By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Analysis: PS3 selling more games than Xbox 360 with smaller install base

Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Wait. I thought all ps3s were bought for Blu-Ray??

That's only what the people who want you to think Blu-ray is a success are saying.  (Well and fanboys.)

I mean I know of at least one PS3 that wasn't bought at all for Blu-ray purposes.

Still... the numbers are fairly meaningless without further detail into the numbers, like costs, profits, and what games were released.

Best numbers to go buy are the ones on the charts, NPD, Media crate... and the random Europeon tracking agencies.

Maybe now.  Last year, people were claiming that the ps3 was only selling because it was a Blu-Ray player, and that nobody would buy any games for it as a result.

Around the Network
Pk9394 said:
oh god what kind of crap story this??? its almost like that dude didn't do his home work at all. Its nice to see some high number yield on the PS3 side but can he atleast be more analytical with a clearer show on the data? come on Show me the games have been released on each console during that quarter. if my memory is correct, those three company concentrated heavily releasing titles for the PS3 during that quarter.

I'll give you Konami, but what of Namco and EA?

the next argument will be : the PS brand , not that it's better than 360 in any aspect no ,, it's just a strong brand

In the US alone this year it is something like 70% (360) to 30% (PS3) per EDGE.

Oh, you almost got me. I have to say, the spin is truly beautiful. I aplaud you.

You picked the 360's strongest region and the PS3's weakest (marketshare-wise), and declared that the 360 is doing better there 'alone'. The word 'alone' is a well chosen one, as it suggests that the 360 must not only be doing just as well in the rest of the world, is must be doing even better.

Of course, this isn't the case.

makingmusic476 said: 

I'll give you Konami, but what of Namco and EA?

I don't know about Namco, but for EA:

"Two things are at work. First, the way deferred revenue works: EA recognizes revenue on Xbox 360 over six months following the sale, but does NOT do so for PS3. So sales of Xbox 360 games during the last two quarters (Battlefield: Bad Company and Army of Two) are rolling through till December, while sales of PS3 games are booked when sold. Second, some of EA's sales are skewed in Europe, where UEFA Euro 2008 and Battlefield probably sold a little better on PS3, and with Rock Band launching in Europe this year (also skewed PS3). Ubisoft was because of Haze, which was a PS3 exclusive.

I don't think a single quarter represents a trend. EA won't be that way when Madden shows up and when the deferral starts to lap itself." - Michael Pachter

The value of the an analysis depends on the knowledge of the analyst. In the case of the original link, the analyst knows squat. I know people like to badmouth Pachter, but he seems to know more about this situation than any of the posters here.

Around the Network
blackstar said:
the next argument will be : the PS brand , not that it's better than 360 in any aspect no ,, it's just a strong brand

That's been my argument since the beginning.  :P

I do think the ps3 is a better value than the 360 because of it's features, and that the machine's value wil only be increased further as Sony's first and second party studios keep pumping out kick ass games  (LBP just came out, Resistance 2 and MotorStorm 2 will be pretty good, Killzone 2 will freakin' own come February, and White Knight Chronicles should come stateside sometime around then as well, with InFamous following in May).

But all last year, and most of this year, the ps3 was only keeping pace with (and later surpassing) the 360 in sales because of brand.  Why people were spelling doom and gloom for a console coming off of the success of the ps1/2 last year was beyond me.  I mean, look what happened with the N64. It still managed to sell over 30 million consoles with no third party support whatsoever (like that mattered to a real gamer - <3 Nintendo), and in a market MUCH smaller than today's.

makingmusic476 said:
blackstar said:

That's been my argument since the beginning.  :P

I do think the ps3 is a better value than the 360 because of it's features, and that the machine's value wil only be increased further as Sony's first and second party studios keep pumping out kick ass games  (LBP just came out, Resistance 2 and MotorStorm 2 will be pretty good, Killzone 2 will freakin' own come February, and White Knight Chronicles should come stateside sometime around then as well, with InFamous following in May).

But all last year, and most of this year, the ps3 was only keeping pace with (and later surpassing) the 360 in sales because of brand.  Why people were spelling doom and gloom for a console coming off of the success of the ps1/2 last year was beyond me.  I mean, look what happened with the N64. It still managed to sell over 30 million consoles with no third party support whatsoever (like that mattered to a real gamer - <3 Nintendo), and in a market MUCH smaller than today's.

this, makingmusic i am your fan =P

Love it or hate it....Playstation Is Back!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
Love it or hate it....Playstation Is Back!

It didn't go anywhere!

lol...

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey