By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the wii eventally slow down?

denial can last forever if you want it too

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
FPSrules said:
considering the fact that the ps2 last gen sold over 140 million consoles, and all 3 systems this gen combine match half that total. that means there is still plenty of people that haven't either decided to buy a system, or can't afford one.

MS i don't see them going over the wii cause the 360 acrade is cheaper than the wii, but 360 is still barely outselling sony which obivilously isn't a good thing. as for sony, they need to dig in the war chest of theirs cause 2009 is probability the last chance they get a chance to dominate once again this gen

Wii is actually selling at a faster rate than PS2 did

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Tales scored a 6.7 at IGN? THAT must be the reason the wii only sold 527k this week. Explains the weak numbers.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Paul_Warren said:

Yes, the Wii will begin to slow down in 2009 (well actually it has already started to slow down -- see its recent sub 30,000 weeks sales in Japan). It will have a couple of pops during 2010 when the next Zelda and Mario are released, but it will never be as successful as it once was due to the immense quality of the games coming to the PS3 over the next few years. The PS3 will actually pass the Wii by January 31, 2011.

What has caused this slowdown of the Wii. They seemingly had everything going their way heading into this year's E3. Then they totally failed to unveil any new high quality games other than their nebulously setting future release dates for the next Maro and Zelda.

The Wii has already seen one of its its two biggest games from E3 2008 turn into a worldwide flop and there's a good chance that other big Wii announcement from E3 2008 will also fail to become the same type of huge game that a few earlier Wii titles did.

The downfall of the Wii has resulted from Nintendo's cockiness (stating that they were going to unveil several "Core" games at E3 2008, then utterly failing to do so), their own inability to deliver great games (only four of their games this gen have managed to receive 9 or better review scores from the leading publications and three of the four are based on franchises that are over twenty years old and the last incorporates twenty year old characters into a fighting game.

Nintendo failed to make Wii versions of some of their popular titles as good as recent versions on the Gamecube and DS. Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime 3, and I predict that Animal Crossing will be one of these as well.

Nintendo also utterly failed to attract third party support to the Wii as most third parties wanted to make their best games on the super consoles of this gen instead of on a console that in many ways is still a last gen system.

Lastly Nintendo's downfall had to do with their trying to combat much more powerful consoles with an arguably last gen console and a gimmicky controller.

Of course during the early days of the Wii it was able to generate quite a bit of heat for itself as developers struggled to find out how to properly program a much more complex piece of technology like the PS3, but now as key developers have learned how to make great games much faster and easier on the PS3 than in its early days, the Wii is finding itself to be much like the wrestler Christian Cage in that it will begin to burn out quickly whereas the PS3 is much more as Ric Flair always described himself, "A 60 minute man," and the PS3 will bring the PS family's title of leading console of the last two genereations back home.

Oh bless you, sir. When do you think the PS3 will start selling the Wii worldwide on a monthly basis, to start making up the enormous gap?

coolestguyever said:
Yes, this year even won't be as good as 2008.

There is going to be a drought for good games for the wii in 2009 (at least compared to PS3's GoW3, GT5, KZ2, etc)

I think the Wii did a great job getting its good games out early, but now they don't have much else left.

weren't those games announced around the same time as when all of these games were announced?

Around the Network

" And the score for tales matters because....?"

It is just another example of the fact that games on the Wii tend to be rather poor and as more people wake up to this realization, sales for The Golden Cow will begin to slow down.

Also, all those people that wanted to point to the Wii getting some kind of core gam this year to justify their support of the console were pointing to this game, and it completely tanks.

But in the bigger picture when Japanese studios see that their games in this genre on the Wii are going to get panned by critics in the West, then they will be less inclined to bring this type of game to the Wii in the west. Also, it will build up a reputation for Wii rpgs that they aren't any good. Whereas FFXIII on the PS3 will probably get a 10 like MGS 4 and GTA IV and sell like gangbusters prompting more games in this genre, one of the most popular in this genre to come to the PS3. So, the Wii will lose many potential customers do to this trend.

No one cares, Wii fit, Wii sports and the like are going to keep the system selling like gangbusters, who cares if Tales is a flop?"

Those games aren't going to keep selling forever. And, they are only two games that Nintendo got lucky with. But as Wii Music a game in the same series shows, not everything that Nintendo slaps the name "Wii" on is going to be a title that receives astronomical sales.

The Wii is doomed to fail in the long run. When there are much better and more popular games on the PS3, then why would people buy the Wii? Most likely it will soon run its course on these incredible sales and begin to sell only in Gamecube amounts before 2009 is over.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

One thing that seems to be missed is how on a weekly basis the Wii sells better than the PS2 did, the Wii sells over 300K a week on average, the PS2 sold well below 300K on a weekly average

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Paul_Warren said:

" And the score for tales matters because....?"

