By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Miyamoto - Wii Music is hardcore? Hardcore = amount of time spent playing?

By reading some of the posts in this thread am i right to assume the definition of hardcore is someone who has reading difficulties?

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

I think it's really pathetic that we have so many people coming in this thread, not even reading the material and writing BS against miyamoto. Almost all of them are PS3 fans, and it's just pathetic. Yea 70 posts later people are still doing it. It's as if they are searching bad they can say about miyamoto then when they they are wrong they just disappear.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Garnett said:
Very few people are going to be playing Wii Music 9 months down the road,Therefore it is not a hardcore game as he says.

Whoa a fortune teller!

RolStoppable said:
Nintendo actually talks about core and expanded audience. "Core" being the people who played videogames before Wii and DS and "expanded audience" being the people who became interested in videogames due to the Wii and the DS.

The hardcore/casual categorization was coined by the people who want to disregard Nintendo's success, usually their competition and fans of non-Nintendo systems (either gaming journalists or regular gamers). But actually hardcore and casual should be used to describe the time dedicated to play videogames. What types of games are played is irrelevant.

Nintendo actually talks about core and casual.

Here's Reggie telling us all about it:

http://www.destructoid.com/reggie-meat-man-fils-aime-says-the-core-gamer-is-insatiable--106822.phtml

"The gaming enthusiast that buys a tremendous amount of games is truly insatiable. As an example, in March, we launched “Super Smash Bros. Brawl.” In April, we launched “Mario Kart.” In later April, we launched “Wii Fit.” Then, in July, at E3, they say, “where are the games?” They say they want the next Mario game. “Super Mario Galaxy” isn’t even a year old yet. We believe today that we have shown a plethora of games and genres that can satisfy the most casual to the most core. Even that doesn’t seem like it’s enough."

In fact, here he even seems to be taking it a step further, and suggesting that a core gamer is someone that buys a tremedous amount of games...

Edit:

In fact, there's tons of this.  Here is Reggie on core and casual Wii Fit gamers:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/853/853258p1.html

IGN: We don't think you will have any trouble hitting the casual sector, but what about the hardcore? Are you going after them with Wii Fit, too?

Reggie Fils-Aime: We absolutely will. We've seen the core consumer have just as much fun playing Wii Sports as the casual gamer. We expect the core to be thrilled with Wii Fit because it has such a wide range of experiences. It's more than just the aerobic or stretching exercises -- there are quite a number of other mini-games, if you will, embedded in the software that we think will speak to the core consumer.

He doesn't mention anything about time spent playing, just that mini-games will speak to the core consumer, and so on.

PSN - hanafuda

Garnett said:
Very few people are going to be playing Wii Music 9 months down the road,Therefore it is not a hardcore game as he says.

Very few people play are still playing games that are seemingly "hardcore." Is anyone still playing MGS4? I bet Wii Sports sees more use later in its life. That is one hardcore game.

@hanafuda: Reggie didn't say anything about core gamers in the first quote. He said "gaming enthusiast." He's not about to insult the whole core audience, only the idiots that constantly whine for more games.

As for the second quote, it only makes it obvious his definition of core is nothing like the "hardcore" term everyone here throws around. Like Rol said, they're simply people who've been playing videogames before the Wii. Most of these people aren't the type to be insulted by Wii Fit (unlike the "hardcore"), so they may find something enjoyable in it.

Around the Network
hanafuda said:
RolStoppable said:

He doesn't mention anything about time spent playing, just that mini-games will speak to the core consumer, and so on.

so are you going to keep ignoring my post where i responded to that statement?

SmokedHostage said:
leo-j said:
Hardcore= Amazing epic experience, a great game, that is enjoyed by gamers

Casual= just a game that is enjoyed by everyone

^^^

thats my categorization

I guess GTAIV is casual..

I see u dont understand something here, everyone is not all gamers. everyone is your mon, gramma and their friends, girlfriends and eveyone that never really played a game before and picked up games like Wiifit and WiiSports. So eveyone means any person. GTAIV is not enjoyed by everyone, is enjoyed by most gamers