By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Miyamoto - Wii Music is hardcore? Hardcore = amount of time spent playing?

@Dodece

The problem with that logic is that Wii Music actually adds a new dimension to "hardcore" gameplay, much more so than games in established genres (most notably FPS and RPG) that only add small new ideas to the concept of "hardcore" gameplay, which can take many forms.

One "hardcore" way to play any linear game has always been to speedrun. That is a very difficult activity best left to the most devoted and skilled. Any game with multiplayer offered another way to be "hardcore" - to do well against other people. There have been a few new ideas introduced over the years that create new ways to express extremely devotion to playing games, but mostly games caused little change.

Wii Music, however, adds a whole new way to be "hardcore" - by creating great music. That has almost no precedent (maybe mario paint, but Wii Music is pretty different from that), and is a much bigger step for a single game to take than, say, adding realistic physics to slightly alter approaches to speedruns. Of course I'm not saying it's the biggest change ever, but certainly from your definition (which I'm kind of guessing at, so correct me if I'm wrong), Wii Music is by no means making no progress for those willing to devote time and effort to a game.

Around the Network

@Dodece: What are you talking about?

Okay, fine. What games do you consider "hardcore?" I'd love to hear it. The fact is, people that play things "hardcore" in itself is an obscure rarity. Is there some sort of minimum # of players playing the game so intensely for it to qualify as "hardcore?"

c0rd said:

@Dodece: What are you talking about?

Okay, fine. What games do you consider "hardcore?"

Not even he knows what he's talking about... lolol

And I'm sure we'll hear Halo, GTA, Mass Effect plus a bunch of other usual crapy easy games.

Myamoto is on drugs. I really think he jumped the shark with this.

Thank god. It's been nearly 20 minutes since a thread has been made taking something out of context and freaking out about it.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Miyamoto should talk less.

Ok. Lets take a list of people here who are accidently or deliberately taking this comment out of context

Hanafuda
Pristine 20
Pretendo
Jo21
Kingofwail
Kyros
Yojimbo.

So My question goes out to all of you. Did you just not understand what he said? Or is your misrepresentations of his words deliberate?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Wow some of you "snobcore" PS360 fans sure can't read it seems, hell even I who don't have English as first language could see that he didn't say that Wii Music was hardcore...

Hell I belive there are more people that are even more hardcore/Snobcore" then some of you who play this game.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Wii Music is much, much harder than Guitar Hero, with more depth as well.

Guitar Hero & Rock Band are just "simon says" on meth.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Wii music is all but good

gamekult.com (french) gave it the same score then Lair : 3/10

Time to Work !