By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does anyone see any way the Wii will NOT win this gen?

I think the question needs to be asked...

I'm a Nintendo fan, and I'm used to being near the bottom of the pile as far as console sales are concerned. In the last several months, It's begun to set in that the big N may actually win this time, and I've been wondering if there's any way they won't.

With the incredible demand for Nintendo's Wii console, it seems almost certain to me that Nintendo will return to the throne of console domination that they have not held for many years. The type of demand that is currently seen is totally unprecedented for any gaming system in history. Never has a system still been hard to find nearly a year after it's initial launch. I find it unbelievable that 'hype' or 'fad' could carry the Wii for this long. I am a Nintendo fan, but I really thought things would have slowed alot by now. 

One thing that has slowly convinced me more and more of this is how many of the people I know have expressed interest in buying a Wii after playing it. One friend of mine is an absolute graphics whore. He plays a overclocked PC with 4GB of RAM, water cooling, 2 768MB Geforce 8800s in an SLI on a 120 inch projector and won't buy a PS3 because he is unimpressed with the graphics. After playing the Wii, he said he would probably get one when he could because the system was 'just so much fun'. Many of my friends, from non-gamers to hardcore gamers have said they are interested in purchasing a Wii. My wife's 60 (ish) year old parents liked the system and talked about getting one. I'm hearing of the same level of interest through employees at EBGames, BestBuy, etc.

With this kind of momentum, mass appeal, and growing 3rd party support (along with great 1st party games), does anyone see any way that one of the other systems could possibly win at this point?

What do Sony and MS need to do to have a chance, or is it pretty much over?

*This is not meant to be a fanboy post at all, and I'm not that concerned one way or the other, I've just been thinking about this and wanted some other people's opinions.

Around the Network

this is so going to burn

I think the Wii may not win if they don't focus on the hardcore after the release of Smash, Galaxy, Kart, and Metroid. If all hardcore gamers have to look forward to next year is Wii fit, then they may lose...

The way it looks now there would have to be something very bad happen for that to occur. There is very very little hope for PS3 and no hope for 360, and one of the reasons this is already over is because the Wii is already a lock to dominate Japan, not just win but dominate.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

DMeisterJ said:
I think the Wii may not win if they don't focus on the hardcore after the release of Smash, Galaxy, Kart, and Metroid. If all hardcore gamers have to look forward to next year is Wii fit, then they may lose...

Possible, but would they really be stupid enough to do that? I hope not.

On the other hand, if all they ever release is Wii fit and they start selling it on QVC, they could get like 80 million sales from bored housewives alone!

I personally think that if the Wii continues to sell like it is now, it will get a very wide variety of both casual and hardcore games like PS2 did because everybody will develop for it.

Around the Network

There is already a thread about this, but I believe both should be locked, considering that they are nesting grounds for flame wars.

El Duderino said:
this is so going to burn

Only if somone spills gasoline and someone else lights a match!

I think we can have a civil exchange of ideas on this site- I am optomistic that this thread won't crash and burn.

I just want some other opinions, I'm not looking for a flame fest or anything.

DonWii said:
There is already a thread about this, but I believe both should be locked, considering that they are nesting grounds for flame wars.

Really? I don't think I saw that one. If any flaming starts, I'll ax a mod for a lock.

As I said on a very similar thread, the only way the Wii can lose this generation is if Nintendo decides to release a Wii HD (a system with the 'power of the PS3' that uses Wiimote controlls) in 2009. At the current rate of sales there will be no third party in the world who is not focusing their efforts on the Wii by the end of 2008; the combination of their exclusive games and Nintendo's library will keep the Wii selling well even without the HD-Graphics.

DMeisterJ said:

WOW its good to see family on this site...whats up cuz!!! I totally agree if and only the Wii focus on those causal games, then it will become slow in sales...but also considering like I said in the car...Nintendo makes profit off every system...so their never ever going any where!!