By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Miyamoto - Wii Music is hardcore? Hardcore = amount of time spent playing?

The term was coined by gaming culture, and not by manufacturers or publishers. He is technically correct a definition for a hardcore gamer is someone that can take a simple proposition, and transform it into a convoluted challenge. Thus you have hardcore gamers that time trial their games in an effort to shave a second off a play through, and will dedicate hundreds of hours to their quest.

That however does not mean a game is necessarily designed to be hardcore in nature. There is a fundamental difference between a found object, and one that is crafted. You can turn a brick into a hammer. That does not necessarily mean that was the intent. A hardcore game is crafted explicitly for the purposes of being played in a hardcore fashion even if some that play it do not follow the path to that distant conclusion.

In this instance saying he can find a few really stupid hardcore players to waste over a hundred hours on an obviously very casual game does not mean the game is hardcore. Instead it either shows a severe lack of understanding about the terminology, or a desire to try and repackage the product. There are only a few games that I would credit to Miyamoto that actually span onto the hardcore gaming scene.

I would say the last couple titles he made that I felt had that dynamic would be Mariokart 64 for its battle mode, and Starfox 64 for its kill counting. I would also say those only flew, because Mario Kart was ridiculously addictive, and complex enough to actual involve a great deal of mastery, and Starfox had a built in high score system. Even so this is at the very low ebb of the spectrum.

Around the Network
Zucas said:
kingofwale said:
I think this is why people love Miyamoto.

Can't offer anything for hardcore gamers this year?? Why not deny and change the definition of the word to your liking?

I think Microsoft and Sony need to do this.

"Yes, I think RRoD is not any problem at all. We all know that 33% failure rate is Industry standard"!

"Yes, PS3 is doing awesome!!! We are intended to lose all this money, for tax benefits"

Oh this is cute.  Haha it's like you are confusing the stereotype of "hardcore" with the actual meaning of hardcore haha.  I'm sorry your just as cute as those LBP characters now.  But seriously thinking ignorance is cute is just silly because I might as well think mental retardation is downright adorable.  Stole that from the boondocks but you get my point.  Don't try to diss someone if you just can't get even the simplest of things correct.  Of course if it was so simple I guess all these little kids would understand the difference but I guess critical thinking is no longer a value of the human culture.

Evidentally not, you rambled on about some senseless stuff as an attempt to 'insult'. kinda like... 'little kids' trying too heard at 'dissing' others. ;)

Next time... save it and please stick with points. This is an "INTERNET forum".

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Dodece said:
The term was coined by gaming culture, and not by manufacturers or publishers. He is technically correct a definition for a hardcore gamer is someone that can take a simple proposition, and transform it into a convoluted challenge. Thus you have hardcore gamers that time trial their games in an effort to shave a second off a play through, and will dedicate hundreds of hours to their quest.

That however does not mean a game is necessarily designed to be hardcore in nature. There is a fundamental difference between a found object, and one that is crafted. You can turn a brick into a hammer. That does not necessarily mean that was the intent. A hardcore game is crafted explicitly for the purposes of being played in a hardcore fashion even if some that play it do not follow the path to that distant conclusion.

In this instance saying he can find a few really stupid hardcore players to waste over a hundred hours on an obviously very casual game does not mean the game is hardcore. Instead it either shows a severe lack of understanding about the terminology, or a desire to try and repackage the product. There are only a few games that I would credit to Miyamoto that actually span onto the hardcore gaming scene.

I would say the last couple titles he made that I felt had that dynamic would be Mariokart 64 for its battle mode, and Starfox 64 for its kill counting. I would also say those only flew, because Mario Kart was ridiculously addictive, and complex enough to actual involve a great deal of mastery, and Starfox had a built in high score system. Even so this is at the very low ebb of the spectrum.

again, wrong.  Almost any game can be played hardcore even if it's not a hardcore game.  He never said the game was hardcore, reading comprehension.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I guess you need to be pretty hardcore to play an atrocity like Wii Music for several hours on end.

I kid, I kid. Or am I? Anyway, I think Miyamoto is right, hardcore defines hów you play a game.

I said before and I'll say it again. Casual/hardcore is an oversimplification of something complex. You can play any game in a hardcore or casual manner. If you play Tetris to try to reach the highest level possible, you are a hardcore Tetris player. If you play Halo with your friends for fun, you are a casual Halo player. That's all.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Around the Network

@Zucas stop with the Haha stuf =p.

Well Miyamoto said it so what he says goes cos he's like, MR. GAMING. End of! Also Malstrom said it too and he seems to know what he's talking about. Games aren't hardcore, the way they are played are. What's so hard to understand about that? Hardcore gamer seems to be something gamers themselves invented.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

@johnsobas

No he simply implied that the game had value as a hardcore experience. Which it most certainly does not. Yes you can find a few hardcore gamers that can get off on just about anything. Every community has its embarrassments. I once knew a hardcore gamer that dedicated himself earnestly to bug hunting. That was all the guy did just went through a game looking for how to break something. He would spend hundreds or thousands of hours doing just that. Frankly the point eluded me, but for him finding a bug was like a revelation from god.

The point is if there is a point to all of this is simple. Using an obscure rarity as a statement is absurd. What do you say if I find a cat that will let me put it on a skateboard and roll it down hills without jumping off. Do you say skateboards are obviously a good entertainment for cats. Probably not you will say I just found a rather peculiar cat. In the same way that if you find some very strange hardcore player that can actually turn a very casual experience into a convoluted trial by fire.

Nobody works from this kind of logic in real life, nor would they expect it to fly. Why even say something like this unless you want to create the wrong impression. Hardcore shouldn't even be used in conjunction with this game its just wrong on so many levels.

"I think you'll find people who are as hardcore playing Wii Music as any other game"

He said that you'll find people that play it hardcore. You will also find people playing wii sports and wii fit hardcore even though hardcore gamers will forever say that it is shallow and you can never find a hardcore experience in it. Wii Music has far more content and possibilities than wii sports or wii fit. There will be many people that play it hardcore, and many people that put it down after 1 try.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

This is what hardcore really means in the gaming world someone who spends a lot of their free time trying to perfect their skills in a game wether its casual or not. Theres no such thing as a hardcore game, this is what i said in a previous thread before only gamers can make a game hardcore from tetris to halo.

I myself have been playing hours and hours of Smash Bros. Brawl to get better and better beating the living shit out of thoes CPUs (because i cant find anyone online and none of my freinds are anywhere near my area and dont have wiis or DSs)