By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Fallout 3: Why I don't recomend it...

but here's the thing everything looks like it's from the 1950's.

Sigh, should I try to explain Fallout to the young? Naah nevermind.

Around the Network
Kyros said:

No need to explain anything I think it's a stupid concept: "In the future everything looks like the past"..................... F that.

@Fuzzmosis

1) SPECIAL is gimped. Agility is worthless. Perception is worthless. Charisma is worthless. 3 Stats you can 1 without ANY negative repurcussions. None. Unless hearing "Get away from me" instead of "Hello" bothers you. Intelligence is needed simply for the skill points per level, and not because your charecter becomes retarded with 1 intelligence.

You don't need intelligence either really. Theres bobblehead for every skill (+10 each skill) plus theres 25 magazines that raise skills by 1 and with comprehensive perk you can get +2 for each of them. So those already are +60 skills. Then theres bobbleheads for every SPECIAL and that makes +2(+1 for luck if lucky) for each skill. Skill cap is 100. So after all you will need to raise all your skills up to 37 to maximize them with stuff you can find. Of course theres a lot of missions that raise your skills and some raise even your SPECIAL. Whole game is gimped and badly. :/

2) "You need a science skill of 100 to hack this computer" Damnit, I'm only 99! Why not have incremental difficulty, like a password with 10 charecters, and instead of goobeldygook, all charecters that could be passwords, reducing according to your science skill? Bullshit, same with lockpicking. The Higher the skill, the larger the acceptable angle for the pick.

Why not really take account your character skills? Both hacking and lockpicking are based on players abilities not characters.

3) Combat: It's nice to be able to pause and heal up to full, then keep shooting your minigun. Completely fucking immersive, isn't it?

Not to mention superhealing skills when sleeping. When youre missing an arm JUST SLEEP for 1h and you are ALL OK. All that radiation must have done some miracles in the genes of our hero in the game. Well, same goes with radiation. Just pay few caps(money) to any doc and you don't have any radiation anymore.

4) Combat: The moment I bludgeoned a super mutant wielding a chaingun to death with my level 4, str 3, endurance 4 charecter I realized that combat had become a joke. Ranged enemies are not a threat, only melee ones, and they can be shot.

5) Combat: Enemies do not level up with you, but the higher your level, the stronger enemies in the wasteland. Mirelurks become Mirelurk hunters, Super Mutant Brutes become Masters etc. Not a really big complaint, but they really love their leveling monsters.

When shooting perfect hits with shotgun in the head 20 times to kill one enemy it gets quite annoying. Same goes with mines and frag grenades, which are like farts eventually. I just can't believe that super mutant can step on 40 mines before going down.

6) Speech: Ooo, I have a % chance to increase my score for sugar bombs to 30 caps! I'm in fucking vegas. I'm mixed at complaining about this, it is a Dice Roll game in the end, but it more goes back to SPECIAL being gimped. If you have the skill and the stats, you can get special options, but speech is always just a chance. You just say things very well apparently. Inflection is key!

Yeah, % for speech is just damn stupid. You can very easily to pass those speech challenges with some quick save&load combo and low speech skill.

7) Landscape: How many cell phones did people drop in the middle of the road? First one is cool, the 7000th repeating texture just makes me sigh, and the 14000th one makes me swear. ** Note: Sites and statues are actually extremely well done, just the road texture pisses me off.

Not to mention those all similar magazines they drop in every building everytime similary. Maybe they didn't know that generic textures shouldn't have any detailed stuff in them.

8) Text options - I can't say that the writing is bad, but I'm used to knowledge effecting speech options. Finding out that Bittercup dated Papy leads to an infinite speech loop (For infinte XP with infinite patience), finding out that Asshole Doc Brown was a Doctor to the Slavers or Jericho tried to rape Jenny, and your speach does not change. Huh.

I can say that writing is bad. The whole story is just a joke and main character is just a moran unless you have high intelligence and use those lines that require intelligence. Actually those lines are not intelligent either they are still below average, but not as much as those lines usually are.

Example:

NPC:"I am trying to fix this thing, but I am missing some parts. I was thinking you could help me."

