By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Its fanboyish now to consider PS3 has no games

twesterm said:
ultimate_123 said:

Seriously it is. The PS3 has many great games now (Exclusing LBP). Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, Resistance 2,Motorstorm, Motorstorm 2. It now really depends on your personal taste of gaming whether or not you want a 360 or PS3 so everyone saying PS3 has no games it still living in the past.

It's only fanboyish if you don't like them because they're Sony...

I don't think the PS3 has many great games at the moment, but only because I don't like any of the games on that list of currently released games with the exception of Uncharted or I just like the multiplatform ones better with the exception of Dead Space (trophies at launch).

• Uncharted - I like the game
  • LBP - I liked it, but isn't a day one purchase for me. When I get it it will probably be around January so I can play other games first and let the community grow. I also want to see how the community develops.
  • Ratchet and Clank - Tried it and didn't like it.
  • Resistance - tried it and thought it was nothing more than an overhyped generic shooter/last generation game with update graphics,not next gen grahpics but UPDATED!
  • Motorstorm - tried it and liked other games in the genre (Excite Truck mainly) much more
  • MGS4 - I don't think I've ever liked a MGS game. I really tried to get into MGS2 on the PS2 (I think it was that one) and tried again with MGS4 and just couldn't drink the MGS Kool-Aid.

(note-- I'm not listing unreleased games or games I haven't played)

As for multiplatform games

• Dead Space - had trophies at launch so got that one
  • Fallout 3 - Doesn't have trophies, not going to get it
  • GTAIV - didn't have trophies until a few days ago
  • The Orange Box - no trophies and apparently ran like crap from what I heard
  • Soul Calibur IV - no trophies and I like Yoda
  • Eternal Sonata - came out a year earlier on the 360
  • Bioshock - came out a year earlier on the 360

(another note-- again, listing games I've only played, or plan to eventually in Fallout 3's case, and that I can remember off the top of my head)

Added!

Around the Network
ultimate_123 said:
Munkeh111 said:
ultimate_123 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
oh and ultimate

you OP post is horrible

whadya mean EXCLUDING LBP...n where the hell is MGS4 on the list?

Oh yeah forgot MGS 4. And I really don't like LBP at all. Mario rip-off.

How is it a mario rip-off, are you saying every 2d platformer is? And also, how much level creation has there ever been in Mario?

Apart from the graphics and the so much glorified 'level creator' there isn't much different from mario. It is a decent game at best. IMO.

Apart from the masses of levels that the online community will create? You cannot say it is a copy by just ignoring 2/3 of the game. I assume you are also going to ignore all the co-op features

@ garnett, how many last gen games had 40 player online multiplayer?

Munkeh111 said:
ultimate_123 said:
Munkeh111 said:
ultimate_123 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
oh and ultimate

you OP post is horrible

How is it a mario rip-off, are you saying every 2d platformer is? And also, how much level creation has there ever been in Mario?

Apart from the graphics and the so much glorified 'level creator' there isn't much different from mario. It is a decent game at best. IMO.

Apart from the masses of levels that the online community will create? You cannot say it is a copy by just ignoring 2/3 of the game. I assume you are also going to ignore all the co-op features

This might be a little off topic, but why do people keep thinking more is better?  They keep saying OMG 40 player multipler!! like it's definitive proof that it's awesome and can't be beaten.

I admit just having 40 players in a multiplayer game on a console is impressive but that doesn't make 4v4 bad or worse than 40.

twesterm said:
Munkeh111 said:
ultimate_123 said:
Munkeh111 said:
ultimate_123 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
oh and ultimate

you OP post is horrible

This might be a little off topic, but why do people keep thinking more is better?  They keep saying OMG 40 player multipler!! like it's definitive proof that it's awesome and can't be beaten.

I admit just having 40 players in a multiplayer game on a console is impressive but that doesn't make 4v4 bad or worse than 40.

It certainly makes it different from last gen and I personally prefer the larger scale multiplayer, and I think the main thing is that the multiplayer was generally greatly praised and also, if you want to accuse Resistance of just copying everything else, just look at the weapons.

Munkeh111 said:
twesterm said:
Munkeh111 said:
ultimate_123 said:
Munkeh111 said:
ultimate_123 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
oh and ultimate

you OP post is horrible

It certainly makes it different from last gen and I personally prefer the larger scale multiplayer, and I think the main thing is that the multiplayer was generally greatly praised and also, if you want to accuse Resistance of just copying everything else, just look at the weapons.

Didn't accuse it of copying, just called it generic. 

• Lame art direction when they could have done a lot of neat things
  • Generic story where they could have done some cool things
  • Completely uninspired gameplay

It was a good launch title but that's about it.  I still don't see why people call it the most awesomest thing ever.  I guarantee you that if it were released today it would be struggling to sell 750k copies.

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
It was fanboyish last year as well

Sadly... it wasn't.

I've had my ps3 since launch.. and until fairly recently, and with only minor exceptions (Heavenly sword) I've been playing mostly PS2 or PSN games (And even the psn games is a fairly recent change).

The PS3 is an awesome console, I love it.  But it did not have the games that even came close to exploiting it's potential until the last few months.

Now the question is.. how much potential remains unlocked?  Seeing that no game so far has used more than 3 of the 6 spus..... I guess a WHOLE LOT MORE.

PSN ID: TheSimkin

GamerTag: TheSimkin

WII friend Code: 0002 7972 4522 2681

@ twestern, I didn't think it was that special, nothing like CoD 4, but I did like the art style, though much of that may be because of the good old red telephone boxes. I though the story was decent, but I am probably a bit of a sucker for alternate history. I thought the gameplay was good, but each to his own

Of course you can't really compare it with game released now, it was Insomniac's first FPS (save disruptor on the PS1) and obviously getting to grips with a new console is tough, so they may have had to rush it slightly to get it out for launch, but I do think that R2 is going to fix the issues that most people had

DaSimkin said:
Munkeh111 said:
It was fanboyish last year as well

Sadly... it wasn't.

I've had my ps3 since launch.. and until fairly recently, and with only minor exceptions (Heavenly sword) I've been playing mostly PS2 or PSN games (And even the psn games is a fairly recent change).

The PS3 is an awesome console, I love it.  But it did not have the games that even came close to exploiting it's potential until the last few months.

Now the question is.. how much potential remains unlocked?  Seeing that no game so far has used more than 3 of the 6 spus..... I guess a WHOLE LOT MORE.

I'm pretty certain Uncharted used most of the SPUs, and I am certain the F1 game used many of them

If you consider all the multi platform titles as well as just exclusives, there were enough games for most people, obviously it cannot meet everyone's tastes, but for the majority of people, the PS3 was not lacking games last christmas

Munkeh111 said:
@ twestern, I didn't think it was that special, nothing like CoD 4, but I did like the art style, though much of that may be because of the good old red telephone boxes. I though the story was decent, but I am probably a bit of a sucker for alternate history. I thought the gameplay was good, but each to his own

Of course you can't really compare it with game released now, it was Insomniac's first FPS (save disruptor on the PS1) and obviously getting to grips with a new console is tough, so they may have had to rush it slightly to get it out for launch, but I do think that R2 is going to fix the issues that most people had

I will agree that R2 looks much better and it's always good sign when they actually listen and improve that much.  R2 even made it on my Amazon wish list.

twesterm said:
Munkeh111 said:

I will agree that R2 looks much better and it's always good sign when they actually listen and improve that much.  R2 even made it on my Amazon wish list.

Well insomniac are great devs, especially as they manage a game per year.

Does a game making it on to your amazon wish list mean you are likely to buy it? or will it just be a rental