By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fallout 3 ,will you buy it?

double :(

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Pristine20 said:
I don't think Bethesda is really interested in ps3 sales...a skip for me.

You're skipping the game because its developers aren't PS3 fanboys?

Nice try Zen.

I'm skipping because I don't think I should be paying the same for less value. No DLC? what if I actually enjoyed the game and wanted more? I refuse to tolerate second class treatment and like a popular saying goes "put your money where your mouth is". I don't like the treatment of the ps3 version so I refuse to pay $60 for it...simple really

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Chemical said:
I will buy it only after I borrow (steal) it from my friend and see if I like it more than Oblivion. I would rather not give my money to Bethesda since they used that money to deny me fallout 3 made by interplay.

interplay didn't make the games they only published them, Black Isle made the games.

EPP said:
Well, Oblivion wasn't as bad as some people here may say. Of course, it lacked depth, story and characters and the combat was boring (oh god damnit, I hate those goblins. Especially as a highlevel character. They take so many hits!) .. but it entertained me for a pretty long time. Alright, probably just because of the user-made PlugIns.. they were awesome!

As much as I blast Bethesda, this is one aspect they really get right with their games. The mod abilities are fantastic, though completely useless if you own a console, which is how I'm gaming right now.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Pristine20 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Pristine20 said:

Nice try Zen.

I'm skipping because I don't think I should be paying the same for less value. No DLC? what if I actually enjoyed the game and wanted more? I refuse to tolerate second class treatment and like a popular saying goes "put your money where your mouth is". I don't like the treatment of the ps3 version so I refuse to pay $60 for it...simple really

still a stupid reason to miss out a game

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
SleepWaking said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
mtofu said:
whew... i was considering buying this but if it's like oblivion then i'm out.

i read above that it could be played in a mode other than first person... how do you do this? i might try it again if it's possible.

I know you'll probably do this anyway, but I would suggest reading a few reviews once the game comes out, rather than making your decision based on folks assumptions about the game.

it really is like oblivion, though it has some issues taken care off.

Obviously the game is somewhat like Oblivion. It could be a mod of Oblivion.

However, Oblivion's main flaw didn't lie in its engine(and its general flaws, for the record, are heavily overemphasized in this thread) but its lack of immersion.

I don't think that people here realize why they didn't like Oblivion. Listing off bullet point flaws is appliable to every game. However, we love some games that have the largest list of flaws. The reason we love them varies wildly, but a major part of enjoying any game is immersion.

Immersion is being able to look at a game, and not see a pile of flaws that resemble a game, but instead an experience in and of itself. Oblivion has a number of elements that never allow you to be immersed in the experience, a large amount of them stemming from the nature of an open world mmo type experience, granted.

Fixing the flaws that RocketPig mentioned, would not fix Oblivion. A redesigning of the gameflow and narrative would have. Then, the flaws would just be a list of complaints about the game you loved, instead of a list of complaints about the game you hated.

The crux is, Oblivion is the least immersive game from Bethesda. From a technical perspective, it's still a rather large, and lovingly crafted fantasty world, hence the great reviews, but other than that, the game lacks that emotional attachment to the NPCs and the PC that can bring a game like this to life.

Fallout 3 has a major advantage going in, in that a post-apocolyptic world with guns is a much easier environment to immerse a player in, than a midievil fantasy setting they've seen a thousand times, in a thousand games.

If this game is half Oblivion, and half-Fallout, and it happens to be the good half of either one of those series', it's going to be very, very good.

That's just my 6 pence.

Would like to note that on most of my negative bullet points for the game, I put (it takes away immersion).  The worst of them would have to be the difficulty adjustment system.  I feel immersed most of the time until I encounter something in the system that makes me feel "this is not right". Also, in an RPG, I usually have a feeling of what places are dangerous to go to and what places are not.  Having somewhere that you are not strong enough to go adds some incentive to become more powerful.  In Oblivion, there is not benefit to leveling up.  It's just meh, lvl up.  In fact, you wish you didn't have to lvl up because you know you will start facing harder enemies for no other reason.  I could go on forever on how broken this difficulty system is.

Pristine20 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Pristine20 said:

Nice try Zen.

That's Sony and/or Microsoft's fault, not Bethesdas. Sony refuses to support 3rd parties, and MS wants to make their console the premier home for multiplats, with cash.

It's like not supporting them because they earned money.

You reall can't blame Bethesda for that.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
SleepWaking said:

Well than when my review is posted you will have some good news :)

lol, btw, I know it kinda read poorly, because I screwed up a line, when I said "fixing the flaws RP mentioned would fix oblivion" I meant that "fixing those flaws would NOT fix Oblivion" because the problem was with the immersion aspect, and the flaws were relatively acceptable.

Also, I can't wait for the review.

Exactly. There are complaints, which I have with almost every game - even games I really enjoyed like Mass Effect so "perfection" is not necessary for me to enjoy something - but there's a big difference between "complaints" and "design choices that destroy any kind of cohesive experience", which Oblivion was chock full of.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Pristine20 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Pristine20 said:

Nice try Zen.

Of course it doesn't have DLC, it's not a PC game.  Oh, wait...I forgot that consoles are trying to be PCs now.

SleepWaking said:
Pristine20 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Pristine20 said:

Nice try Zen.

still a stupid reason to miss out a game

Decide for yourself what is "stupid". I live by my rules not yours thanks.

What good would it do if I complained about unfair treatment and got the game anyway? Answer: Bethesda would only repeat the same thing again. But if their ps3 version's sales sunk to abysmal levels....

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler