By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Bioshock PS3 a bust?

KylieDog said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
KylieDog said:
You listen to review sites? Oh dear.

...and it was 360 exclusive originally

http://gamer.blorge.com/2007/08/25/ps3-not-getting-bioshock-to-stay-xbox-360-and-pc-exclusive/

A game on the PC and Xbox 360 is not Xbox 360 exclusive.....

L4D is not an Xbox 360 exclusive...

As for whom I listen to, I listen to myself. I was just letting you know that no one agrees with you, and I doubt you've ever played the game.

Oh don't try that PC nosense.   It is the CONSOLE war, PC doesn't even come into it.  The game as far as console go was 360 exclusive, and 360 fanboys warshipped it and used it in every fanboy argument right up until May when the PS3 version was cofirmed, and suddenly they fell silent.

It is another overated overhyped exclusive that now its gone multiplat is showing its true colours.

Also, WOOT, Left 4 Dead is an Xbox 360 exclusive!!!!!

Also, LBP is another over rated overhyped exclusive!!!

Either that, or you're ignorant of generally accepted truths, Mr. Kylie.

Your Bioshock argument is ignorant and insulting to PC owners, and people who have actually played the game. Your assertion that the review system is so corrupt that a game with 96 percent average must be over-rated(not just over-rated, but actually that Bioshock is a bad game, period) simply because it is an exclusive, is also one of the more far out, ignorant, and crazy conspiracy theories I've ever heard. Want to explain yourself?

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
XGamer0611 said:
The reason its sales are low is because 2K is being greedy. Every other game that has been ported to the PS3 has had a lower price point. $59.99 for a game that you can get on the 360 for $39.99 is a tough sell for someone coming in to buy a game. Especially, if they own both PS3 and 360 and never played Bioshock before. For the PS3 only owner they feel their money is better spent on other games out. Especially, with this month and November having big guns being released.

This post says it all, why won't the bickering stop?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

survival mode just isn't enough to warrant a $60 price tag of a year old port. It would have sold better if it were cheaper, had less competition, or had some kind of extra story bonus content thrown in.

KylieDog, you must forgive me. I usually am not taken aback. It's just that your post was filled with a large number of ignorant, and also surprisingly inept assumptions that simply aren't, nor could possibly ever be true. I will lay them out for you now:

1. PC/360 games are exclusive Xbox 360 games - Not only was this assumption contradictory, but it is also generally accepted as spin. If you mean to say the PC doesn't count as a gaming device, then you're simply wrong.

2. Exclusive games are always over-rated - This is easily disprovable. Look at Lair, or Haze. Those games are possibly even under-rated, yet they remain exclusives. Too Human is another good example. According to you, Fable 2, LPB, Uncharted, MGS4, and Gears of War are all over-rated, because they are exclusive games, and reviewers, knowing this, over-rated the games, and users, knowing this, overhyped the games. The latter holds a ring of truth, the former is absurd. Too bad this wasn't your only ignorant assumption, or you would be fine.

3. Game reviews mean nothing whatsoever - This is probably your only assumption that you could find anyone to agree with you on. I do agree that review numbers mean very little. Radiant Dawn is one of my favorite games this gen, in fact. Yet, reviews obviously do mean something. They keep people, like myself, from buying games that are rated very low, and peak my interest in games that are rated very high. They are also the only quantifiable way we have of determining a games quality.

4. Bioshock is a bad game - This, of course is an unprovable opinion, but it becomes an assumption, if you've never actually played the game: While most critics agree that this game is a masterpiece, a few users have claimed that it is a tad over-rated. None have ever said it was "bad" as far as I recall. You've implied this, harshly. Again, you've never said you've actually played it, and I contend that you haven't. My reasoning is that no one who is able to create a VGChartz account is ignorant enough to play through Bioshock completely and claim that it is completely bad. You will either concede that it is not, or I have no choice but to maintain that it is a faulty assumption.

5. Bioshock is an Xbox 360 exclusive - Again, Bioshock is not, nor has ever been an Xbox 360 exclusive. It is also on the PC, and always has been. The PC is a very competitive gaming medium, and even if you did consider this a 360 exclusive, reviewers, and everyone else on this forum, does not, effectively disproving your "Bioshock was over-rated because it was an exclusive" argument. This is even more true when you realize that the PC version has its own review score on gamerankings and metacritic, also averaging a 96/100.

6. Left 4 Dead is an Xbox 360 exclusive game - Well, the games lead development platform is the PC. The Xbox 360 version is a port. The last time I checked, the PC was a competitor for people deciding on which platform to purchase the game, and it'll also potentially sell more on the PC via untrackable DLC, taking sales away from the Xbox 360. This game is more of a PC exclusive game than an Xbox 360 exclusive game, if anything. In truth, it's a multiplat. This also contradicts your measuring stick of sales as the only way to determine quality, since the game will sell well, but you would only count the sales on one platform. You would also claim that this game will defaultly be over-rated and over-hyped, because it appears on the Xbox 360, and not the Playstation 3, which is actually probably very insulting to PC owners as well as 360 owners looking forward to this game.

