By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fallout 3 ,will you buy it?

rocketpig said:

Zen, you're an idiot with a shitty avatar who knows nothing about videogames. That better?

I understand your point about Bethesda and Fallout... And I will end up trying the game sooner or later. But you have to understand how bitter some of us are at how the franchise has been essentially disemboweled and watered down for public consumption.

This was my reaction when I knew the lamer kid taylored simplifications they did in Deus Ex sequel.

But this time the issue is less painful for me, luckily it shouldn't be a dumbed, lobotomized, watered down Fallout, but just a different game they put a Fallout name on for marketing. It's not very honest, but if the game is good, I can try to play it pretending (or better, realizing) it doesn't really belong to the Fallout series.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

To expand on what Rocketpig said:

PC gamers are pissed about seeing their favorite franchises dumbed down and mainstreamed up for the console kids. We wanted Fallout 3, not Elder Scrolls V: Dystopia.

Surely whether you enjoy the game or not, you can understand the disappointment from fans of the franchise looking for a true sequel and not getting it.

naznatips said:

PC gamers are pissed about seeing their favorite franchises dumbed down and mainstreamed up for the console kids. We wanted Fallout 3, not Elder Scrolls V: Dystopia.

Woot.. diss to the max.

I'm giving the game a chance. A mate of mine is a big FallOut-Fan and wasn't disappointed in the game so far (not saying that he didn't encouter glitches or other shitty stuff, but atmosphere, dialog, etc. seemed to fit so far). I'll probably get my hands on it tomorrow (uncut, woopedo), so I'll check myself. It took me several hours until I realized that Oblivion could not satisfy my RPG-gamer needs, so I hope this 'Elder Scrolls in disguise' can at least hide it's weaknesses a little longer.

naznatips said:
To expand on what Rocketpig said:

Surely whether you enjoy the game or not, you can understand the disappointment from fans of the franchise looking for a true sequel and not getting it.

Awhile ago I went back and played SS2... Bioshock has amazing art direction, but SS2 is a better game.

Consoles really are dumbing down old franchises and developers. Sad.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

the game is soooo hard very challenging!!!

Around the Network

I'm not exactly "emotionally conected" to Fallout, but I had my doubts about the game, but I'm liking it, technical problems and FPS mode aside :P VATS is really cool and the setting alone could help any game, but the "3" in the name doesn't help it.

also, the game clearly screams PORT all over the place, ranging from console like hotkeys to the number of buttons that oh so nicely fits the X360 controller (which is enabled by default if you own it, and every button reference is made with the X360 controller in mind).

keep in mind I have not played Oblivion, so I'm not the one who will say "Oblivion with guns". I'm not that far into the game (right now I'm doing the Lucy West sidequest), and I'm in no position to give a final opinion, but I think they kept a lot of cool stuff from Fallout 2, like getting every item you find, the raider's weapons/armors, caravans, etc.

and the sidequests are good, much like Fallout 2 ones, unlike a certain sci-fi "RPG".

but I'm still searching for the option to trade with every person I find..

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

I'm about 6 hours in. I've played it almost non-stop since I rented it last night.

The game *is* Oblivion with guns, for the most part. The melee combat, from what I've seen, is very Oblivion-esque. Of course, the gunplay is a different story.

Overall, it took everything Oblivion was/is, put it in the Fallout universe, and made the core gameplay (from Oblivion) a lot better due to the implementation of XP, Perks, VATS, and of course the writing.

The writing is far more Mass Effect-esque with more consequences than typical games that I'm used to.

A good example early on in the game (spoliers) :

The first *big* decision comes when you go to Megaton. There are about 5 different quests swirling around, each with different choices.

One of which involves interaction concerning the still-active nuke in the middle of town. Most knew about this quest: Goodie twoshoes will disarm the bomb for Lucas, or utilize the evil path of detonating the nuke for Mister Burke, and wiping the entire town off the map.

You also have the ultra-goodie path of informing Lucas that Burke wants to detonate the nuke. Lucas thanks you and asks you to come along for some 'Wasteland Justice' - In which, the end result is that Burke shoots Lucas in the back when he's leading him off to jail. That was a total shock for a good-karma related quest, since the hero dies a pretty brutal death. Of course, you do get a very nice assault rifle out of the deal from Lucas' body, so it's all good.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Oh, and I should say that their take on Oblivion's "alchemy" system is absolutely awesome:

Pilot Light + Motorcycle Gas Tank + Lighter Fluid + Tubing = Custom Flamethrower

Many of the cooler weapons are built like that, by finding various useless items, and obtaining the design schematics. Still saving up for the rock-it launcher (1.1k in cash)

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Alright, 24 hours in, and this is no Fallout, but it is a LOT better than Oblivion. There have been some genuinely awesome parts, and a few parts that bog down for like 1 hour tops. I'll give a sample of one of the good parts:

SPOILERS SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

When you go to find your dad in another vault, he has gone there to ask a scientist to help him with his project through finding a GECK. When you get there you are instructed into a Tranquility Lounge. As soon as you get in there you are transported to a nice little town, imagine the Matrix, except that people don't always die physically when they die in the simulation.
The bad way is to listen to the doctor your father went to see,, going from making children cry to forcing a couple to divorce to killing an old woman to becoming Jason and slaughtering everyone with a hockey mask and a knife. The good path would be to use the failsafe on the program and you end up killing all the people anyways, but for different reasons. I enjoyed this part a lot.

END OF SPOILERS

I'm no fan of Oblivion at all, I hated the game, but somehow I've spent 24 hours of my life playing FO3, so I guess it's different enough for me to play that much.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

I wait to see test.
Im bot sure, 50%
I will buy Resistance 2, tomb raider and Prince of percia first.

Final Fantasy huge... watch my collection

Oh... Final Fantasy huge only on SONY system !