By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I buy a xbox360 or PS3?? Please, just facts no fanboy bs.

Yawn. ^

Tease.

Around the Network

I would go with 360. Several reasons that come to mind: a larger game library, lower price, superior online experience. RROD now has a 3 year warranty, and the new ones aren't as prone to it anyway. I personally don't find Bluray too amazing, especially considering the high cost of discs- usually 30 dollars or so as opposed to around 15 for DVD.

"superior online experience."

especially now that they are having server problems that are erasing achievements. ;)

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

@ Paul_Warren, a very detailed description, but when quoting only one source (IGN) exteremly biased. No statitical basis can be formed from 1 opinion/review. That is why there are sites like metacritic.com and gamerrankings.com, that takes the average from 100's of sites and compiles a score. The bias then gets removed and we get a 'general concensus' of the 'quality' of the game. At the end the individual person/gamer will have thier own opinion as well.

That being said, there are >350 games on the xbox 360. PS3 barely hits 155.
21 games have the AAA title on the Xbox (89.5% or better rounded up mathematically = 90%) vs 8 for PS3. At the end I am one to believe that 2-3 percent is in the realm of error thus 50 games have a score 85% or better on Xbox vs 31 for PS3. 174 Xbox games have a score 75% or better vs 90 on PS3 (from gamerrankings).

There is much more variety of games on the Xbox from RPG's to JRPG's to RTS (there are at least 6-7 (command and conquer, kanes wrath, red allert 3, supreme commander, universe at war, lord of the rings, warhammer, and the soon to be king Halo wars) ? none on the PS3?? Not every game has to be AAA, but there is so much variety and choice on the Xbox that it fits everyones needs (for example, Chromehounds is considered perhaps the 'best' squad based game on Xbox by many, and after 3 years still is going strong). Similarly, there are so many racing games on the Xbox (did you know that there are 33 so far, including PGR3-PGR4-Burout revenge, Forza 2, NFS:MW, test drive and a few other AAA or near AAA games that are exclusive?) to what Motostorm 1-2 and a fancy demo in GT5 that is excluisve to PS3? by the time the real GT5 comes out the next Forza will be already out.

At the end it is not about a few games here or there, it is about the overall library and the quality of that library as it stands now, not in vaporware or promises for the future. The game library of AAA (or nearly AAA games) for BOTH systems is so good already, that if one just played those games, one would not have need for any new games till the next generation systems come out. Picking apart specific games on each console is for the most part useless as the differences are so small anyways. If one score a 85 --> 100 in college, you would get an A and grade point of 4/4. They do this because there is inherant varience from place to place, and a range is more accurate than a specific number (some places give A for 85-89, and A+ for 90-100, with GP 3.9 for A and 4.0 for A+ just to make the point of distinction and try to encourage excellence).

If you're like me it's simple what's the best console for the price, games, and overall value.

Put it like this 360 pro (the system you'd want) + wireless adapter + live = ~460 (if you want a year of live)

PS3 = 400 comes with wireless built in, free online, and in addition it has blu-ray which DVD9 has huge limitations due to space issues while Blu-ray doesn't have that issue, around the same games but PS3's exclusives are only on PS3 while 360's "exclusives" are 90% of the time also on PC and the superior version is always the PC version, and PS3 has Mouse & Keyboard support as well as mod support, something you can't get on 360.

All around the PS3 will run you the least amount of money, most quality, and have most of the games 360 has and 360 games usually come out on PC so the best set up for this gen turns out to be PS3, Wii, and PC or simply ALL consoles.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

I would go for the PS3 ,in fact its what I did .

It has more features ,more multimedia capabilities ,Blu Ray ,Wifi ,HDD that can be used by developers unlike the 360 one because not standar ,motion sensing controller ,the pads dont need batteries ,web browser ,free online gaming ...

As for the games both machines are pretty even ...both have lots and lots of great games but I would say the PS3 has recently the upper edge.Maybe the 360 in metacritic still show more games with a high ranking but thats because they include all the old sports games and games as COD2 and GH2 when the superior sequels are out and in both plattforms.In practice ,in what you can buy right now and is in the shelves ,both are pretty even.

I would say that the main difference is the first party exclusives ,and there the PS3 has a definite advantage as the numerous Sony studios are churning out games much faster that the few MS studios left (Rare,Lionhead....little else,they have even lost Bungie and closes Ensemble go figure).

The 360 Arcade isnt really a match for the 80Gb PS3,it doesnt offer nearly the same kind of things.If you had to compare the PS3 and the 360 Elite I would say go with the PS3 ...the LBP pack for example.For a few quid more you get Wifi and the Blu Ray player and you more than make up for it with the free online .A better price-value relation and a better pick....I would only go for the 360 if you absolutely cant spend 400 right now but 300 and you dont care at all for multimedia capabilities ,wifi or BR .