7. A games quality is always determined by sales - You've said more than once that Bioshock is showing "its true colors." Since you are obviously speaking of the game's quality being sub-par, and since the reviews have all been ravingly positive, I assume you're speaking about its sales on the PS3 showing the true color of the game, as being bad. By inference, you believe that bad sales equal a bad game. I would disagree. Okami, Beyond Good and Evil, and Zack and Wiki would also agree, amongst others. According to you, Wii-Sports is the best game of all time. In saying this, you also disagree with everyone on this post, who say the game is selling poorly becasue of time-frame and price, and instead you blame the games quality, which is ignorant.

8. Everything we're discussing is related to Console Wars, and thus PC is an irrelivant medium - That would be an acceptable(though questionable) argument, except it asserts that not just us, but potential purchasers, and reviewers also view all games in the light of "console wars" and the PC is always irrelivant. We're discussing gaming on this forum, not "console wars." You assert that reviewers consciously rate exclusive games differently, with the intent of inciting console wars, since you extend your argument to every facet of the game, including reviews. If you are simply referring to this topic, however, it is sales and gaming related, and we look down upon console wars, and fanboys on this forum, and we respect the PC as a powerful gaming medium.

Now, KylieDog, I hope you have seen how ignorant your assumptions are, and how none of your arguments hold any water. If not, I would be glad to explain further why you don't know what you're talking about.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

KylieDog said:

Left 4 Dead is a timed exclusive, they have announced a PS3 version is in the works before the game is even released.   This isn't the same as Bioshock, as the link I provided proves that they made it clear Bioshock was a 360 exclusive and definately not coming to PS3.  This is why the game got so hyped, its exclusive, so fanboys hype it up and try get one better than PS3 owners.  PS3 owners do the same the 360 owners.  Swings and roundabouts.

Only in May the PS3 version was announced, long long after the game was released.  Your Left 4 Dead example is completely hollow.

Unlike you, my knowledge of the review system is from first hand experience.  I know just how broken, pressured and lost of its true purpose the system is because I've seen what goes on 'behind the scenes' through working there.   To be honest though anyone who isn't a blind fanboy of a game or system should be able to look at the system from the outside and see how broken it is anyway.

I've outlined my feelings on the subject. Do me a favor and don't play the "I'm a gaming insider" card.

Also, you've now changed your argument to allow for a negative to the 360's library, which is "L4D" is just at timed exclusive, leading me to believe you are a PS3 fan...I also see your PSN ID on your profile. I believe you don't own a gaming PC or an Xbox 360, and have never played Bioshock. Do you deny it?

Finally, no, L4D isn't a timed exclusive, it's on PC and Xbox 360.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

Better options out there.

Why play Bioshock when you can play LBP.

Bioshock wasn't expected to burn any sales records. It will sell well I'm sure. I'm actually thinking about getting it, and I have already beaten it on the PC. Used at gamestop is where I will get it and I figure Ill only pay 20 buck or so. I just want to see it on my big screen. Great game and a welcome addition the PS3 lineup no matter what it sells.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
KylieDog said:

Left 4 Dead is a timed exclusive, they have announced a PS3 version is in the works before the game is even released.   This isn't the same as Bioshock, as the link I provided proves that they made it clear Bioshock was a 360 exclusive and definately not coming to PS3.  This is why the game got so hyped, its exclusive, so fanboys hype it up and try get one better than PS3 owners.  PS3 owners do the same the 360 owners.  Swings and roundabouts.

Only in May the PS3 version was announced, long long after the game was released.  Your Left 4 Dead example is completely hollow.

Unlike you, my knowledge of the review system is from first hand experience.  I know just how broken, pressured and lost of its true purpose the system is because I've seen what goes on 'behind the scenes' through working there.   To be honest though anyone who isn't a blind fanboy of a game or system should be able to look at the system from the outside and see how broken it is anyway.

I've outlined my feelings on the subject. Do me a favor and don't play the "I'm a gaming insider" card.

Also, you've now changed your argument to allow for a negative to the 360's library, which is "L4D" is just at timed exclusive, leading me to believe you are a PS3 fan...I also see your PSN ID on your profile. I believe you don't own a gaming PC or an Xbox 360, and have never played Bioshock. Do you deny it?

Finally, no, L4D isn't a timed exclusive, it's on PC and Xbox 360.

Spinning the 360 101

Game exclusive to the 360 console - Exclusive
Game on PC and 360 - Console Exclusive
Game on 360 and Wii - HD Exclusive
Game on 360, PC and Wii- HD Console Exclusive
Game on 360, PS2, PC, Wii, DS, PSP - Next Gen HD Console Exclusive

I can admit to using three of those... (I was rather proud of using HD Console Exclusive.. lol!)

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

On Topic (more so then my previous post)

THE THIRD BEST RANKED GAME opened with 31k in sales?? That sends a clear message to any developer - Don't port old games to the 360, you'll just lose money.

How do you think 2K will feel losing money on this?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said:
On Topic (more so then my previous post)

THE THIRD BEST RANKED GAME opened with 31k in sales?? That sends a clear message to any developer - Don't port old games to the 360, you'll just lose money.

How do you think 2K will feel losing money on this?

You meant "Don't port old games to the PS3, you'll just lose money."

Not that I agree with that, lol, but just pointing out your typo, most people here wouldn't catch that.

Your point is relatively solid, however. I'd say don't port pre-released games to any console, unless they were promised at the originals launch, unless you're sure that game will sell well.

NO NO, NO NO NO.