PC option 1:[Intelligence] "Are you going to suggest that I would have to get those parts for you?"

PC option 2:"And what does that have to do with me?"

PC option 3:"I don't get it."

PC option 4:"Ok, bye."

So frigging brilliant!!

9) Weird Karma loop - Want positive Karma? Bring purified water to the beggar outside Megaton.

I think its because the game is for "I want it all and right now!" generation. You get also positive karma for church donations... Infinitely!

10) Vampires. Really?

Yeah, I lolled for this one when I met those vampires ingame. It was just... incredible immersion broker. Well, theres not really much immersion in the rest of the game either. :/

11) Level cap. Really?

Level cap you can reach just in few hours. Really?

*fixed*

12) Tag skills. This is just the old fallout fan in me bitching, but I had assumed tag skills would increase by two because, you know, you're good at them, not just essentially give you a free perk.

Anyway, still a good game, just not what I expected, and I'm in no rush to go back and see if I can find another mad scientist with a rocket launcher in a factory for no apparant reason.

And perks... They are all so unbalanced. Like should I get perk, which will net me +3 skill points for each level from now on(16*3=48) or should I get one of the tens of perks that raise some of my skills only few points or should I get the perk which will give me 30 caps for each bad/good person I kill? (You can get thousands of caps in the game with no sweat.)

13)Surviving

There should be lack of everything. Still my character has tens of thousands caps(money) and thousands of bullets for every weapon!

14)Do it yourself weapons!

Main character is just better than MacGyver and can make much more effective weapons from toycars, lunchboxes & stuff than factory made firearms. Give me a break bethesda! Are they making games for ppl that are very very badly mentally ill, because average ppl shouldn't buy stuff like there is in the game.

Whole game is just a big joke...

@All who think this game looks like crap

Fallout 3 like games can't look as good as those linear "I can't interact with any objects in the game." games you usually play. You just have to pay the price for interaction and free roaming. Usually its graphics that suffer in games like that.

Listen I enjoyed Oblivion so I "get it" about the open and expansive nature of the game. But Oblivion was revolutionary for its time. This game is anything but.

Snarf Barf said:
Kyros said:

No need to explain anything I think it's a stupid concept: "In the future everything looks like the past"..................... F that.

I agree

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network
Snarf Barf said:
Kyros said:

That right there is major lulz. This is coming from a person with a console which has a game with friken walking burlap sacks? Just lawl.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Snarf Barf said:
Listen I enjoyed Oblivion so I "get it" about the open and expansive nature of the game. But Oblivion was revolutionary for its time. This game is anything but.

Oblivion was never revolutionary. Morrowind did everything better than Oblivion years before.

vlad321 said:
Snarf Barf said:
Kyros said:

That right there is major lulz. This is coming from a person with a console which has a game with friken walking burlap sacks? Just lawl.

So....he can't hate the idea of being in the 1950's in the future because of the existence of LBP?  Ignoring whether or not he owns it, the game is on the console he owns and therefore he has no right to complain about another game's ridiculousness?  Wow....that might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

about another game's ridiculousness

Sigh, people play RPGs with Orcs and Elves. Apparently extremely weird Japanese settings are no problem either. But if a game plays in the future and has a 1950 technology style its suddenly ridiculous?

Some people should get their priorities straight. I have not yet played Fallout 3, but the whole Fallout setting in 1+2 is one of the best RPG settings around. Its a game so get real. Thank you.

Torillian said:
vlad321 said:
Snarf Barf said:
Kyros said:

So....he can't hate the idea of being in the 1950's in the future because of the existence of LBP?  Ignoring whether or not he owns it, the game is on the console he owns and therefore he has no right to complain about another game's ridiculousness?  Wow....that might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Yes, that's exactly what Im saying. If he can't accept a plausible setting of the 1950s (there are signs of some really advanced tech later on) in an alternate future/past where a threat of a nuclear attack is hanging over people's heads all the time and didn't disappear with Russia, how can he accept a walking potato sack? Not seeing why the game has signs of the 50s/60s has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835