By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Analysis: PS3 selling more games than Xbox 360 with smaller install base

johnsobas said:
Spankey said:
mrstickball said:
FJ-Warez said:
johnsobas said:
the numbers we have don't back it up, 360 is constantly outselling PS3 WW. The only reason might be that companies are getting more revenue from europe than the US because the games are more expensive.(revenue does not equal profit).

This...

This.........Is...........Seconded!

VGC is at odds with the article by a long shot. According to VGC data, the X360 has sold just under 63 million software units this year versus 46.8 million software units for the PS3.

So someone is off by quite a bit. Take your pick.

An interesting fact using your numbers:

360 attach rate = 63million software/21.7 million hardware = 2.90322

PS3 attach rate = 46.8 million software/16.15 million hardware = 2.89783

very close if you ask me....even closer if you use an actual number rather than "just under 63 million software units"

Why does everything with PS3 fans turn into attach rates?  This thread isn't about attach rates, it's about sales.

The title of the thread says it's about games per install base. That means attach rate, which Ive shown shows the 360 higher (even if it is only by a fraction) so the analysis - according to the thread title - is wrong because the PS3 is catching, not beating the 360 overall. I'm not cherry picking, I'm taking a broad, general look at things. (/From Here to Eternity reference)

@gebx

lol only 10 million? surely you could have bumped the attach rate higher if you wanted. why pick a low arbitrary number?

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

The thread is about how 3rd parties had higher sales (key word here) on PS3 despite the userbase being bigger on 360, that has nothing to do with attach rates, it's about sales. This has been debunked here already, there is nothing more to see.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

yay for the PS3 ^^ also the PS3 outsold the 360 this week lol..... +.1% market share

johnsobas said:
The thread is about how 3rd parties had higher sales (key word here) on PS3 despite the userbase being bigger on 360, that has nothing to do with attach rates, it's about sales. This has been debunked here already, there is nothing more to see.

Please read the thread title once again, and look carefully:

PS3 selling more games than Xbox 360 with smaller install base

If Games sold per hardware install base are being compared, this refers to attach rate.

I can't help it if the thread title was misleading.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

gebx said:
Jo21 said:
Spankey said:
mrstickball said:
FJ-Warez said:
johnsobas said:
the numbers we have don't back it up, 360 is constantly outselling PS3 WW. The only reason might be that companies are getting more revenue from europe than the US because the games are more expensive.(revenue does not equal profit).

This...

VGC is at odds with the article by a long shot. According to VGC data, the X360 has sold just under 63 million software units this year versus 46.8 million software units for the PS3.

very close if you ask me....even closer if you use an actual number rather than "just under 63 million software units"

this

yeah but everyone knows that 10 million 360's have RRoD'ed and been thrown in the garbage so...

360 attach rate = 63million software/11.7 million hardware = 5.3846

On Topic - Read Patchers comments on these latest articles, he explains why the discrenpencies.  http://www.blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2008/08/04/pachter-on-apparent-ps3-dominance-among-third-parties.aspx

what a good spin!

its maths... find a way to compete against the argument, find better reliable software vs hardware sales.

the point was ps3 with smaller userbase have a very close attach rate of the  360, it he made a esplendid work doing so.

Around the Network

I own 27 ps3 games, 17wii games and only 9 x36o games. 360 doesn't have much that I want and ps3 software sells don't suprise me.

Jo21 said:
gebx said:
Jo21 said:
Spankey said:
mrstickball said:
FJ-Warez said:
johnsobas said:

This...

this

yeah but everyone knows that 10 million 360's have RRoD'ed and been thrown in the garbage so...

360 attach rate = 63million software/11.7 million hardware = 5.3846

On Topic - Read Patchers comments on these latest articles, he explains why the discrenpencies.  http://www.blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2008/08/04/pachter-on-apparent-ps3-dominance-among-third-parties.aspx

what a good spin!

its maths... find a way to compete against the argument, find better reliable software vs hardware sales.

the point was ps3 with smaller userbase have a very close attach rate of the  360, it he made a esplendid work doing so.

If 360 has a bigger userbase, the same attach rate and is outselling the PS3 there is no need to spin anything.  What matters is overall sales, anything else is only about future potential sales.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

There are obviously a number of ways this article can be interpreted. And though I do agree that they have used certain publishers and figures which support their claim and paint a more positive picture of the ps3 games sales, I nevertheless do think that is is beyond dispute that the ps3 is performing extremely well in games sales and especially for third parties.

It has now become self evident that the ps3 is a system that is being purchased by gamers that buy plenty of games and that it is a platform which is becoming more attractive for third party publishers.

This takes nothing away from the 360 which has performed extremely well in software sales, however it is good that the myth of the ps3 being just a glorified bluray player has been put to rest.

Branko2166 said:
There are obviously a number of ways this article can be interpreted. And though I do agree that they have used certain publishers and figures which support their claim and paint a more positive picture of the ps3 games sales, I nevertheless do think that is is beyond dispute that the ps3 is performing extremely well in games sales and especially for third parties.

It has now become self evident that the ps3 is a system that is being purchased by gamers that buy plenty of games and that it is a platform which is becoming more attractive for third party publishers.

This takes nothing away from the 360 which has performed extremely well in software sales, however it is good that the myth of the ps3 being just a glorified bluray player has been put to rest.

agreed!

now if i could only find the total software sales for the Wii - I'd love to see that attach rate...

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

johnsobas said:
Spankey said:
mrstickball said:
FJ-Warez said:
johnsobas said:

This...

Why does everything with PS3 fans turn into attach rates?  This thread isn't about attach rates, it's about sales.

This.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"