By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Its fanboyish now to consider PS3 has no games

Munkeh111 said:
DaSimkin said:
Munkeh111 said:
It was fanboyish last year as well

Sadly... it wasn't.

I've had my ps3 since launch.. and until fairly recently, and with only minor exceptions (Heavenly sword) I've been playing mostly PS2 or PSN games (And even the psn games is a fairly recent change).

The PS3 is an awesome console, I love it.  But it did not have the games that even came close to exploiting it's potential until the last few months.

Now the question is.. how much potential remains unlocked?  Seeing that no game so far has used more than 3 of the 6 spus..... I guess a WHOLE LOT MORE.

I'm pretty certain Uncharted used most of the SPUs, and I am certain the F1 game used many of them

If you consider all the multi platform titles as well as just exclusives, there were enough games for most people, obviously it cannot meet everyone's tastes, but for the majority of people, the PS3 was not lacking games last christmas

Well... i guess... spiderman 3.. yah.. that game uh.. oh yah.  it sucked... lets face it.  There where some games, but very few quality games.

I really can't think of any PS3 games I played that where much good short of heavenly sword (which was way too short) last year.  This year there have been some PSN gems, And some of the very good games have been hitting the streets.  But sseriously, what good games where around last year at Christmas time.. let alone October.

As for your comment about uncharted.. you're wrong http://www.psu.com/Uncharted-dev-using-only-30-40--of-PS3s-power--a0004449-p0.php

Not sure about F1... and I remember reading that MGS4 did not use all the spus either.. but I don't remember article (and googling it pulls up a lot of irelevent hits :().

PSN ID: TheSimkin

GamerTag: TheSimkin

WII friend Code: 0002 7972 4522 2681

Around the Network

@ dasimkin, I am not disagreeing with that, but I know they spread the load about the SPUs, though I am not sure of the precise details, anyway, here are the game from october and november last year that I can think of

Uncharted Drake's Fortune
Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction
Call of Duty 4
The Orange Box
Folklore
Warhawk
Assassin's Creed

there are others that I can't think of, but including multi platform games, there certainly were plenty

Munkeh111 said:
ultimate_123 said:
Munkeh111 said:
ultimate_123 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
oh and ultimate

you OP post is horrible

whadya mean EXCLUDING LBP...n where the hell is MGS4 on the list?

Oh yeah forgot MGS 4. And I really don't like LBP at all. Mario rip-off.

How is it a mario rip-off, are you saying every 2d platformer is? And also, how much level creation has there ever been in Mario?

Apart from the graphics and the so much glorified 'level creator' there isn't much different from mario. It is a decent game at best. IMO.

Apart from the masses of levels that the online community will create? You cannot say it is a copy by just ignoring 2/3 of the game. I assume you are also going to ignore all the co-op features

@ garnett, how many last gen games had 40 player online multiplayer

Alot of last gen games have more than 40 player online,But for consoles not many i can think of,of course PC gaming has been light years ahead of console gaming so 40 player online isnt that great anymore.

Battlefield 1942 a game which was released the same year as the PS2 and a year before XBOX has 64 player online battles,but of course its for PC,but did you know it was coming to Console but the Consoles didnt have proper online so they canceled it

So its more of the companys fault for being so late with online capabilitys,and it really depends on the game,i cant see Halo 4 with 64 player online that would be horrible.

@ garnett, I don't want to play on my PC, I much prefer console gaming, and so that is what I am comparing resistance to

excite truck better than motorstorm?

what this world have come to?

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
@ dasimkin, I am not disagreeing with that, but I know they spread the load about the SPUs, though I am not sure of the precise details, anyway, here are the game from october and november last year that I can think of

Uncharted Drake's Fortune
Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction
Call of Duty 4
The Orange Box
Folklore
Warhawk
Assassin's Creed

there are others that I can't think of, but including multi platform games, there certainly were plenty

You know what.

I stand corrected, there where some good games christmas last year.  Not enough, but definately some!

It seemed like far less than a year that those games came out.

Thanks for clearing that up Munkeh.

PS. My favorite from that list is definately Folklore. but uncharted is a great game too!

I still have to give ratchet and clank a fair shake.. but the demo just left me bored so i never bought it. 

PSN ID: TheSimkin

GamerTag: TheSimkin

WII friend Code: 0002 7972 4522 2681

From this point on, Sony's first and second party is just pumping out the titles.

We just got LittleBigPlanet and MotorStorm 2. Resistance 2 is next week. Killzone 2 is hitting February (and it will OWN - trust me), and White Knight Chronicles should hit the West around that time. InFamous will follow in May. Ratchet & Clank Future 2 and Uncharted 2 are a lock for the end of the year, despite having not been announced yet, and God of War 3 should make it out by then as well.

makingmusic476 said:
From this point on, Sony's first and second party is just pumping out the titles.

We just got LittleBigPlanet and MotorStorm 2. Resistance 2 is next week. Killzone 2 is February (and it will OWN - trust me), and White Knight Chronicles should hit the West around that time. InFamous will follow in May. Ratchet & Clank Future 2 and Uncharted 2 are a lock for the end of the year, despite having not been announced yet, and God of War 3 should make it out by then as well.

Ratchet has been announced. I think we should also have Heavy Rain next year, and hopefully there are a few unexpected things for next christmas. There is also eyepet, but I care little about that, Uncharted is going to be the big game for next christmas, though I don't think the line-up as a whole will be quite as good as this year

Munkeh111 said:
twesterm said:
Munkeh111 said:
@ twestern, I didn't think it was that special, nothing like CoD 4, but I did like the art style, though much of that may be because of the good old red telephone boxes. I though the story was decent, but I am probably a bit of a sucker for alternate history. I thought the gameplay was good, but each to his own

Of course you can't really compare it with game released now, it was Insomniac's first FPS (save disruptor on the PS1) and obviously getting to grips with a new console is tough, so they may have had to rush it slightly to get it out for launch, but I do think that R2 is going to fix the issues that most people had

I will agree that R2 looks much better and it's always good sign when they actually listen and improve that much.  R2 even made it on my Amazon wish list.

Well insomniac are great devs, especially as they manage a game per year.

Does a game making it on to your amazon wish list mean you are likely to buy it? or will it just be a rental

Putting it on my wish list means I want it for one reason or another (I get some games for research).  If someone doesn't give it to me I'll likely buy it eventually, it will just be a while because there are a lot of other games I need to get through first.

Munkeh111 said:
makingmusic476 said:

We just got LittleBigPlanet and MotorStorm 2. Resistance 2 is next week. Killzone 2 is February (and it will OWN - trust me), and White Knight Chronicles should hit the West around that time. InFamous will follow in May. Ratchet & Clank Future 2 and Uncharted 2 are a lock for the end of the year, despite having not been announced yet, and God of War 3 should make it out by then as well.

Ratchet has been announced. I think we should also have Heavy Rain next year, and hopefully there are a few unexpected things for next christmas. There is also eyepet, but I care little about that, Uncharted is going to be the big game for next christmas, though I don't think the line-up as a whole will be quite as good as this year

Uncharted will be awesome, but the "big" game for Christmas should be God of War 3.  :P

MAG is also set for release next year, but I can't help but feel it won't make it out by then.

And outside of MGS4 and LBP, that line up owns this year, imo.  Hell, the only exclusive the ps3 had this year prior to June was Haze.