MaxwellGT2000 said:
If you're like me it's simple what's the best console for the price, games, and overall value.

Put it like this 360 pro (the system you'd want) + wireless adapter + live = ~460 (if you want a year of live)

PS3 = 400 comes with wireless built in, free online, and in addition it has blu-ray which DVD9 has huge limitations due to space issues while Blu-ray doesn't have that issue, around the same games but PS3's exclusives are only on PS3 while 360's "exclusives" are 90% of the time also on PC and the superior version is always the PC version, and PS3 has Mouse & Keyboard support as well as mod support, something you can't get on 360.

All around the PS3 will run you the least amount of money, most quality, and have most of the games 360 has and 360 games usually come out on PC so the best set up for this gen turns out to be PS3, Wii, and PC or simply ALL consoles.

Dude he mentioned that A - His friends have 360s so why go online and be lonely plus he said he wasn't interested in online, B he isn't interested in Blu Ray, C He said hes looking at the 60gb 360, D he never mentioned that he had a PC, why assume that he can play these games, E there are actually more 90+ games in metacritic for the Xbox 360 than PS3 excluding PC available titles. F. Have you tried using a mouse + keyboard on your lap? Very uncomfortable G. Mod support for games which sold very poorly and the mod community is on the PC anyway. H as a 2nd system the 360 has a lot more cheaper games. Saving $10 a title over 10 titles is $100 - could be more too.

Add me on PSN

Tease.

Squilliam said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

Dude he mentioned that A - His friends have 360s so why go online and be lonely plus he said he wasn't interested in online, B he isn't interested in Blu Ray...

From the OP: "I'm not a huge online gamer (maybe thats bc I own a wii!)" so if he's not a huge online player, paying would be less of an incentive. So free is better when wanting to explore that option. "Lonely???" That wasn't even an issue so you're trolling as much as Max did at times.

Yes, he was. From the PO: "Is blueray really that spectacular? Can i play blueray movies in a regular dvd player?" If the OP wasn't interested in Blu-ray, he would not have asked in which Max gave a legit response here

Edit: I take back that trolling remark in regards to Max.  The Xbox 360 Pro is the 60GB version.  So he has a point.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Hawkeye said:
Depends what you like...

FPS= Both good, you will be happy either way buy 360 may be better.

SRPG= PS3. Other than PSP, PS3 has best SRPGs this gen. Check out Disgaea 3 and Valkeryia Chronicles, the 2 best. 360 has spectral force, which I hear is ok.

Platformer- kinda a toss up. 360 has Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Banjo Nuts and Bolts, and Kameo (if its a platformer, not really sure). Ps3 has pixel junk eden, rayman, and Little Big Planet. Both have 2 sonic games and are getting a new sonic game next year that is nothing but remakes of all of sonic's genesis games and maybe others in HD 1080P.

Puzzle= no clue, every console ever is fine in the catergory. 360 has some good arcade puzzles, dunno about 360.

JRPG= 360 is far better, but PS3 is getting some. PS3 is getting eternal sonata and Tales of Vesperia from 360. Both are getting FF13. PS3 is getting White Knight Chronicles and vs 13. 360 has/is getting blue dragon, lost oddesy, star ocean 4 as exclusives.

WRPG= 360 for sure.

Racing= both are fine. PS3 might be better once GT5 comes out, but you may be waiting a while.

For creative games, both are good. PS3 has Little Big Planet, 360 viva pinata. LBP is practically the greatest game ever, but there are TWo viva games, so it balances out imo.

360 is also $200 cheaper if you don't care about online and dont have an HDTV.

I approve this message.

My Gaming Setup

Jordahn said:
Squilliam said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

Dude he mentioned that A - His friends have 360s so why go online and be lonely plus he said he wasn't interested in online, B he isn't interested in Blu Ray...

From the OP: "I'm not a huge online gamer (maybe thats bc I own a wii!)" so if he's not a huge online player, paying would be less of an incentive. So free is better when wanting to explore that option. "Lonely???" That wasn't even an issue so you're trolling as much as Max did at times.

Yes, he was. From the PO: "Is blueray really that spectacular? Can i play blueray movies in a regular dvd player?" If the OP wasn't interested in Blu-ray, he would not have asked in which Max gave a legit response here

Edit: I take back that trolling remark in regards to Max. The Xbox 360 Pro is the 60GB version. So he has a point.

So many assumptions.

One thing I don't get - why does everyone add wireless to the 360 in these comparisons when the wireless accessory doesn't sell all that well?

Anyway my beef with Maxwell is that hes keeping MM476 away from RFOM 2 and that just won't do. If I was on steam I'd so put the beat down on him.

Tease.