By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does anyone see any way the Wii will NOT win this gen?

The only way I can see Wii not winning is, as Quickdraw McGraw said, if it has longevity problems. When wiis are finally sitting on shelves and you can buy either a Wii, a PS3, or an Xbox 360, will the Wii maintain that momentum? That's the magic question!

Around the Network
steven787 said:
Just when we thought that Nintendo was only going casual on DS they gave us NSMB. See Nintendo loves us. Many of us have memories that are far to short. Nintendo always has another carrot to put on the end of that string.

Sony and MS need to hold back, if the Wii succeeds they can extend the life of their consoles and recoup some of the losses. Wii opened them up to allow a life cycle that doesn't have to end as soon as they can start selling the next big graphical leap for under $600(used to be $300).

Longer life cycles would be good for gamers too.

OK man since win is nintendo the god of consoles? I love nintendo and all but if they did care so much about the consumer why are we seeing shortages in wii's? Why are we seeing games that are finished being released 5 months later. Sony doesnt need to hold back in any way, they won 2 console wars. The last time nintendo won anything was with the SNES bringing gaming to life. Sony has the most consoles out right now that are selling well. Combine psp ps2 and ps3 sales WW with wii and ds sales WW, you will see they are basicly the same. Sony doesnt need to hold back in anything, unlike nintendo and microsoft they dont kill there consoles and bring in a new one.

The company out of all three that seems to have more love to the consumer is sony. They are basicly killing themselves since they trust that we will buy and enjoy there console. They are the only first party company that are working hard in bringin in a total of 15 exclusive games. I have nothing against nintendo at all, as for microsoft I can see them ending there race with the xbox 360. Though at one point sony and nintendo will join, if not this will continue and we might even be seeing ubisoft bring in a new console, or even square. Sony and nintendo are the biggest giants in the video game market.

mM

I still don't get the Wii abandoning the hardcore argument. If you look at the Camecubes top Nintendo games, you'll see that most of them are already represented by the Wii in it's first year.

Mario Kart: Double Dash - New Kart on the way 0.893.851.866.60
Super Smash Bros Melee - New SSBB on the way 1.444.061.086.58
Super Mario Sunshine - New Mario looks SOOOO much better than Sunshine 0.873.731.315.91
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - Launch Zelda decidedly more "Hardcore" than windwaker 0.892.441.054.38
Luigi Mansion - I don't think too many people will cry foul if they lose this one. 0.462.210.723.39
Metroid Prime - New Prime might just reinvent the console shooter 0.121.920.732.77
Pokemon Collosseum - Pokemon Battle Revolution... yay? 0.711.170.622.50
Animal Crossing - New Animal Crossing on the way 0.661.680.152.49
Mario Party 4 - one of four Mario party games... So Nintendo always did like the casual 0.921.130.392.44
Mario Party 5 - look above. If anything, we may actually get fewer MP's this time around 0.730.960.362.05
Paper Mario 2 - Super Paper Mario is already out. 0.461.230.261.95
Starfox Adventures - We don't know yet, but expect something. 0.320.950.581.85
Pikmin - nothing announced, but it's a possibility 0.560.780.271.61
Mario Party 6 - So much Mario Party! damn cube abandoned the hardcore gamer! 0.600.850.111.56
Super Mario Strikers - Charged jsut came out with ONLINE! 0.210.910.421.54
Kirbys Air Ride - Kirby is definately coming at some point. 0.450.960.121.53
Mario Party 7 - Probably the last one right, who'd want to buy another one? 0.470.900.111.48
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour - Nothing yet, but not the most hardcore franchise either 0.251.030.151.43
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Wii already has it! with motion controls! 0.040.920.341.30
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Already covered this one 0.070.820.371.26
Pokemon XD - What is it? 0.350.580.211.14
Mario Power Tennis - The success of Wii sports assures this one 0.460.530.151.14
Pokemon XD: Gale Of Darkness - What is this sequel? 0.520.590.001.11
Donkey Konga - DK jet race on the way 0.460.430.171.06
Pikmin 2 - See Pikmin 0.560.350.141.05

So less than one year into the race and the Wii is already catching up to the Cube. And with increased revenue to put into game development (and Monolith on board), I'm sure we'll end up seeing more "Hardcore" games than the cube. Not to mention the extra third party support

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

DMeisterJ said:
I think the Wii may not win if they don't focus on the hardcore after the release of Smash, Galaxy, Kart, and Metroid. If all hardcore gamers have to look forward to next year is Wii fit, then they may lose...

Nintendo hasn't really announced any big games for 2008. I think they will announce them if their Wii sales ever slow down. Why do they need to make huge announcements when they already can't make enough consoles to meet demand? During E3, they only focused on 2007.

leo-j said:
Its wayyyy to early to tell if the wii will win, the 360 can just rocket up in sales, or even the ps3 at anytime during the holiday season, basicly it can, and it cant we will see wat happens this holiday season.

Yep... aaaany day now. I'm sure one of them will... rocket up!

Kwaad said:
Timmah! said:

It's early, yes, but Wii has something the others don't right now, and that's momentum. It should be easier for them to maintain momentum than for their competitors to build momentum that overtakes the Wii's. The thing I see that's so huge for the Wii is the fact that it's maintained launch level momentum for this long.

