By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's first (and second) party developers are finally hitting their stride

blackstar said:
blackstar said:
dude Heavy rain is for early 2009 I believe and Quantum theory -whatever the spelling is- is for 2009 too

first and second party u idiot!

LOL

Around the Network

Well ND have said they think that they will have the same release pattern as last gens, so Uncharted 2 in 2009, then I'm thinking Jak IV in 2010 (hopefully)

They obvious question is will we be getting games in 2010? Other than ND and Insomniac, I can't think of any other studios to be able to make games for then

That says it all. It's all awesomeness aligned in one straight path. XD

I know its made by SEGA but when is Yakuza 3 coming out?

As my name suggests it took me awhile to getting around to posting...

I'll explain later...

FilaBrasileiro said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Dgc1808 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:

GT5 - HELL MOTHERFUCKING SHIT FUCKING YEAH FUCK YEAH. Day - 100000

Don't know what your saying... But, YEAA!!!! eerrrr.... MOFO!!!!

DOUBLE YEAH!!!

GT5 FTW!

I just mean gT5 is the game ot end all games fgor me. I woudl byu GT5 if it cost 100 bucks by it self, I hope they'll have some bundle with the wehell and racing seat....that would be awesome for me.

I agree with you....my hype is at the same level!

I would buy GT5, FF13 & would've brought MGS4 for ANY PRICE at launch!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Oh yeah, I heard rumours of incognito splitting up, anyone know anything

@munkeh111

What is the source of these rumors?

@ darth, I think they are quite old, I can't remember exactly

makingmusic476 said:

And it's resulting in an almost non-stop stream of releases for the ps3 in 2009. 

As we all know, the ps3 got off to a rocky start back in 2006.  Most ps3 projects were far from completion, and some of Sony's biggest internal titles were still being released on the ps2, like God of War II.  Sony's various studios were facing a handful of problems coming into this generation, ranging from getting used to the ps3's rather foreign architecture, to being forced by Sony to announce games long before they were ready in an attempt to show off the ps3's potential, sometimes before development had even actually begun.  The Killzone 2 CGI fiasco is a perfect example of this.  Actual development of the title didn't begin until near the end of 2005!

The dearth of releases over the ps3's first year, and arguably over part of its second year (Sony released Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank at the end of last year, but for the first six months of this year Sony only released GT5 Prologue) resulted in the ps3 being dubbed the "Delaystation" by many.  And there was some truth to this, as the more and more we learned about titles like Killzone 2 and InFamous, the further away they seemed.

Now, however, all of these titles are FINALLY starting to come out.  :D

Many studios are now wrapping up their first major projects for the ps3, like Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, and Level 5, while others have already gotten into a nice groove on the system, like Insomniac and Naughty Dog.  Hell, Insomniac will be releasing their THIRD ps3 title, Resistance 2, just next week.

With Sony's studios now working at full capacity, things are looking great for the ps3.   2009 is looking to have one of Sony's strongest first party line ups ever.

So what games should we see throughout next year?

Definite 2009 releases

Killzone 2 - February

Starting off the year with a bang will be Guerrilla Games' blockbuster shooter, Killzone 2.  Sony has put a hell of a lot of time and resources into this baby, and it shows through it's excellent level design, gameplay, and most notably graphics.

White Knight Chronicles - Q1 or Q2, I'm thinking March or April

Level 5's first major JRPG for the current generation of consoles has finally arrived.  Releasing on December 25th of this year in Japan, this game should make it to the other territories relatively quickly, given Sony's emphasis on global releases these days. 

InFamous - May

This is Sucker Punch's first foray into the current generation, and it's looking pretty good so far.  Sucker Punch are kind've like the little brother of Naughty Dog and Insomniac.  They put out pretty damn good games, but it generally takes them a bit longer than the other two to do so.  InFamous was originally announced for Fall of 2008, but earlier this year a delay to 2009 was confirmed.  After extensive gameplay demonstrations and interviews throughout the year, Game Informer managed to peg down a more specific timeframe for the game in their cover story shortly after E3 - May 2009.

God of War III - Q3 or Q4 '09, probably around the holidays

Sony Santa Monica are some of Sony's best developers, and they usually release a game every two years.  God of War hit in March of 2005, and God of War II followed in March of 2007.  God of War III, being their first ps3 title, will  obviously take a bit longer to develop than previous titles.  At last E3, God of War III was announced with a 2009 release date, and since Sony Santa Monica aren't known for delays, I fully expect them to meet this date.  Personally, I think it will follow the path of Uncharted.  Uncharted was announced with a CGI trailer at E306, gameplay was first shown at Sony Gamers Day in May 2007, and the game hit just in time for the Holiday 2007 season. 

Ratchet & Clank Future 2 - Holiday '09

Insomniac release a game every year.  That's just what they do.  The next Ratchet & Clank has already unofficially been announced, and it should be officially announced around the beginning of next year.