It is just another example of the fact that games on the Wii tend to be rather poor and as more people wake up to this realization, sales for The Golden Cow will begin to slow down.

Also, all those people that wanted to point to the Wii getting some kind of core gam this year to justify their support of the console were pointing to this game, and it completely tanks.

But in the bigger picture when Japanese studios see that their games in this genre on the Wii are going to get panned by critics in the West, then they will be less inclined to bring this type of game to the Wii in the west. Also, it will build up a reputation for Wii rpgs that they aren't any good. Whereas FFXIII on the PS3 will probably get a 10 like MGS 4 and GTA IV and sell like gangbusters prompting more games in this genre, one of the most popular in this genre to come to the PS3. So, the Wii will lose many potential customers do to this trend.

No one cares, Wii fit, Wii sports and the like are going to keep the system selling like gangbusters, who cares if Tales is a flop?"

Those games aren't going to keep selling forever. And, they are only two games that Nintendo got lucky with. But as Wii Music a game in the same series shows, not everything that Nintendo slaps the name "Wii" on is going to be a title that receives astronomical sales.

The Wii is doomed to fail in the long run. When there are much better and more popular games on the PS3, then why would people buy the Wii? Most likely it will soon run its course on these incredible sales and begin to sell only in Gamecube amounts before 2009 is over.

ROFL, again you make the fatal flaw of thinking that the world thinks like you, most people wouldn't play a game like Tales, or gears or anything similar, they aren't the traditional gamers who those games appeal to, they like short fun games like Wii fit, Wii sports etc.

Wii music may have failed, but look at Wii fit, still in the top five WW months after release, just shows that Wii Music was a wrong choice, because games like Guitar hero already cover that market, but games like Wii fit and Wii sports are unlikely to die off any time soon.  You say that these games will stop selling, but facts say otherwise, and more of them, like Wii sports 2 are on the horizon, and will likely continue to sell.

Until PS3 can do away with the button filled controllers and create easy to pick up and play games like Wii they won't be abl;e to overtake the Wii

So now that it's in it's 3rd christmas and is kicking everyone's ass....how much longer does it have to fail exactly? PS3 fanboys are like religious fanatics. They keep claiming that they're prophecies of the demise of their enemies is just around the corner, almost here, any day now the rapture will happen, and for hundreds of years (or in this case 3) it just doesn't happen. Keep waiting Rick Warren...er Paul Warren. Jesus will save you soon, and the PS3 will ascend to his right hand.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Paul_Warren said:

Yes, the Wii will begin to slow down in 2009 (well actually it has already started to slow down -- see its recent sub 30,000 weeks sales in Japan). It will have a couple of pops during 2010 when the next Zelda and Mario are released, but it will never be as successful as it once was due to the immense quality of the games coming to the PS3 over the next few years. The PS3 will actually pass the Wii by January 31, 2011.

What has caused this slowdown of the Wii. They seemingly had everything going their way heading into this year's E3. Then they totally failed to unveil any new high quality games other than their nebulously setting future release dates for the next Maro and Zelda.

The Wii has already seen one of its its two biggest games from E3 2008 turn into a worldwide flop and there's a good chance that other big Wii announcement from E3 2008 will also fail to become the same type of huge game that a few earlier Wii titles did.

The downfall of the Wii has resulted from Nintendo's cockiness (stating that they were going to unveil several "Core" games at E3 2008, then utterly failing to do so), their own inability to deliver great games (only four of their games this gen have managed to receive 9 or better review scores from the leading publications and three of the four are based on franchises that are over twenty years old and the last incorporates twenty year old characters into a fighting game.

Nintendo failed to make Wii versions of some of their popular titles as good as recent versions on the Gamecube and DS. Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime 3, and I predict that Animal Crossing will be one of these as well.

Nintendo also utterly failed to attract third party support to the Wii as most third parties wanted to make their best games on the super consoles of this gen instead of on a console that in many ways is still a last gen system.

Lastly Nintendo's downfall had to do with their trying to combat much more powerful consoles with an arguably last gen console and a gimmicky controller.

Of course during the early days of the Wii it was able to generate quite a bit of heat for itself as developers struggled to find out how to properly program a much more complex piece of technology like the PS3, but now as key developers have learned how to make great games much faster and easier on the PS3 than in its early days, the Wii is finding itself to be much like the wrestler Christian Cage in that it will begin to burn out quickly whereas the PS3 is much more as Ric Flair always described himself, "A 60 minute man," and the PS3 will bring the PS family's title of leading console of the last two genereations back home.

Not bad.  As far as satirizations of delusional PS3 fanboys go, this one is actually pretty subtle (or that might have something to do with the fact that it's past midnight, and I need to sleep).  If it weren't for the fact that the post speaks as though Nintendo has already failed, one could mistake it as actually being serious.  That perspective does a good job of helping the reader understand that the post is meant to be divorced from reality, though.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition