By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If Xbox could run Doom3 & HL2 is it impossible Wii could run 360/PS3 games?

PC specs are overrated .Usually a console with the same specs is way faster and more efficient .

But here you are comparing consoles against consoles .
Even Resistance ,one of the first PS3 games ,would be virtually impossible to do on the Wii .Too big levels ,too many charachters on screen at once ,32 player multiplayer ,very big game .....the same for Gears of War .If these first (maybe second Gears ) generation games are already impossible to do for the Wii we cant pretend it could do something like Final Fantasy XIII Versus ,Heavey Rain ,Alan Wake ,Splinter Cell Conviction ,Heavenly Sword ,Infamous ,Lair ,Mass Effect ,Uncharted ,Unreal 3 ,Battlefield Bad Company ,Army of Two .....and even those will only be second generation games for those plattforms .

Around the Network

@ HappySqurriel

One can say the PS2 is more powerful at certain things and the Nintendo Wii is more powerful at others. For example the PS2 allows for a higher Pixel Fillrate than the Wii (2,350 Megapixels/Second for the PS2 and 942 Megapixels/Second for the Wii) and the PS2 allows for a higher Textured Fillrate (1,176 Megatexels/Second for the PS2 and 942 Megatexels/Second for the Wii).

An interesting question would be "If this is so why do some multiplatform GameCube games run better than the PS2 version?". IMO the answer to this question is simply due to the game engine.

For example the best multiplatform AtariST/Amiga games were mostly technically far less impressive than the best Amiga-only games. This was often due to developers needing to take notice of the Atari ST weakpoints while
creating their game engine, with Amiga -only games this wasn't needed and developers could fully tap into the Amiga's potential. To make matters
more complex the AtariST did have a slightly higher clocked CPU by default and therefore some early games not
using custom chip advantages at all even ran slightly better on the Atari ST.

It's hard to objectively determine which platform of the last generation was the most powerful. For this
generation it's much easier, the gap between the Nintendo Wii and PS3/XBox 360 is huge. IMO there's clearly a significant gap between the PS3 and XBox 360 as well, in favour
of the PS3. I could go into great depths why the PS3 is significantly higher specced, but I will leave this for another thread. 

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA 360 and PS3 games on the Wii... OH SORRY YOU ARE SERIOUS!!!!!!

Kwaad said:
Cobretti said:
PC specs are over rated. Most of them are like that cause of the OS.

A console is optimised for games only so its natural that smaller specs can run stuff.

I agreee it could run some of the earlier X360/PS3 games at 480p. Possible 80% of stuff that come out now.

However Gears of war and the new big guns coming No change in hell unless they dumbed it down.

From memory wasn't Ubisoft woking with some other developer in dumbing down the unreal 3 engine for the wi? If they nail that games will significantly improve on wii. However won't have all the real advanced lighting etc..

First off, Happy Squirrel, Thanks for trolling me some more. I like it. I also reported it.

UE2.5 is best for the Wii. UE3 is too power demanding, and actually wouldnt run as well as UE2.5. In terms of what can be displayed, UE2.5 is already more than the Wii can do. 

ookaze - A game that simulates realism, should look real. Morrowind looked... meh. Oblivion, looked real.

Okami looked amazing, it's like a peice of art, flowing liquid art. Great art, almost always looks great! (The main spire in oblivion is a good example, it would look amazing on a 240x180 cell phone screen)

The Wii will be capable of amazing games in it's life. But so far, I have seen nothing announced that truely makes me want to buy it.

Does it take 4x the power to render a HD image. I wouldnt go as far as to say that, becuase in a game like LAIR, I wouldnt even want to know how much power it takes to calculate what the armies are doing. I wouldnt even DREAM of the computations the power the lighting uses on KillZone2. Those do not scale in terms of power use. The shadows on Killzone2 seem to be calculated at a SD resolution anyway, to save on the massive power use.  Those are things that cant be dont on the Wii, due to power restrictions.

And I agree, graphics on the Wii look like crap today, becuase of a lack of effort. I really have accepted the Wii for where it is graphically. Gamecube x2. It dont really bother me anymore that the first computer I built 5 years ago was faster, and could play better looking games.

What bothers me today, there are now 2 things that remain that bother me, and neither of them will be resolved by... 'accepting'. I'm not gonna go into those in here. They are both physical, and restricting problems. One can be resolved by not being used in games tho.

