By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Bioshock PS3 a bust?

Everstar said:
gnawkz said:
Everstar said:
http://www.vgchartz.com/eweekly.php?page=1&date=39747&console=&maker=

18,770 this week making it 50k overall in others thats a bust if you ask me they should of never ported it?

No BioShock definitely needed to be ported ... even if NOT A SINGLE COPY SOLD ... the game had to be ported.  This sets the foundation for BioShock 2.

I would be shocked, if the engine for PS3 BioShock is not improved and redeployed for BioShock 2.  This cuts development costs for BioShock 2 and helps test out the engine in the real market before it gets reused for the Sequel.

Selling 500K copies in its lifetime and adding more brand power would make it a successful launch.

if not very many people buy one then why would they buy 2?

Good point ... but too many variables here.  This is one of the few games where it sold extremely well on XBox 360 and did not sell at all on PS3.  But the 1 year time difference makes it difficult to conclude that PS3 users were uninterested because it was:

1.  Released too late, and the fanbase has moved on from the game or played it on another platform (the most likely)

OR

2.  PS3 owners just dont like BioShock

But from a business perspective, releasing BioShock now ensures the franchises stays in the mind of people (and there is a fresh new copy on the shelves).  Therefore the value of the brand doesnt decline but rather stays flat or goes up slowly until the next iteration.

Also, from my limited knowledge of accounting, it has to do with recognizing costs.  By releasing BioShock PS3 now, Take 2 is allowed to recognize certain costs during this year.  If BioShock PS3 was never released certain development costs for BioShock 2 could only be recognized next year.  If this is the case, then Take 2 would want to pile on as much costs as possible now instead of their next fiscal year.  I might be wrong on this ...

Around the Network

It's becasue

a: Price

b: 1 yeas later

c: R2 , LBP , M2

Well i hope it wont sell well at all..so 2K will learn the lesson for screwing xbox fans by porting our exclusive to that over hyped whatever its called.

I am a proud GRAPHICS WHORE.

Why do so many of you think a game is not worth full price because "its a year old game"? Bioshock is one of the best FPS out there, has a great story, unique weapons system and so much more, but because "its an old game" it has to be discounted for you to take notice and play it????

Uncharted is a year old game, its still $60 at retail. Is it not worth picking up since its an "old game"? Still plays the same when it first came out.

And what about all the new games coming out now? Im sure most of you think Fallout 3, LBP, Mirrors Edge and many others will be well worth your $60+ dollars when they arrive in stores on day one, so regardless of when you buy it, the game is still something thats worth paying full price for.

Software is not like used car sales where they depreciate as soon as its driven off the lot; *if the game is fun to play, breaks boundaries and opens the door for possibly a new genre to blossom, why would you not buy it in the first place?