By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - LBP sales have depressed me...

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Another game that I magnificently love is Mario Galaxy. From what I've played of LBP, I like Galaxy a lot better, and I can't really understand why.

I think the key lies within LBP's inherent lack of freedom in the gameplay department. It's cute, it's endearing, I enjoy it for minutes at a time, but it just doesn't feel right to me. It doesn't feel like an epic game. Not the company, the classification.

I would agree that Galaxy is superior to LBP, and the reason for that is the depth of gameplay.  Again, I haven't spent very much time with LBP yet, but the controls and basic moveset are lacking in comparison to the precision and responsiveness that have come to be expected in a Mario platformer (the standard of excellence in the genre).  I have already seen some amazing things, but it's more of an experience in observation rather than gameplay.  The actual event of playing the game is much less compelling.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Around the Network

Well my ranking for the games you cited would be :
Fable 2 > Left 4 Dead >> Gears 2 > Fallout 3 > Bioshock >> LBP

So I guess there's a part of subjectivity in "who deserves sales and who doesn't".

codename64546 said:
Dinomax said:
GooseGaws said:
Dinomax said:

Your letting sales of a video game actually depress you?  Time to go outside, your taking games way to serious.

If you haven't noticed, this is a website on which games are generally taken seriously.  Additionally, this is a comment on the state of the industry as a whole, which has shown many times in the past to lack an appreciation for certain titles which deserved far more attention than they received (though usually to a more significant degree).

dude you should respect people here. This is VG Chartz and basically people talks basically about games and sales.

""I tellS ya!  When I reads someone getting sad over videogames sale I give no respects I tell ya!  NO RESPECTS!""

Are you done trying to derail this thread yet? Honestly, move on.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

kuraobi said:

So I guess there's a part of subjectivity in "who deserves sales and who doesn't".

Just because you don't like a game means that it doesn't deserve good sales?

God you must love Wii Sport.

Around the Network
GooseGaws said:
Are you done trying to derail this thread yet? Honestly, move on.

Your right, I apologise.

The reason why little big planet didn't sell well enough because its a CASUAL title on a HARDCORE system.

The system worked itself out.  Hardcore gaming prevailed now lets party.

The sales are EXACTLY what I expected. I told you Sony were foolish to waste all that marketing money on LBP. It's not a mainstream type of game, and it never will be.

Asmo said:
kuraobi said:

Just because you don't like a game means that it doesn't deserve good sales?

God you must love Wii Sport.

I was saying that the OP shouldn't be depressed because the game HE thinks is better didn't sell more than the others. Firstly because people don't always buy the best games, secondly because which game is better is subjective.

you make a point about new IPs, but if you remember gears was a new ip 2 years ago. I thinkt he larger problem is you are looking at a generation now that grew up after 2d side scrollers. and though cool LBP still has nothing on th best side scroller ever super mario 3 which i play to this day.

one of the other problems with LBP has nothing to do with the game, but the horrid launch clusterfuck over nothing.

the other issue is this is an advanced game that is hiding under a cute exterior, the building part of this game is far beyond the scope of what many players can handle so it cuts out larger parts of the game to people. for me this game goes into the same catagory as viva pinata, too complex for the young, and too cute to catch the more hard core who can exploit it to full potential. though LBP will most likely have a better upside in it with content.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Well, not a lot of people really want to play a cutesy, fun game, no matter how innovative it is.

It's just not some people's cup of tea, like mine.

While I respect it as a AAA title, I'd throw 10 games away, like LBP, to be able to play Gears 2, or Fallout 4 right about now.

Another game that I magnificently love is Mario Galaxy. From what I've played of LBP, I like Galaxy a lot better, and I can't really understand why.

I think the key lies within LBP's inherent lack of freedom in the gameplay department. It's cute, it's endearing, I enjoy it for minutes at a time, but it just doesn't feel right to me. It doesn't feel like an epic game. Not the company, the classification.

I guess I could best compare the game to Guitar Hero, or Elite Beat Agents. It's great, magnificant fun, and one of the best games on the PS3. However, it's a completely different experience from playing a game that has a sense of building, freedom, and exploration in it.

As for Gears 2, the increase focus on Story, attempted successfully, to fix issues that people had with the first games narrative. Thing is, Gears narrative is, and always will be about character development and interactions. It's about having a good laugh with the guys....like deer camp. Gears 2 is the deer camp of narratives.

If you don't know what deer camp is, it's a place where a bunch of grown ass men go to camp out, get away from their wives, and hunt deer. It's usually less hunting, and more jokes, food, farting, snoring, cards, and telling stories. It's an escape from the drama, but it's also very interesting to watch.

As for Gears 2 being able to support serious story, it most certainly can. The core game is so polished and excellent, you could have Dom start quoting Hamlet, and it would still get 90 plus reviews, sell millions of copies in 2 days, and be loved by gears and non-gears fans alike.

When it's true, it's always necessary to remember that most people don't share your opinion. This is one of those cases.

Back to LBP, yes, I can see how it would be depressing for you. We've all seen our share of games we were fanboys of, flop.

Luckily for me, Fallout 3 is unquestionably my GotY, so I can't really be dissapointed with its sales, I always have the Steam excuse.

You're playing Fallout 4!  Have I missed a few years?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...