Thanks for clearing up the UE3 engine thing.  I myself too don't mind the UE2.5. Its a shame that developers are making PS2 looking games and ports and not putting in effort... You would expect the games to look better.  Hopefully when all this porting phase is over we shall see something reasonable.

Don't take this personal but i think lair atm is over rated. Visually it looks amazing I agree but what they shown so far of game play isn't much. I hope i'm prooven wrong cause it does look like the visuals it already has and if it has a awesome gameplay system would really make it a immersive experience, especially on my HD tv.

Basically what i'm saying is I don't flow with the crowd anymore with hyped up games. When Quake 4 was announced I was so excited. It did deliver visually. However gameplay wasn't really anything new or that creative. I still enjoy the original unreal tournament and tribes more then I did quake.

For me i think MGS4 is were it will wow me graphically and in gameplay. 

javierdacosta said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA 360 and PS3 games on the Wii... OH SORRY YOU ARE SERIOUS!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Rockstar's Table Tennis on the Wii. Oh Sorry, did you forget about that?

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
88 megs of RAM? Developers are complaining about only having 256 on the PS3 and the 360...

The 360 actually has 512 MB RAM.

It could be done, but with the amount of work that they'd need to do to make it work they almost might as well make an entirely new game and then tout it as a Wii exclusive.

None of which matters if the devs never take the Wii (and its userbase) seriously and put some substantial games on it.

DKII said:
It could be done, but with the amount of work that they'd need to do to make it work they almost might as well make an entirely new game and then tout it as a Wii exclusive.

None of which matters if the devs never take the Wii (and its userbase) seriously and put some substantial games on it.

I can agree with that. I'm not saying making a watered down game is impossible, but something along the lines of a low end PC and a high end PC with Oblivion is kind of what I view it (even all settings on low vs settings on high HL2 is an interesting comparison). Personally, I'd rather see a game made for the Wii instead of trying to get watered down left overs of PS3/360 games. 

Diomedes1976 said:
PC specs are overrated .Usually a console with the same specs is way faster and more efficient .

But here you are comparing consoles against consoles .
Even Resistance ,one of the first PS3 games ,would be virtually impossible to do on the Wii .Too big levels ,too many charachters on screen at once ,32 player multiplayer ,very big game .....the same for Gears of War .If these first (maybe second Gears ) generation games are already impossible to do for the Wii we cant pretend it could do something like Final Fantasy XIII Versus ,Heavey Rain ,Alan Wake ,Splinter Cell Conviction ,Heavenly Sword ,Infamous ,Lair ,Mass Effect ,Uncharted ,Unreal 3 ,Battlefield Bad Company ,Army of Two .....and even those will only be second generation games for those plattforms .

well yer i agree the comaprison is console versus console. Sorry I wasn't more clear. What I was trying to say is Games that were on PC could easily run on xbox cause of the way the consoles are designed. I never ment for it to sound then in theory PS3 and xbox360 games will work on wii.

But i still stand that some older games that were below xbox360/ps3 standard could run on wii.  To add to your 32multiplayer comment. EA is doing the new medal of honor on wii with 32multiplayer. So this will show what it's capable off.  By that I mean will they sacrifice alot fo quailty visually that was in the medal of honour game currently out (not that it was spectacular). However if it looks worst cause they needed to be able to render with a possible 32 characters on a screen then it will be a let down.

You can't compare PC specs with console specs. PC games, in comparison, are poorly optimized (due to the diversity of hardware) and they have this rather large thing called an "operating system" running in the background that has a tendency to eat up resources left and right.

Consoles, on the other hand, are a frozen format where everyone has identical hardware and it has a bare-bones OS running in the background. Developers, as they learn the systems, are able to eek out every ounce of power the system offers instead of having to program for a broad variety of hardware that people may or may not be running in their PCs.

We're really talking apples and oranges here. Other than the fact that they both can play video games, there isn't a lot in common. One is a purpose-built machine while the other is designed to run a wide variety of tasks. It's kinda like wondering why the iPhone can't display games as well as the DS even though the iPhone processor clocks faster.

I'm not even going to touch on the differences between RISC and CISC, RAM speed, and other things. I think I made my point.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/