By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If Xbox could run Doom3 & HL2 is it impossible Wii could run 360/PS3 games?

Kwaad said:
Crono said:

That right there proves you have no idea what you're talking about, and that I can safely ignore everything else you said. The PS2 might have been 75% of a gamecube, and the Wii is easily twice a gamecube, making PS2 37.5% of a Wii.

The power gap is greater than you realize. This will become evident in the coming months. Shovelware never pushes the hardware boundaries.

Yes. So the PS2 is ~37.5% of a Wii, while the PS3 is 16x faster than the PS2, so that makes the the Wii 25% the speed of a PS3, so the Wii is closer to the PS2. Thank you for your criticisim. You showed me, that I didnt explain it well enough.

EDIT: If I translate your numbers, into my logic, I'm still right for what I say, and that means I have a better idea of what I'm saying than you, it would probibally be in your best intrest to not ignore me! 

The PS2 might be closer to the Wii than the Wii is the PS3, but as you've illustrated (25% vs 37%) it isn't by much.  All I was saying is the gap in hardware power between PS2 and Wii is similar to the gap in power between Wii and PS3.

This logic also firmly places wii into the next hardware generation, much to the chagrin of all the "wii isn't next gen" naysayers.

It also backs up my theory that the PS3 and the Xbox 360 actually belong either in arcades or in the 8th gen of hardware.  They have way too much power way too soon and far to high a cost.

Witty signature here...

Wii: 14 million by January  I sold myself short

360: 13 million by January I sold microsoft short, but not as bad as Nintendo.

PS3: 6 million by January. If it approaches 8 mil i'll eat crow  Mnn Crow is yummy.

With these results, I've determined that I suck at long term predictions, and will not long term predict anything ever again. Thus spaketh Crono.

Around the Network

I'd guess that Gears would look like crap on the Wii because MS pretty much choose the 512 RAM for the 360 when Bungie Epic showed them a comparison of the graphics when using 256 versus 512.

Fixed.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

ceres said:
I'd guess that Gears would look like crap on the Wii because MS pretty much choose the 512 RAM for the 360 when Bungie showed them a comparison of the graphics when using 256 versus 512.

Gears was developed by epic not bungie...and the xbox's 88mb ram made halo 2 look almost as good as halo 3 using 512 mb ram.

mM

PC specs are over rated. Most of them are like that cause of the OS.

A console is optimised for games only so its natural that smaller specs can run stuff.

I agreee it could run some of the earlier X360/PS3 games at 480p. Possible 80% of stuff that come out now.

However Gears of war and the new big guns coming No change in hell unless they dumbed it down.

From memory wasn't Ubisoft woking with some other developer in dumbing down the unreal 3 engine for the wi? If they nail that games will significantly improve on wii. However won't have all the real advanced lighting etc..

leo-j said:
ceres said:
I'd guess that Gears would look like crap on the Wii because MS pretty much choose the 512 RAM for the 360 when Bungie showed them a comparison of the graphics when using 256 versus 512.

Gears was developed by epic not bungie...and the xbox's 88mb ram made halo 2 look almost as good as halo 3 using 512 mb ram.

Yeah, I realized I put the wrong company just now.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154633

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Around the Network

Mmmh Kwaad, you can't stand Morrowind graphics anymore, but can stand cel-shaded ones like Okami?
So Cel-shaded is more future-proof, right?
The Wii being far more powerful than the PS2, which had epic, worlds created in games, and the Wii having traditional gameplay too, then the Wii has everything you need, so what is this nonsense about it having so little of all that?

A lot of the HD consoles power is lost in actually delivering the HD content. The Wii delivers ED content, so it needs 4 times less graphical power to deliver the same content in ED resolutions.
Given that, the Wii is perfectly able to deliver games made on the PS3/XB360, as long as they're not tailored to these hardware, and there will be some quality loss.

Actually, the biggest problems the publishers have, is that their games are mostly the same that on previous gen, only with better graphics. So, if they'd release watered down versions for the Wii, it would be too obvious, and their ego won't stand it.

IMO any console can have amazing graphics. As good graphics doesn't just come from pushing polygons and light effects, it also comes from having a great art direction - and any console can have great art.

btw - Ceres, wasn't it Epic that showed MS what they could do with the difference between 256mb of RAM and 512mb of RAM

I love Nintendo but I stay realistic about it... It could run games from other consoles... with downgraded graphics.

Cobretti said:
PC specs are over rated. Most of them are like that cause of the OS.

A console is optimised for games only so its natural that smaller specs can run stuff.

I agreee it could run some of the earlier X360/PS3 games at 480p. Possible 80% of stuff that come out now.

However Gears of war and the new big guns coming No change in hell unless they dumbed it down.

From memory wasn't Ubisoft woking with some other developer in dumbing down the unreal 3 engine for the wi? If they nail that games will significantly improve on wii. However won't have all the real advanced lighting etc..

First off, Happy Squirrel, Thanks for trolling me some more. I like it. I also reported it.

UE2.5 is best for the Wii. UE3 is too power demanding, and actually wouldnt run as well as UE2.5. In terms of what can be displayed, UE2.5 is already more than the Wii can do. 

ookaze - A game that simulates realism, should look real. Morrowind looked... meh. Oblivion, looked real.

Okami looked amazing, it's like a peice of art, flowing liquid art. Great art, almost always looks great! (The main spire in oblivion is a good example, it would look amazing on a 240x180 cell phone screen)

The Wii will be capable of amazing games in it's life. But so far, I have seen nothing announced that truely makes me want to buy it.

Does it take 4x the power to render a HD image. I wouldnt go as far as to say that, becuase in a game like LAIR, I wouldnt even want to know how much power it takes to calculate what the armies are doing. I wouldnt even DREAM of the computations the power the lighting uses on KillZone2. Those do not scale in terms of power use. The shadows on Killzone2 seem to be calculated at a SD resolution anyway, to save on the massive power use.  Those are things that cant be dont on the Wii, due to power restrictions.

And I agree, graphics on the Wii look like crap today, becuase of a lack of effort. I really have accepted the Wii for where it is graphically. Gamecube x2. It dont really bother me anymore that the first computer I built 5 years ago was faster, and could play better looking games.

What bothers me today, there are now 2 things that remain that bother me, and neither of them will be resolved by... 'accepting'. I'm not gonna go into those in here. They are both physical, and restricting problems. One can be resolved by not being used in games tho.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Probably almost all 360/PS3 games could be ported to the Wii if the graphics were scaled down. The only problem might be a few games with relatively large numbers of characters on the screen and/or complex physics and/or complex AI.