By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metacritic Deliberately Assigns ONE Low score to LittleBigPlanet (8/10)

Dallinor said:
Have you seen the message posted in the review section of LBP now?

"[*Note: All Variety scores are provided to Metacritic by Variety's Games Editor - Metacritic is not estimating here or on any other game review.]"

Variety attributed the score, not Metacritic.

Quoted, bolded and colored it.. but when I checked it before it wasn't there.. guess people were complaining about it.. so /thread

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

Ok, Sony zealots, commence crow eating.

KylieDog said:
Kantor said:

They really shouldn't put that on.
It's not a review, it's a report.

You know a review doesn't require a score right, it's a completely optional thing.  I never score things, the moment you stick a score on something 90% of people ignore the actual review.

If IGN or someone started only putting numbers up as the entire review, with no text at all, I doubt most of its readers would even care.

I know a review doesn't require a score. I am just referencing the fact that the 'reviewer' didn't mention anything about graphics, gameplay, sound, lasting appeal or presentation, the five things which IGN judges games by, just a summary of what the game is about.

Let me guide you through the report:

-He says it is a platform for making levels more than a game

-He talks about the history of level creation

-He describes Sackboy

-He says what is in the soundtrack, without mentioning if it is good or bad

-He mentions again that you can create levels

-He says that this is not easy

-He mentions some of the levels

-He says it is YouTube for 60 bucks.

How can they count this as a review?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I think it very unprofessional to assign a score to someone elses review. They should remove any mention of the score for those reviews and just have the comments with a N/A review score.

EDIT: Okay so the editor might have given the score but did the Editor of Variety really like Fable enough to give it a 98 and LPB not as much to give it Metacritics lowest score yet? Personal opinion I guess.

Hmm, pie.

Shame they Didn't think of doing that for GTA IV!

Around the Network

Why are people so bothered by this? It lowered the metascore by one point...

It's still annoying though.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

i already saw that variety thing. I was like wtf since when does variety have a say in terms of review scores? what do they review like 2 games a month?

80% is pretty generous, if you actually read the review. They were fair.

Metacritic is about collecting review scores and putting them together to find an average for consumers. Figuring out what a review is trying to say about a game in a simplified number-format is what their site is entirely about.

With that said, they HAVE to assign a number to reviews if that review is on an accredited site that is to be included in their aggregate. And they've been doing this for sites like Variety for a long time.

Deal with it.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Actually... It wouldn't be a problem if Metacritic wasn't used by 360 fanboys to say "See how much more AAA titles the 360 has".

Well, nevermind... Metacritic is good to list in one place some of the reviews of one game, but is not a way to compare two games or two systems.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

lulz, Variety. They said Metroid Prime 3 was a poor answer to Halo and that the controls were terrible.

This is why we use Gamerankings :)