By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the wii eventally slow down?

if MadWorld sells as much or more than GoW i can tell you for sure, the wii has hard-core gamers, maybe not as many as the HD consoles but it still does. Plus the casual gamers that nobody really likes, and viola all of a sudden Nintendo beats them. casual gamers are gonna keep buying the hard-cores gamers have already bought it, same for HD consoles except there aren't casual gamers. And so the wii will outsell PS3 and the 360, not the other way around.

Around the Network
vess13 said:
if MadWorld sells as much or more than GoW i can tell you for sure, the wii has hard-core gamers, maybe not as many as the HD consoles but it still does. Plus the casual gamers that nobody really likes, and viola all of a sudden Nintendo beats them. casual gamers are gonna keep buying the hard-cores gamers have already bought it, same for HD consoles except there aren't casual gamers. And so the wii will outsell PS3 and the 360, not the other way around.

it could outsell anything but still it's getting good games.

name a 90 average title releasing in 3 months? 6 months ? a year?

nothing.

Paul_Warren said:

Yes, the Wii will begin to slow down in 2009 (well actually it has already started to slow down -- see its recent sub 30,000 weeks sales in Japan). It will have a couple of pops during 2010 when the next Zelda and Mario are released, but it will never be as successful as it once was due to the immense quality of the games coming to the PS3 over the next few years. The PS3 will actually pass the Wii by January 31, 2011.

What has caused this slowdown of the Wii. They seemingly had everything going their way heading into this year's E3. Then they totally failed to unveil any new high quality games other than their nebulously setting future release dates for the next Maro and Zelda.

The Wii has already seen one of its its two biggest games from E3 2008 turn into a worldwide flop and there's a good chance that other big Wii announcement from E3 2008 will also fail to become the same type of huge game that a few earlier Wii titles did.

The downfall of the Wii has resulted from Nintendo's cockiness (stating that they were going to unveil several "Core" games at E3 2008, then utterly failing to do so), their own inability to deliver great games (only four of their games this gen have managed to receive 9 or better review scores from the leading publications and three of the four are based on franchises that are over twenty years old and the last incorporates twenty year old characters into a fighting game.

Nintendo failed to make Wii versions of some of their popular titles as good as recent versions on the Gamecube and DS. Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime 3, and I predict that Animal Crossing will be one of these as well.

Nintendo also utterly failed to attract third party support to the Wii as most third parties wanted to make their best games on the super consoles of this gen instead of on a console that in many ways is still a last gen system.

Lastly Nintendo's downfall had to do with their trying to combat much more powerful consoles with an arguably last gen console and a gimmicky controller.

Of course during the early days of the Wii it was able to generate quite a bit of heat for itself as developers struggled to find out how to properly program a much more complex piece of technology like the PS3, but now as key developers have learned how to make great games much faster and easier on the PS3 than in its early days, the Wii is finding itself to be much like the wrestler Christian Cage in that it will begin to burn out quickly whereas the PS3 is much more as Ric Flair always described himself, "A 60 minute man," and the PS3 will bring the PS family's title of leading console of the last two genereations back home.

This post is just epic, i am almost at a loss for words. Having spent about 6 months working in pyschiatry i often thought it would be kinda cool to lose touch with reality for a little while, just to see what it was like. I am genuinely jealous.

Jo how are we supposed to know what reviews games are going to get before they come out, exactly? Riddle me that.

Also: why are you treating reviews as the ultimate metric of quality?

@Paul warren: seriously, you're the one that needs to wake up to the reality.

Your post is pathetic. For our own sake STHU.

Around the Network
Paul_Warren said:

The downfall of the Wii has resulted from Nintendo's cockiness (stating that they were going to unveil several "Core" games at E3 2008, then utterly failing to do so), their own inability to deliver great games (only four of their games this gen have managed to receive 9 or better review scores from the leading publications and three of the four are based on franchises that are over twenty years old and the last incorporates twenty year old characters into a fighting game.

I wonder what percentage of wii owners have never heard of E3 nor have they ever visited a review site.

Yea, about the same time as people gets tired of the other consoles as well.

Oh. my. god. paul_warren is actually serious. Thought he was trying real hard to play a complete moron. Turns out he wasn't playing ...

Kenny said:
Paul_Warren said:

*Comedy Gold*

Not bad.  As far as satirizations of delusional PS3 fanboys go, this one is actually pretty subtle (or that might have something to do with the fact that it's past midnight, and I need to sleep).  If it weren't for the fact that the post speaks as though Nintendo has already failed, one could mistake it as actually being serious.  That perspective does a good job of helping the reader understand that the post is meant to be divorced from reality, though.

Kenny Paul_Warren

VS.

taomaster06 said:
that depends. nintendo is loosing more hardcore players to the other consoles. but the casual market is very huge. if they can keep thm satsfied then the HD consoles wont have a chance. If not then there's a huge possibility that they could catch up.

sure it is, sure it is.......

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints