By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - LBP sales have depressed me...

LBP is an amazing title, and who knows, perhaps it will have the "legs" everyone hyped it up to be.....or maybe not. LBP is just in a tough position because as Zen, and others have pointed out. People buy the hardcore games more, it's just the nature of things. In no way does this discount LBP, but, like RPG sales, LBP sales seems doomed to be mediocre, no matter the quality. I know, it sucks!

Around the Network

I'm also pretty sad about it, but this game will have legs, because from my own experience and what I've heard everyone who played it, wants it.

I still think it will sell well in the end, and that it will move systems. I read a blog post of a guy who played it with 6 of his friends, 4 of them who already have a PS3 but didn't understand what the game was about were going to buy it, and the other 2 decided to buy a PS3 for it.
I played it with a friend that didn't planned to buy, he was not interrested at all. We played it, laughed a lot, he bought it the day after.

I think this game has 2 main problems:
- People who bought a PS3 are not exactly the kind to rush on that kind of game (doesn't mean they wouldn't like it).
- The concept of this game is incredibly complicated to explain.

Platform game? Seen many times, not so fun...
Level creator game? Ouch looks complicated, and not fun...
Cute characters? Ok... I'm 26... I don't care about cuteness...
You can shake your hands and your head and put stickers everywhere? Huh... are you kidding me?

It's really hard to convince anyone this game is fun, but IT IS. IT IS!!!
It is fun, it's immersive, it's beautiful, it's both simple and have a precise gameplay. This game is just awesome. And it diserve to sell very well.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

Dinomax said:

The reason why little big planet didn't sell well enough because its a CASUAL title on a HARDCORE system.

The system worked itself out. Hardcore gaming prevailed now lets party.

Shame casual gamers don't care what console is what, else SingStar ripoff would never even be considered by M$ to release on their even more HARDCORE system.

Hardcore/Casual label shouldn't be placed on any console as a defination as to why a game fails in sales (hey that rhymed). It's just making excuses.

There are many that bought a PS3 for PES09 and Gran Turismo and Blu-Ray, they are anything but hardcore.

Hmm, pie.

Over-the-top hype leading to frustration and expectations-management? Who would've thought! Afterall, it's only the gazillionth time it has happened this gen with a sony product.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

All I can answer there is why I haven't bought it.

I haven't bought it because BioShock became available on PS3. LBP does look great, and I'll buy it soon, but BioShock just looked so awesome. There was a demo, which I loved. LBP had no demo, all I have to go on are reviews and videos.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Reasonable said:

It's not that they're bad... or that I was ever one of the 'HUGE' crowd.

It's just that I've sat and played it for two days now.  I've sat and played Gears 2 and Fable 2 at a friends, I've been playing Fallout 3 and Bioshock on my PS3, I've been playing some Left for Dead on my PC (demo so I can't say for sure on this one)...

And LBP is just the better game IMHO.  There's no way to say this without sounding elitist so I'm not even going to try, but while all those other games sold better (and I'm confident L4D will too), they just plain aren't as innovative, fun and out and out amazing for me.  They're good, but by comparison LBP is more than their equal, and deserves matching sales IMHO.

Gears 2, Fallout 3 and Bioshock feel like what they are to me... highly polished, very refined but pretty derivative of previous gaming experiences.  I really enjoy them, I do.  They are all pretty much AAA titles by any standard, but they are all about refinement and minimal risk taking... and they all seem a little 'samesy' (and I have to say I hope that Gears 2 represents the peak of 'large' guys with 'large' guns running around blasting, stamping and slicing 'large' chunks out of everything while trying to emote - it's not their strong point and I actually find Gears 2 weaker than 1 for trying to take itself more seriously, I just don't believe the franchise can support it).

Fable 2 is a nice balance of innovation with refinement, and is probably my next favourite title after LBP right now.

L4D is awesome but not as innovate as I'd hoped - I guess so many years of access to thousands of mods on PC FPS meant that many of its aspects would seem familiar.  But it is innovate, and well polished and refined to boot (as far as I can tell from demo).

But LBP is just innovative, polished, refined and the best 'pure' game I've played for years (the next closest title would be Portal, but that was just a single new concept simply executed at the end of the day, even it did have the best song in a game ever).  I just smile all the time I'm playing LBP.  It's infectious.

Now I didn't expect such a cute, fun new IP to outgun shooters like Gears 2... but now I've played it I've found myself depressed because it's hard not to feel that it should outsell a title like Gears 2.  Crazy I know, but it's how I feel.  It's like when I see a great film do okay while something like 'Armageddon' makes millions (although that's worse because while Gears 2 is great and I'll be popping around to my mates plenty to play it, Armageddon is a POS).

So I find myself wondering what's up with the consumer?  After all who else is there to blame?

Why do new IP's struggle?  Why should SMG (which is very good) sell so much vs LBP (which is oh so much better)?

Why should games with oversized guns sell better than games with sackboys?  And what's up with the Japanese?  How in hell can they buy shed loads of games with cute characters, shun shooters for the most part, love Mario and Sonic platformers and not like this?  Is it advertising?  Do they even know it's out?

Or to put it another way... why aren't you buying LBP when it really is that good?  I normally ignore scores but for once I find myself nodding as I look at its reviews and rating on Gamerankings.

I'm so annoyed at the gaming public... I better go calm down... and play some more LBP (after all it might be time to start my first level... or should I get an EyeToy first so I can have my own images?).

A final point.  I think the recall really hurt LBP and I wonder what others think.  I believe it had two negative effects:

1) it meant the title launched much closer to the big shooters (both PS3 and 360) than it should have plus it confused the whole release

2) the nature of the recal implied that despite its image LBP had managed to get itself unsuitable content - and any linking to content that could upset Muslims remains an issue I beleive (just ask that Danish cartoonist).

I think Sony should simply have released then patched.  At the end of the day it was only 1 email for pete's sake.  And the guy who sent it ended up mortified when they delayed release.  I think Sony thought it was showing itself to be totally commited to this wonderful new IP that didn't deserve any blemish on its character, but I believe the recall turned out to be a very bad move on their part.

Gears of War has an installed fanbase and better marketing and so does Fable 2. I told all of the Sony fanboys that LBP wasn't going to be the PS3's saving grace. It's going to be GT5. Also if you want to blame people for the sales of LBP blame Sony for splitting the PS3 installed base between tech and hi-def dvd buffs and Gamers, instead of primarily having the consumers focus on games. Sony expects certain sales, but in reality they should lower it because as I said, less than 1/4 of installed base actually purchases games. GT5 might bring out more sales and push more consoles, who knows?

Bitmap Frogs said:
Over-the-top hype leading to frustration and expectations-management? Who would've thought! Afterall, it's only the gazillionth time it has happened this gen with a sony product.

Oh I didn't buy into the hype.  I thought it would sell around what it has.  I'm lamenting that it seems (maybe Wii fit aside and that's not a game in my book - at least I didn't buy it to play it as a game myself) that titles like LBP cannot achieve the kind of sales a Gears / Halo / GT / MGS title will.

I'm also lamenting that such a great title's launch was so botched - which I do see as squarely a Sony issue.  Media Molecule didn't sound too happy about Sony's approach themselves and I can't blame them.

Still, it is the kind of title that could see a Holiday boost due to the nature of the game.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Gears of War has an installed fanbase and better marketing and so does Fable 2. I told all of the Sony fanboys that LBP wasn't going to be the PS3's saving grace. It's going to be GT5. Also if you want to blame people for the sales of LBP blame Sony for splitting the PS3 installed base between tech and hi-def dvd buffs and Gamers, instead of primarily having the consumers focus on games. Sony expects certain sales, but in reality they should lower it because as I said, less than 1/4 of installed base actually purchases games. GT5 might bring out more sales and push more consoles, who knows?

I agree with most of what you said, but do remember that GT5 impact will be inversely proportional to the time it takes until launch. IMHO one of the biggest managerial blunders Sony has made this gen is delaying their top-tier first party franchise for so long.

Console generations are a race against time, remember that below 10% of users have more than one home console which means as time goes by every 10 sales of a competitor are 9 lost sales for you. In other words the 360 has already swallowed 20M potential ps3 customers. The Wii is harder to gauge because it's got many sales coming from people who otherwise wouldn't have touched a console with a 10ft pole but it's eating a good share of the traditional (let's say, ps2?) market.

So every month that goes without GT5 is diminishing its importance.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

It may do well over the Xmas period.

Reasonable said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

Oh I didn't buy into the hype.  I thought it would sell around what it has.  I'm lamenting that it seems (maybe Wii fit aside and that's not a game in my book - at least I didn't buy it to play it as a game myself) that titles like LBP cannot achieve the kind of sales a Gears / Halo / GT / MGS title will.

I'm also lamenting that such a great title's launch was so botched - which I do see as squarely a Sony issue.  Media Molecule didn't sound too happy about Sony's approach themselves and I can't blame them.

Still, it is the kind of title that could see a Holiday boost due to the nature of the game.

Platformers are no longer mainstream.