By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - LBP sales have depressed me...

@Reasonable

If you're thinking of absolute innovation and new experiences...you are right. However there are plenty of examples of games that have innovated more than their share with old genres in the last few years...

Boomblox, Braid, RE4, MGS series...

In any case, i think the market is too competitive for companies to be taking risks...well the risks you are talking about anyways. After all, Sega used to take lots of risks and we all know how that worked out...

Around the Network
Reasonable said:
Squilliam said:
@ Reasonable, you're over thinking it IMO.

If I saw LBP in the store, picked it up, read the front and back cover etc I would put it down again and buy something else if I didn't know what it was.

The huge issue of the game is theres nothing compelling for me from the front cover to the back cover which would assure me that my $130 would be well spent on that game.

I think what causes this is the fact that the game is supposed to mean so much to so many people that it means very little to any of them. Its attention is spread to thin, it doesn't know what it is.

Take Mario, you know what Mario is as soon as you pick it up, Gears of War is pretty obvious when you see the box, Gran Turismo is pretty obvious too. But what is LBP?

I bet you buy books based on the cover too...

Actually much as I love shooters I mostly hate their covers.  Sheesh the covers of Gears 2 would put me off for sure.  I agree on LBP though.  More than anything its struggling with the fact most people buy genres (something most creative people I've meet actually hate funnily enough) and despite the loose 'platformer' association its actually something unique and hard to categorize.

P.S. I think I read someone thinking I'd insulted SMG.  I don't believe I did.  My point is that having played both they offer a pretty similar experience (and I don't buy a visual trick makes SMG 'different') with regard to the campaign of LBP but then look how much more LBP offers - online play, offline coop, custom levels, the ability to build your own, at least (if not better) art direction, better graphics (SMG looks very nice but it really pales next to LBP on an HD for textures, richness of the gaming world, etc), and so on.  I note that even its creators are stating it was rather conservative as a title.

How much a game appeals to you and you enjoy it is subjective - but you can quantify certain elements and clearly LBP offers much, much more than SMG as a whole.

LittleBigPlanet is a well polished game but it's not for everyone as the hype lead me to believe. When I got into the beta, the part of the game I really wanted to be good was the platforming and I was left very disappointed because it's not a solid platformer.

In Mario Galaxy, you can  run, jump, triple jump, back flip, side jump, jump and spin, spin on the ground, throw fireballs, skate on ice, roll on balls, ground pound, fly as a bee or a ghost, etc... in LittleBigPlanet you can run, jump and grab things. It's just not enough for me.

Signature goes here!

Reasonable said:
Squilliam said:
@ Reasonable, you're over thinking it IMO.

If I saw LBP in the store, picked it up, read the front and back cover etc I would put it down again and buy something else if I didn't know what it was.

The huge issue of the game is theres nothing compelling for me from the front cover to the back cover which would assure me that my $130 would be well spent on that game.

I think what causes this is the fact that the game is supposed to mean so much to so many people that it means very little to any of them. Its attention is spread to thin, it doesn't know what it is.

Take Mario, you know what Mario is as soon as you pick it up, Gears of War is pretty obvious when you see the box, Gran Turismo is pretty obvious too. But what is LBP?

I bet you buy books based on the cover too...

Actually much as I love shooters I mostly hate their covers. Sheesh the covers of Gears 2 would put me off for sure. I agree on LBP though. More than anything its struggling with the fact most people buy genres (something most creative people I've meet actually hate funnily enough) and despite the loose 'platformer' association its actually something unique and hard to categorize.

P.S. I think I read someone thinking I'd insulted SMG. I don't believe I did. My point is that having played both they offer a pretty similar experience (and I don't buy a visual trick makes SMG 'different') with regard to the campaign of LBP but then look how much more LBP offers - online play, offline coop, custom levels, the ability to build your own, at least (if not better) art direction, better graphics (SMG looks very nice but it really pales next to LBP on an HD for textures, richness of the gaming world, etc), and so on. I note that even its creators are stating it was rather conservative as a title.

How much a game appeals to you and you enjoy it is subjective - but you can quantify certain elements and clearly LBP offers much, much more than SMG as a whole.

I already own the game, but if I didn't know what it was I would never buy it. Its not compelling for people to pick up in the store and walk out with it. People tend to make safe decisions when it comes to making purchases, so they'll buy what they know has a good chance they'll like rather than taking a risk. I played a few levels and I really enjoy it but its not really going to have legs like other games in its genre because it really doesn't have that pick up and buy factor.

Like I said earlier, it doesn't really know what it is. It sends mixed messages to the buying public about what the game is about. The difference between LBP and SMG is that people know what Mario is about, they know what to expect. With LBP, who knows? Just from looking at the cover its something I would buy at a bargain bin price to try but without knowing what it is theres no way in hell I would have purchased it without being involved on this forum.

I tried to describe what the game was about to my brother with a PS3? You know what, I couldn't really put my finger on exactly what the game was about. So I just said "Its a good platformer with um a level creater" Not exactly that but I think my message has been delivered.

Making a game innovative is more likely to create a game which tanks in sales rather than sells millions. Theres the concept of building a better mouse-trap to deal with. The reason why games do things the way they do is because they work. With innovation you're taking a big risk.

Tease.

ROFL!!!! Always so witty @d21lewis =D

And I'm on the wagon,LBP deserves a warmer sales reception.

But everything seems to be unplaced: The actual gaming mainstream,the Hard-core base of the PS3,a lot releases of "AAA" games,the delays...oh well,but this doesn't mean LBP units sold are very bad,just do not match those that the game deserve or we're expecting.

Don't worry about how much a game sells, just get the ones you like and play them.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
How many MS fanboys can one have flood a post about LBP? Putting that it "depressed" you has made all of them flock to this thread. :p

Still, I'm impressed that for the most part they're trying to console me - I think!

Anyway, I've just had my sons friends over and watching the four of them play was hilarious.  Clearly the most fun they've had like that with any game.  And that's what counts in the end.

@disolitude, I understand the market all to well.  I'm just lamenting that, if you could take money out of the equation, wouldn't you rather have a steady stream of interesting titles that try for something new vs the current situation?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Xbox games sell more because M$ invests a lot on marketing (not on quality)... xbox players are also young and they have a lot of free time to play 10 games a week... and to top it off... xbox360 is the cheapest video game... I think M$ is going to give a free xbox with their next windows...

The idea of xbox is to become a Ps.... they buy their exclusives, they have worse hardware... Just the price is cheap.... you get what you pay for...

But it's not just little big planet, it's a lot of games for all Platforms that are not selling well as in the past as well. Only 500k for FF6 in the SNES era (US). Were talking about the greatest RPG ever here and only 500k it sold! Also a lot has to do with hype. Not just how much hype but how it's hyped.

humb_lumi said:
Xbox games sell more because M$ invests a lot on marketing (not on quality)... xbox players are also young and they have a lot of free time to play 10 games a week... and to top it off... xbox360 is the cheapest video game... I think M$ is going to give a free xbox with their next windows...

The idea of xbox is to become a Ps.... they buy their exclusives, they have worse hardware... Just the price is cheap.... you get what you pay for...

First post and it's flamebait...

And yeah, whoever that has bought LBP just enjoy it and nevermind about the sales.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Edit: I erased my post