By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Analysis: PS3 selling more games than Xbox 360 with smaller install base

CGI-Quality said:

I had a feeling you'd chime in bro :D

lol, well you know me. ;D

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

It would seem that most will cherry pick, as long as they don't get caught. Nice with ice cream i am told

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

FishyJoe said:

There is a term to describe this analysis, trying to remember...

LOL.

OT, maybe the article expected the 360 to be tops with every 3rd party devs since M$ has been working hard to win them. But the ones listed do seem somewhat cherrypicked. Konami for crying out loud!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

don't people in many of these european countries have to pay the equivalent of $100 US for PS3 games? Obviously in the US they are only paying $60, much of this is due to taxes it does not necessarily translate to profit.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Original post's source is from gamerblorge, if that tells you anything.

KatinJin said:

http://www.blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2008/08/04/pachter-on-apparent-ps3-dominance-among-third-parties.aspx

Quote from newsweek:

In recent earnings reports like EA's and Ubisoft's, a breakdown of revenue by platform shows that PS3 is outstripping 360 and Wii. How do you explain the discrepancy between the installed base advantage that Xbox 360 and Wii have over PS3 and the revenue superiority that the PS3 is demonstrating for EA and Ubisoft?

Two things are at work. First, the way deferred revenue works: EA recognizes revenue on Xbox 360 over six months following the sale, but does NOT do so for PS3. So sales of Xbox 360 games during the last two quarters (Battlefield: Bad Company and Army of Two) are rolling through till December, while sales of PS3 games are booked when sold. Second, some of EA's sales are skewed in Europe, where UEFA Euro 2008 and Battlefield probably sold a little better on PS3, and with Rock Band launching in Europe this year (also skewed PS3). Ubisoft was because of Haze, which was a PS3 exclusive.

I don't think a single quarter represents a trend. EA won't be that way when Madden shows up and when the deferral starts to lap itself.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Around the Network
ultimate_123 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Xen said:
makingmusic476 said:
Wait. I thought all ps3s were bought for Blu-Ray??

Yup, I also thought it had no games...

Yup I thought it was: it has NO games, it's ONLY a good Blu-ray player, and $399.99 is WAAAAYYY too expensive and NOBODY will see the value in that - yup my PS3 bothers I'm sure you recall that one too.

It had no games at all about a year ago. Right now it has some great games, just a bit less Great games than 360 but it really depends on your tastes.

Folklore

Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Resistance: Fall of Man

Eye of Judgement

Guitar Hero III

Dirt

Heavenly Sword

Stranglehold

Oblivion

Warhawk

GRAW 2

Ninja Gaiden: Sigma

COD3

Def Jam: Icon

F.E.A.R

Motorstorm

Fight Night: Round 3

Virtua Fighter 5

My friend, these were all games that I had already played on PS3 a year ago at this time. Keep in mind that Uncharted, Pro Evo, singstar (europe) as well as GTPrologue (Japan) were JUST around the corner. The list is not made entirely of exclusives, ofcourse, but I'd say that's one mighty fine looking list.

The idea that the PS3 did not have any hard-hitting games ended when Warhawk came out in August of last year, IMO. I've had a great exclusive to play atleast once every two months since then, with enough multiplats to watch the dust build on just about every other console.

mrstickball said:
FJ-Warez said:
johnsobas said:
the numbers we have don't back it up, 360 is constantly outselling PS3 WW. The only reason might be that companies are getting more revenue from europe than the US because the games are more expensive.(revenue does not equal profit).

This...

This.........Is...........Seconded!

VGC is at odds with the article by a long shot. According to VGC data, the X360 has sold just under 63 million software units this year versus 46.8 million software units for the PS3.

So someone is off by quite a bit. Take your pick.

An interesting fact using your numbers:

360 attach rate = 63million software/21.7 million hardware = 2.90322

PS3 attach rate = 46.8 million software/16.15 million hardware = 2.89783

very close if you ask me....even closer if you use an actual number rather than "just under 63 million software units"

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:
mrstickball said:
FJ-Warez said:
johnsobas said:
the numbers we have don't back it up, 360 is constantly outselling PS3 WW. The only reason might be that companies are getting more revenue from europe than the US because the games are more expensive.(revenue does not equal profit).

This...

VGC is at odds with the article by a long shot. According to VGC data, the X360 has sold just under 63 million software units this year versus 46.8 million software units for the PS3.

very close if you ask me....even closer if you use an actual number rather than "just under 63 million software units"

this

Spankey said:
mrstickball said:
FJ-Warez said:
johnsobas said:

This...

Why does everything with PS3 fans turn into attach rates?  This thread isn't about attach rates, it's about sales.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Jo21 said:
Spankey said:
mrstickball said:
FJ-Warez said:
johnsobas said:

This...

this

yeah but everyone knows that 10 million 360's have RRoD'ed and been thrown in the garbage so...

360 attach rate = 63million software/11.7 million hardware = 5.3846

On Topic - Read Patchers comments on these latest articles, he explains why the discrenpencies.  http://www.blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2008/08/04/pachter-on-apparent-ps3-dominance-among-third-parties.aspx

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)