By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Volition: We struggled with PS3 Red Faction

ps3 IS hard to develop for ........................................... wow NEWS

Around the Network

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/895/895570/red-faction-guerrilla-20080731032757660.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/895/895570/red-faction-guerrilla-20080731032809831.jpg

Does this look like a console pusher to you?
(seriously honest question)

edit: forget about that, the screens are from the beta( I think), it's unfair to judge it now by those screens anyway

"Kinect" Games I am really excited about (Click for videos)

Kinectimals        Dance Central      Kinect-Sports   Kinect-Adventures    Your Shape       Kinect-Forza

Owner of :   slim 1000 +  80GB DSlite

We've been over this before. The 360 does have more available memory. Even if you don't include the additional 10MB EDRAM on the 360's GPU the 360's OS takes up less space than the PS3's. Its not a massive difference but the 360 does have more available memory and you don't take the speed hit from having access the split memory banks on the PS3 either.

krimoz911 said:

Who says it has to be all about graphics. It could be the gameplay or AI. Are you implying other than graphics the PS3 and 360 have no limits?

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Goddbless said:
krimoz911 said:

Who says it has to be all about graphics. It could be the gameplay or AI. Are you implying other than graphics the PS3 and 360 have no limits?

LOL,I was just gonna say the same thing,Infact even the most simplest game can take years to develope on a console if the console is hard to dev for..

Around the Network

hiring some help from sony....wow that is probably the greatest idea i have ever heard!!! hell maybe just try asking sony for help. some other developers should take a page from his book

The "lazy developer" excuse has got to be one of the most idiotic things posted on gaming forums, yet it gets posted over and over again. Game programmers are some of the most overworked, underpaid people in the entire tech industry. Huge overtime every week is commonpace, with no overtime pay, all for a significantly lower salary than they could make elsewhere. As for "it doesn't matter as long as both versions come out the same", my understanding is that devs might not have much choice these days. I've heard Sony will no longer certify multiplatform games if the PS3 version is substantially inferior to the 360 version.

IllegalPaladin said:

They should just stop what they're doing and make Freespace 3

:(

I wholeheartedly second this. Freespace 2 is the best space flight "sim" I've played, even surpassing X-Wing/TIE Fighter series. And that's a hell of an accomplishment.

On another note, anyone complaining about lazy devs should try some game programming themselves. Preferably in some commercial company with budgets and deadlines to meet. Most of you don't seem to understand, or even appreciate, how incredibly difficult it is to make even a simple 3D-game with physics modeling, collision detection, perhaps even some AI etc. AND have it all run in real time with steady frame rate.

Lazy devs my ass. Some devs are better than others, not everybody can be a Carmack, but they are hardly lazy.

_mevildan said:
I am not a fan of the "lazy developer" excuse. While it may be true sometimes that the reason certain PS3 versions are weaker, I don't know if you can say it always because of lazy devs. Games have budgets, deadlines and shareholders waiting for money to come in.

Is anyone making the lazy dev argument a dev? I am a professional software dev for a large financial institution and the pressure is always on. Software must me done quickly but be expected to be perfect. Shortcuts have to be taken to meet deadlines etc. There is a real world out there where these "lazy devs" are probably sleep deprived, harrassed and underpaid.

Just my thoughts.

From a game design student, thanks for letting everyone know the reality of it all!  The PS3 architechture just sucks is all--less proprietary mem and bad CPU design for the current day.