Sure they may finally compete in terms of units sold and possibly break even in the future if they sold enough software but by when everything is said and done they may not see a single $1 in profit this generation if they dropped their prices to the $300 level. Furthermore, Nintendo is the only company that can actually drop their price and still make a profit on each system so if the others did drop to $300, the Wii could just as easily drop to $200 and still be breaking even.

To sum it up, nope its hopeless. The price differential made sure of that from the moment all consoles were released and many people knew it back when the 360 announced their price initially.

marc said:
I think the only way for any other console to even compete at this stage is to drop prices to Wii levels. If people had a choice between the consoles, price wise, then they may pick up the other consoles instead. Of course the drawback here is that the company losses would be incredible. Sure they may finally compete in terms of units sold and possibly break even in the future if they sold enough software but by when everything is said and done they may not see a single $1 in profit this generation if they dropped their prices to the $300 level. Furthermore, Nintendo is the only company that can actually drop their price and still make a profit on each system so if the others did drop to $300, the Wii could just as easily drop to $200 and still be breaking even.

To sum it up, nope its hopeless. The price differential made sure of that from the moment all consoles were released and many people knew it back when the 360 announced their price initially.

That doesn't matters in Japan, the DS and the PSP is around the same price in Japan, I think we will see the same thing with PS3 vs Wii. Simply because it is Wii that has Wii Sport.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Around the Network

I tell ya, if Wii Sports wasn't created and packed in with the Wii, I would have gotten bored of my friend's Wii in like a day or two as opposed to two weeks because of Wii Sports.

Now all he has to do is get some more games. . .

Thanks to WiiFit, by FY08 (ending March 2009) the Wii is pretty much guaranteed to have a 40 million units userbase, and a 50% market share. Then, all of the sudden, it'll simply die of old age. You guess where I'm being sarcastic.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
KruzeS said:
Thanks to WiiFit, by FY08 (ending March 2009) the Wii is pretty much guaranteed to have a 40 million units userbase, and a 50% market share. Then, all of the sudden, it'll simply die of old age. You guess where I'm being sarcastic.

Yes, the same happens to all the successfull consoles. For example, look at the PS2, it clearly can't compete with the newest consoles. Same final remark applies.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The PS3 is probably the only system with a shot. It still has the brand name in Japan and Europe that Microsoft will never come close to in Video Games. It would need a long lispan (though a 10 year lifecycle like some have been saying is a little rediculous). If it has a 1 or 2 year longer lifespan than the Wii (which is reasonable) than possibly it could come close to, or even surprass, Wii numbers eventually. Once the Wii 2 and Next X-Box come out the PS3 could be $200, or even less, and dominating game sales in all markets.

Now do I believe this will happen. Probably not. I do think at some point towards the latter part of this gen and into the next the PS3 will be the top selling weekly/monthly system worldwide (expecially if Blue Ray wins which is looking more and more likely), but I don't it'll make up that gap with the Wii.

robjoh said:
marc said:

That doesn't matters in Japan, the DS and the PSP is around the same price in Japan, I think we will see the same thing with PS3 vs Wii. Simply because it is Wii that has Wii Sport.

I memory serves me, the PSP was around $250 at release vs DS at $150. Thats a very big difference especially when you consider that its a handheld but at least that sold and is selling decently well. The irony is that Sony didnt learn from that lesson and make the same mistake with the PS3.

The Wii simply appeals to a wider market including (oh the irony again) the most hardcore gamer who already has a high performance machine and wants a nice get-away from the norm.