By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Best RTS of all time?

Total annihilation!! but my fav is probably starcraft, man, even now that game is still fun. TA was amazing thou

Around the Network

Starcraft.

Lots of contenders for second place, depends what I am in the mood for. One game missing some love in this thread is Dark Reign that I think is more of second place then most of the others people mentioned. PS: I don't like Dark Reign 2 as much.

Here's my top five (I can't really put these in order, since they're all awesome):

Command & Conquer (original)
Emperor: Battle for Dune
Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War
Supreme Commander
Total Annihilation

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

I'm playing Company of Heroes right now and it's amazing. Just picked up starcraft so can't compare yet, so for me, right now it's:

CoH and AE2.

PS: I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sins of a Solar Empire

Also, a friend of mine is a huge Stronghold fan.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Another Starcraft vote here, but I really did like Age of Mythology as well.

Around the Network
1n5an1ty said:

StarCraft

No seriously NO OTHER GAME CAN MATCH IT ( except Total Ahnillation that game was created a year b4 SC and it contributed a lot to RTS)

Professional players make 400 grand a year (actaully Savior makes ~70k but w/e)

What do you mean ~70k but w/e?

Vladez said:
Best RTS of all time? EASY:

PIKMIN

Hands down.

yay I'm not the only one :/
Pikmin no competion now stop tryin

g

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

My votes will go to

#1. Supreme Commander - This game rapes hardware but it has such an amazing mod system, a superb queuing system, coupled with strategic zoom (its better than sliced bread), and large scaled battles that can last for hours on end, this game is always sweet action. Sometimes finding the right mods can really help people enjoy a game and this game is extremely mod friendly.

#2. Total Annihilation - Shares much of Supreme Commander's excellent features and for about an entire decade was considered to be the #1 RTS and was most certainly the most modded game ever created.

#3. Sacrifice - Very unique First Person RTS game, mixing spell casting, summoning, soul stealing, and some freaking crazy cool creatures to command. Down side was slow movement for map size and ridiculous difficulty of the latter levels of single player. Also the game came with the map editor used for the actual game campaign (you could literally edit the official game missions with it if you found it to be too difficult, which i did...)

#4. Starcraft - 3 unique races, unmatched balance between the factions, intense LAN matches, the works. Certainly could have used some easement on the micro intensiveness but it was certainly fun for a good while.

#5. Command & Conquer: Generals - Another good RTS, 3 races, a fair bit of diversity, a ton of fun on LAN, fairly simple game plan, pretty much all units are useful throughout the whole battle.

My vote goes to Total Annihilation, I spent years on that game.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

red alert and starcraf ... old school all the way!

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4