Uncharted 2 - Holiday '09

Like Insomniac, Naughty Dog releases games like clockwork, though they often take two years between games at the beginning of a generation, and then one year later on, once they've mastered the ins and outs of the platform they're working on.  This game is a lock for 2009, and it will probably be announced around the beginning of the year, much like MotorStorm 2 and Resistance 2 were announced this past year.

Highly probable 2009 releases
- Slated for 2009, and will most likely make it out in 2009, but shit happens, ya know?

Gran Turismo 5 - Q4 '09

Many were disappointed about this game's delay to 2009, but no one can say it wasn't expected.  The problem with Polyphony Digital is that they're perfectionists (yet at the same time, this is their most positive trait).  The decision to include damage in this iteration of the series only expanded the amount of work they'll have to do to reach the insanely high bar they'll set for themselves.  A few months back it was reported that Kazunori Yamauchi, the director of the GT series, said that a 2010 release date for GT5 wasn't out of the question.  However, that was only a rumor, and it's recently been reported that Yamauchi openly laughed at the thought of a 2010 release date for the game, saying that it will be here "sooner than expected."  I can't help but have my doubts about it hitting in 2009, but I remain optimistic.  I give this game a 75%+ chance of making it out next year.

Heavy Rain - Q3 or Q4 '09

Quantic Dream's latest title was announced way back at E306, with a tentative Fall 2008 release date.  It was finally re-unveiled with actual gameplay footage back at Leipzig in August, with a new 2009 release date.  I would say it's a lock for 2009, but I don't know enough about the developers to say that for certain.  Chances of it hitting next year are 75%, imo.

MAG - Sometime in 2009, who the hell knows

At E3, Sony said this game is targeted for Spring 2009.  Yeah the fuck right.  All we've seen is CGI of a game that is supposed to make extremely heavy use of online features.  While it has been confirmed that beta tests have been going on for awhile now (since before E3), I can't see them getting this title out the door in a timely fashion.  Even if the game is physically near completion (and it probably is), getting a good network going will be a pain.  Look at the problems Socom: Confrontation is having.  It'll be hell getting a game with 256-player matches running smoothly.  Of course, I could be totally wrong.  After all, Zipper have plenty of experience with net code, pioneering the online movement on the ps2 with the Socom franchise.  Chances of making it out in 2009?  65%

Possible 2009 releases
- Well, they've all been technically announced for 2009, if that means anything.

Demon's Souls - Q3 or Q4 '09

Okay, so this game probably will make it out in 2009.  I just desperately HOPE it doesn't.  It really needs more time to cook.  A lot more.  It was announced at TGS alongside a playable demo, and the demo was knocked by journalists for inconsistent design and horrendous framerate problems.  From Software, PLEASE spend a lot more time on this game, so that it turns out at least somewhat decent.  Sony, get on their asses to make sure it's good.  The game looks like it has potential, and I don't want it to end up the next Lair.  :'(  Chances of coming out next year - 70%, as much as I wish that wasn't the case.   I'd say there's a 50% chance of it making it out of Japan next year.

DC Universe Online - Sometime in 2009, nobody really knows.  Nobody pays any attention to SOE, lol

It's another MMO made by Sony Online Entertainment.  SOE, as well all know, aren't that great.  Of course, they used to be under the control of Sony Pictures, a freakin' film studio.  Recently they were put under the control of Sony Computer Entertainment ('bout damn time), so maybe under SCE's supervision they'll be guided into making better titles than the stuff they've been pumping out for the past few years. Chances of making it out next year - 50%

The Wildcard

Trico (Team ICO's next game) - Q4 2009

Team ICO is known internally at Sony as the Olympic Team, given their track record of developing a game in roughly four years.  The end of 2009 would mark the four year anniversary of Shadow of the Colossus, and it was widely speculated that their next game would appear at last TGS with a 2009 release date.  It never showed up, and it's since been reported that it will be shown soon, when Fumito Ueda is "ready".  At first I was very disappointed that the game wasn't announced at TGS, but given the other titles to be released next year, it's not like we'll be lacking awesome games to play if it doesn't make it out until early 2010.  Chances of the game making it out next year - 50%.

Of course, this list isn't including all of Sony's casual stuff, like EyePet and SingStar. 

Of these titles, seven are developed internally at Sony, two are developed by dedicated second parties, two are developed by third parties with Sony taking the role of publisher, and one is developed by a studio that's currently up in the air.  No one knows what's really going on with Quantic Dream at the moment, but rumors are they might become a permanent second party for Sony, much like Insomniac and Sucker Punch.

Also, Sony's strategy this gen has been getting their developers talking to each other and working together, sharing engine tips, tech strategies, etc.  I fully expect Killzone 2 to be one of Sony's WORST looking titles released next year, as all the tech from that game will be going into titles like God of War III and Uncharted 2, much like Killzone 2 itself used tech originally researched for Uncharted.

Great Post. I now know what I'm going to blow all by Christmas Money on. BTW, Killzone 2 is off- the hook.:)

@munkeh111

the rumor I heard was they were being closed down....maybe the success of Warhawk made that not happen