By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan First Day Sales (10/30)

Krill said:
Considering how Sony have promoted LBP, the critical acclaim that it has received and the bundles made available, sales of the game are poor in Japan. I really thought that this game would do much better in Japan.

Still, US and Others sales should hopefully have it selling 750K+ first week of proper launch. Factoring in the 160K odd that were snapped up on the stalled launch would mean first week sales should have been 900K, which would be great for a new IP.

I'm sure Sony will have some positive spin out of this week with PS3 almost definitely outselling Wii, and 360 for sure. Looks like it will be a 1 week spike in terms of beating the Wii though. It will be interesting to see how PS3 sales compare with the 360 in a couple of weeks.

Other's launch scheduled is staggered and a week behind NA, LBP sale will never break any 1 week record due to this, but it will see a more even spread over 2-3 weeks.

Around the Network
mibuokami said:
Krill said:
Considering how Sony have promoted LBP, the critical acclaim that it has received and the bundles made available, sales of the game are poor in Japan. I really thought that this game would do much better in Japan.

Still, US and Others sales should hopefully have it selling 750K+ first week of proper launch. Factoring in the 160K odd that were snapped up on the stalled launch would mean first week sales should have been 900K, which would be great for a new IP.

I'm sure Sony will have some positive spin out of this week with PS3 almost definitely outselling Wii, and 360 for sure. Looks like it will be a 1 week spike in terms of beating the Wii though. It will be interesting to see how PS3 sales compare with the 360 in a couple of weeks.

Other's launch scheduled is staggered and a week behind NA, LBP sale will never break any 1 week record due to this, but it will see a more even spread over 2-3 weeks.

Thanks, I forgot about the staggered launch.  Looks like LBP sales won't be grabbing any headlines. 

Nice LBP numbers, PS3 should have a great week in Japan. We shall see next week.....

Max King of the Wild said:
Da Teacha KRS said:
Da Teacha KRS said:
LBP bombed in Japan just as I expected.

GTA IV doing great on both platforms although far better on PS3.
Great games deserve great sales.

huh? 30K not including hw bundles is a bomb for LBP but 27k for GTA4 is great? am I missing something? Only thing I can think of is your trolling

Combined GTA sold well over 100.000 units compared to 30k (including Hardware bundles), I would say LBP bombed.

This not a 360/PS3 comparison, its a GTA/LBP comparison.

including DUALSSHOCK3 bundles. Ps3 bundles are not in this data

LittleBigPlanet (Normale Version): 21.530 St. -

LittleBigPlanet Dual Shock 3 Bundle Clear Black: 2.817 St. -

LittleBigPlanet Dual Shock 3 Bundle Satin Silver: 2.465 St. -

LittleBigPlanet Dual Shock 3 Bundle Ceramic White: 2.217 St.

I don't see "LBP 80gig PS Bundle" anywhere in there

Just to let you know the 80gb is now the ONLY PS3 model available in Japan (40gb model was discontinued). So when you see LBP DS3 bundle that means it comes with the 80gb PS3. The other bundle (not shown I guess?) is the GT5P PS3 bundle, which also comes with the 80gb PS3.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

smbu2000 said:
Da Teacha KRS said:
Da Teacha KRS said:
LBP bombed in Japan just as I expected.

GTA IV doing great on both platforms although far better on PS3.
Great games deserve great sales.

huh? 30K not including hw bundles is a bomb for LBP but 27k for GTA4 is great? am I missing something? Only thing I can think of is your trolling

Combined GTA sold well over 100.000 units compared to 30k (including Hardware bundles), I would say LBP bombed.

This not a 360/PS3 comparison, its a GTA/LBP comparison.

Just to let you know the 80gb is now the ONLY PS3 model available in Japan (40gb model was discontinued). So when you see LBP DS3 bundle that means it comes with the 80gb PS3. The other bundle (not shown I guess?) is the GT5P PS3 bundle, which also comes with the 80gb PS3.

are you sure those Dualshock 3 bundles arent... ya know... the dualshock 3 bundles?

The first bundles Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III with an 80GB system and a DualShock 3 for 39,800 yen ($398/€292). What's Spec III? Again, don't get too excited. It's a Blu-ray release of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, including all the patched in features and content. Because Japanese people hate connecting their PS3s to the internet.

The second bundle will be known as the "PlayStation 3 LittleBigPlanet Dream Box" and will obviously include
LittleBigPlanet along with an 80GB (in either black, silver or white) and two DualShock 3s. The box will also be covered in artwork of Sackboy. The Japanese will be able to pick this up for 44,980 yen (450/€329). LittleBigPlanet will also be bundled with DualShock 3 controllers

Around the Network

poor LBP,the game itself is great, but it just doesnt work out
and it's just easy to overlook this game when GTA4 is on the shelf
30k-40k first week I guess,now it fails in Japan
I am begining to think it has the same poor result in USA coz I think most of the gamers will choose Fallout3.There are evidences to prove it - Fallout3 tops the most popular game chart in both gamespot and ign, and LBP isnt even on the chart. They are both released at almost the same day.If LBP's sales are big, it will be impossible for this to happen

@ SMBU

Incorrect.

There are DS3 bundles, not unlike Wii Play, which is a game and a controller.

And there are Bundles with the 80 gig PS3.

The different colors for the bundle are white, black, and silver for the controller.

Fail?

steverhcp02 said:
ya know the thing that irritates me most on this site....when we have sell through of shipments...and LBP is sitting at 41% apparently according to the op and people say it bombed. 41% first day sell through.

So... Sony only shipped about 50k... Makes you wonder why people are hopping on the gloom and doom train so fast when looking at the data the numbers are fantastic.

You're reading that the wrong way. Sony 'only' shipped 50k copies of the game because the retailers didn't want more of them. (Or if you prefer, retailers only bought 50k copies of 'LBP' from Sony.)

And usually, in Japan, first day sales represent 2/3 of the first week sales. So a good percentage for a first day sell through would be around 66%. 'LBP' is below that.

So no, 'LBP' numbers aren't fantastic. But it is still doing very well.

LBP could do 80-100k depending on bundles, GTA4 has a huge debut. Probably helps that Capcom does the publishing in Japan

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

smbu2000 said:

are you sure those Dualshock 3 bundles arent... ya know... the dualshock 3 bundles?

Oh I didn't know they were selling the game + controller as a small bundle. I had only seen the article showing the LBP + PS3 + 2x DS3 bundle. Now that I check it out though that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

edit: @DMJ: see above

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"