I agree that we'll be have a much clearer picture after the holidays, I personally think the Wii will way outsell it's competition over the holiday because of the buzz that surrounds it, mass appeal, games, and price.

That is exactly my point. What happens if it looses that though? It dont have the power, or really anything else to throw out to get that back. Same thing happend to the N64, and GameCube.

WRONG! N64 and GAMECUBE did not have momentum anywhere NEAR this. The GC launched @ $249, and $50 got taken off the price, only 6 months later. This is because it did not have momentum. It had better graphics than the PS2, but that didn't really matter did it?

Dudes, seriously though about WiiFit, have any of you tried an extensive yoga workout?

I exercise regularly, and I must admit, workout routines are much more "hardcore" than any game I've ever played. :P

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

Around the Network
leo-j said:
steven787 said:
Just when we thought that Nintendo was only going casual on DS they gave us NSMB. See Nintendo loves us. Many of us have memories that are far to short. Nintendo always has another carrot to put on the end of that string.

Sony and MS need to hold back, if the Wii succeeds they can extend the life of their consoles and recoup some of the losses. Wii opened them up to allow a life cycle that doesn't have to end as soon as they can start selling the next big graphical leap for under $600(used to be $300).

OK man since win is nintendo the god of consoles? I love nintendo and all but if they did care so much about the consumer why are we seeing shortages in wii's? Why are we seeing games that are finished being released 5 months later. Sony doesnt need to hold back in any way, they won 2 console wars. The last time nintendo won anything was with the SNES bringing gaming to life. Sony has the most consoles out right now that are selling well. Combine psp ps2 and ps3 sales WW with wii and ds sales WW, you will see they are basicly the same. Sony doesnt need to hold back in anything, unlike nintendo and microsoft they dont kill there consoles and bring in a new one.

The company out of all three that seems to have more love to the consumer is sony. They are basicly killing themselves since they trust that we will buy and enjoy there console. They are the only first party company that are working hard in bringin in a total of 15 exclusive games. I have nothing against nintendo at all, as for microsoft I can see them ending there race with the xbox 360. Though at one point sony and nintendo will join, if not this will continue and we might even be seeing ubisoft bring in a new console, or even square. Sony and nintendo are the biggest giants in the video game market.

1. Takes a long time(about a year, i've read) to build new factories. Reason why they just raised their forecast ( more being produced now).

2. Nintendo level of polish. Reason why their games are always great.

3. Don't forget the GBA(beat PS3 a few times this year in NA).

4. NES, SNES were not killed off, because Nintendo was the market leader. Because Sony was market leader the last two times, it didn't need to kill them off. If it wasn't selling for 5 years, why keep it in for more?

5. The RICH consumer. Sony loves money, afterall.

6. Well, Nintendo is working on 40 exclusive Wii games and 120+ exclusive DS games. I am not sure 15 is that impressive (especially for 3 consoles). [You should re-word that. I know you didn't mean that, but this IS a debate.]

@DoesWhatNintenDont: There is nothing more hardcore than a tough asana.

"No more heroes" or "Virasan" there is no question in my mind which is more hardcore.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

leo-j said:
steven787 said:

OK man since win is nintendo the god of consoles? I love nintendo and all but if they did care so much about the consumer why are we seeing shortages in wii's? Why are we seeing games that are finished being released 5 months later. Sony doesnt need to hold back in any way, they won 2 console wars. The last time nintendo won anything was with the SNES bringing gaming to life. Sony has the most consoles out right now that are selling well. Combine psp ps2 and ps3 sales WW with wii and ds sales WW, you will see they are basicly the same. Sony doesnt need to hold back in anything, unlike nintendo and microsoft they dont kill there consoles and bring in a new one.

By releasing a console that isn't next gen, and diverts attention away from the next gen consoles, the Market might allow for the other manufactures to extend the life of their consoles, because they are technologically superior to Wii.  I don't see how my post implied that Nintendo is god, or that MS or Sony are no good.
They all do their thing, and right now (notice the right now) the Nintendo consoles (Wii and DS) are selling better. 
Sony and MS might be better off waiting for the hype to die down.  That way they aren't in a $500v$250 battle.  They can "re-launch" at a lower price with a bunch of shiny new games.
(some humor) Mainstream consumer knowledge is low, they probably still think the PS3 is $600.  So the consumer doesn't know anything, that is not the consumer's problem, it is the manufacturer.  They didn't get the memo that says $600 is worth it or that it is only $500. So they keep making the "mistake" of buying of buying the Wii, poor consumers getting ripped off.
Why would Nintendo and Sony combine?  Sony might do what Nintendon't, but they also aren't doing what Nintendoes... make more. And boy oh boy does Nintendo make money.
None of those companies are going to make a console, they are profitable because they are flexible.  They can make games for what ever console sells well.
Companies sell consoles to make money, Nintendo makes money off it directly and their software, Sony does it because it is a platform for other media to enter the household, MS does it to get there OS in to your living room.  In the end they all CAN make money, however, Sony and MS (game divisions) are not.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=4741

no sense locking it...it's been dead for weeks....lol

^I got tired of looking for it.