By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Casual gaming made you a hardcore gamer.

memory2zack said:
because it´s not worthy to post. Every sane person knows the meaning of hardcore and that whatever videogame is not hardcore per se, only people are. It´s only a matter of taste and knowledge of non-famous games/publishers. Under different social background, other games could have been considered "hardcore" and other "casual". Just like GTA became "casual" from "hardcore".
Well before Atari, there were other consoles. Were they wide accepted? No. Did they have a loyal following? Yes, most likely. So it´s thanks to these loyal old gamers, also called "hardcore" these days, that the gaming market kept slowly growing and managed later on to tap a wider market. So "hardcore" gave birth to "casual". "Hardcore" is the beginning and "casual" the goal. And this applies to practically every digital entertainment market and sub-market. "Hardcore" is an indispensable source of income for a new market that has as a goal to become popular.

That be all true.  But once again history says other wise. 

Bushnell attempted to sell a complicated game before PONG.  Computer Space.  But this happened.

""It landed in the coin-op industry with a resounding “thud”. Amusement operators who were used to buying jukeboxes and pinball machines had no idea what to do with it. The controls were too complicated, and the game too confusing for the average barroom (read: drunk) player.

"Nobody wants to read an encyclopedia to play a game"x - Bushnell on Computer Space""

The videogame industry was non existant.  Completly isolated from anyone who didn't have a degree in computer graphics design since it wasn't mass produced either.  If Bushnell didn't go with this approach it would of still being where it was.

It didn't exist literally until Pong, a simpler, easier, casual friendly game was released which made Bushnell profit and lead to him mass producing then founding Atari.

So how did hardcore gaming give birth to casual gaming?  When casual gaming actually started the market and made more profit for Bushnell than his Hardcore title? 

Around the Network
memory2zack said:
because it´s not worthy to post. Every sane person knows the meaning of hardcore and that whatever videogame is not hardcore per se, only people are. It´s only a matter of taste and knowledge of non-famous games/publishers. Under different social background, other games could have been considered "hardcore" and other "casual". Just like GTA became "casual" from "hardcore".
Well before Atari, there were other consoles. Were they wide accepted? No. Did they have a loyal following? Yes, most likely. So it´s thanks to these loyal old gamers, also called "hardcore" these days, that the gaming market kept slowly growing and managed later on to tap a wider market. So "hardcore" gave birth to "casual". "Hardcore" is the beginning and "casual" the goal. And this applies to practically every digital entertainment market and sub-market. "Hardcore" is an indispensable source of income for a new market that has as a goal to become popular.

You should sell "Win in a Can."

Holy crap!!! Rol is replying to his alt account, Dinomax. Just kidding.

Pong was the beginning of the video game industry, and it was casual. Dinomax is right.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Good point Dinomax. I used to be a casual gamer.

According to my parents the first thing I noticed when opening my eyes after being born was a Magnavox Odyssey right by the hospital tv. Later on while lying on the floor, I somehow 'fell' onto the console and got hold of a controller! l looked at it but I was unable to figure out the horizontal-vertical controllers. Instead I managed to press the reset button angering some older kid. You got to keep in mind that I had yet to develop proper intelligence. I remained unaware of it all and I have in no way been scarred for life. I now found myself in a sticky situation. The following events have been recorded in a hospital journal and told to me by my parents.. At the exact moment of me pressing the reset button and the older kid standing up shouting at me, a nurse walked by in the hallway. She immediately entered the room and saw him holding a box of Legos above my head. She came to my aid and I'm still alive today able to post all of this to you!Six years later my parents divorced and my dad moved into a new apartment nextdoor to the video arcades. I developed master skills and I  know consider myself to be among the top 500 videogamers alive

I think what Dinomax is trying to say here is that it doesn't matter how you first enter the world of videogaming. No matter how you do it you end up a loser.

RolStoppable said:
memory2zack said:

The first consoles had all their games built in and all games were very simple. How could these consoles have a loyal following if you couldn't buy any new games for them? The only way you could say that someone was "hardcore", would be that said person bought the console more than once. And even then, these people wouldn't have been "hardcore" after they purchased their first system, so how can "hardcore" be the beginning?

The widespread success of following consoles happened because they had exchangeable games in form of cartridges. This kept consoles interesting and popular for a much, much longer timeframe than the early consoles with their small selection of built in games. Whether or not there have been "hardcore" before, it wouldn't have mattered. Consoles would have become popular regardless.

Couple of questions:

Can hardcore gamers own more than one system? Or hardcore=fanboy?

Around the Network
memory2zack said:

memory2zac:

I think you are wrong. And I agree with Dinomax. Videogames started as a very casual form of entertainment. Similar to skateboarding, to set an example. They were just toys. Now, along with some technological advances, there's a whole industry around it. There's Tony Hawk and the X-games. So what you are saying something like "in the begining there was Tony Hawk and some other few Skateboard deities, and later the casual skateboarders were created". It doesn't make sense. And I am sure Tony Hawk doesn't hate non professional (casual) skateboarders who ride just for fun, does he?

So what's wrong with some hardcore gamers and their casual hate?

Well, remember that chapter of the Simpsons when everyone started to act like Bart and they even organize a "Do what you feel festival"? It's like some people love being misfits and then hated that everyone tried to be like them.

I personnally think that casuals are great for the business, and for our hobby. Eventually some of them will become hardcore and stick around. We will have more competition and a wider variety of games to play.

So I say welcome to the party.

If casual gaming can turn people into hardcore gamers then casual gaming is bad. How can we defend something that make people stupid?

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

people are what ever they consider themselves to be.

4 ≈ One

I think this thread is full of win haha. Good job.

Good thread

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)