By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Volition: We struggled with PS3 Red Faction

Volition: We struggled with PS3 Red Faction

Extra help drafted in to help it match up with the Xbox 360 version.

Red Faction: Guerilla's Associate Producer Sean Kennedy has admitted extra help was needed to bring the PlayStation3 version up to speed with the Xbox 360 version.

Speaking to OXM, Kennedy stressed how hard Red Faction: Guerilla is pushing the current-gen technology and then says that the lack of memory on PlayStation3 caused an additional headache.

"I mean, to be honest, we are pushing the Xbox 360 and PlayStation3 to the limits," he says. "I mean, not only has it been a balancing act making destruction work with the gameplay and making it all come together in a cohesive way that's fun but it's been a balancing act getting the game to run on the systems."

One little change and you're out of memory. When it comes to PlayStation3, there's less memory to work with. We actually ended up hiring some from Sony to help us make our PS3 version. Fortunately, they are the same. We've been able to make sure that PC, 360 and PS3 versions are the same."

Check back next week for the full interview.

Sounds like they had trouble with both systems.  Are they using their own engine or liscencing one?  If it is their own, maybe they should do some refactoring. LOL.

Around the Network

Red Faction: Guerilla's Associate Producer Sean Kennedy has admitted extra help was needed to bring the PlayStation3 version up to speed with the Xbox 360 version.

This has to be quote of the year.

reask said:

This has to be quote of the year.

I agree.  It just goes to show that the PS3 is capable  But then again, maybe it should not be the quote of the year because SONY fanboys and everyone else can reinforce the "lazy developer" argument.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

It's harder to develop on the PS3 than the 360. That's a fact.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Poor Cell processor,Will never be fully used thanks to this Gens small amount of Memory...Both Systems are being pushed to there limits...

Around the Network

Nothing that we haven't been hearing for the past two years really.....dammit Garnett. I can't stop staring at your sig for some reason LOL

I am not a fan of the "lazy developer" excuse. While it may be true sometimes that the reason certain PS3 versions are weaker, I don't know if you can say it always because of lazy devs. Games have budgets, deadlines and shareholders waiting for money to come in.

Is anyone making the lazy dev argument a dev? I am a professional software dev for a large financial institution and the pressure is always on. Software must me done quickly but be expected to be perfect. Shortcuts have to be taken to meet deadlines etc. There is a real world out there where these "lazy devs" are probably sleep deprived, harrassed and underpaid.

Just my thoughts.

Two facts in this article.

Fact #1: PS3 is still harder to develop for.
Fact #2: Fact #1 does not matter, as they both came out the same.

Isn't this their first game this Gen??? Wouldn't be surprised if they are having issues on the first go, multiple dev's have complained in the beginning. One thing am wondering though, are they having trouble using both 256 ram pools on the ps3 at the same time or something???? I really don't get it.... Both systems have 512MB....

4 ≈ One

Wow a fanboy article straight from the fanboy site, just to clear this up the PS3 uses XDR ram which blows the DDR ram the 360 has out the water so this tool that is talking in the article should get his facts straight.