By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The forum - no longer nintendo biased?

Earlier on the forum was extremely - and obviously - fulled with members biased towards nintendo, nobody denied it certain PS3 fans felt the need to complain about it at length.

Is it still this way? I have noticed that there are a lot more PS3 fans on the forum now and that they are now making their voice heard as much as the Nintendo fanboys insist on making theirs.

So, do you think the forum as a whole has become more balanced and less biased towards N recently? 

Around the Network

There is no conclusive evidence that this forum, in the short time I've been here, has ever had a bias. Unless of course you would contribute the objective sales figures on the main page to showing a Nintendo Bias by having the Wii sell more a week than either of its competitors. The Wii has the fastest growing fan base of any console this generation so proportionately there is no surprise that you see more people rooting for it than others, why people feel the need to complain about this like its a popularity contrast is certainly frustrating but I think in the end, claiming a bias of one company over another for a forum, gives certain members an excuse to feel justified when things don't turn out the way they want or popular opinion doesn't match their own.

You really have to ask yourself, are they complaining because there is a Nintendo Bias or are they really complaining because not everyone panders to their beliefs that Sony is rocking out the way video gaming should be done? Claiming a forum bias for whatever reason, is a weak excuse.

Nintendo Pwns!

I've found that there are more complaints about a bias than actual evidence of a bias in my time here

This site is very Pro Nintendo. Most of the Sony fans have been banned from this site, because they feel they need to post more and harsh things just to compete with the Nintendo fans, just look at my posts, most of them slam the wii just for the hell of it, i have nothing really against the wii or their fans, i just hate the fact that i feel that Nintendo is not really giving an advantage to this generation of systems. Of course Nintendo fans would beg to differ.

Most of the Sony and Microsoft fans on this site grew up playing Nintendo games, and they feel let down with what Nintendo has down to the world of gaming, they turn a blind eye to harcore fans and try to promote the system to old ladies, its good for Nintendo but not for their Original fans.

Around the Network

I dont know how to say it.

I think that in the online community, a lot of people just dont like the Wii.
That is why so many people thought Wii will never sell. Online community is mainly composed of hardcore gamer that perfer PS3 or Xbox360.
Even if the Wii user base is growing amazingly each month, there still lof ot people online that would prefer to see better sales numbers for the Xbox360 or the PS3 : the whole internet video game website is biased toward Sony or Microsoft. It is why reviewers are not giving good rate to Wii games. Just read comments on average videogame website or just consider the "most anticipated game thread". Wii games are not in good position even if the wii sales are just amazing compared to PS3/Xbox360 sales. Remember some article "who win E3", a lot of website saied some thing like : sony wan E3 because of lake of competition.
Now go to others, more casual site, as yahoo, and u will see some article claiming that nintendo wan E3 because of WiiFit.
People that are buying Wii are mainly people that dont surf on internet videogame website. Go on forum at IGN/Gamespot/or what u want, check the thread numbers/ view numbers, I m pretty sure that Wii forum will have less thread and is less frequented. Look gamespot "most popular game" : no Wii game. What about Mario Galaxy ? Metroid Prime ?
Strange if we consider the 9M user base of the Wii to the 3M userbase of the PS3 ?
Of course, I suppose a lot of people supporting PS3 are PS2 owners that still dont have PS3 (too expensive) but that prefer PS3 to Wii.

Fan base =/= User base.
Sony fan base >> Wii fan base.
(even if, of course, it can change in the future since more and more people are buying Wii, the console is getting credibility !!!)

But here, in VGC, we have nintendo fan that are mainly people who know very well nintendo game, that owned N64 or/and Gamecube, and are happy to see the very good Wii sales numbers. At the opposite, they dont like the bad review or comments they can see on others sites. 10 years that they want that nintendo comes back in the front of the videogame market and : it is hapenning. I understand them.

There are a lot of sony fan here too, but they cannot open their mouth to big "PS3 is the best" since the sales juts indicate the opposite. Recently, E3 announcement, like MGS4 on Sony conference or UT3 timed exclusivity or price drop with PS3 number 1 at amzon.com allow them to express a little "Sony won the E3 !!!". They were happy lol.

In fact, if the sales of the PS3 start to improve significantly or if Wii sales declean expect a lot of Sony fan post like "Wii sales : beginning of the end ?"

The same applicate for Microsoft Xbox360 even if the fan base is smaller I presume.

Time to Work !

PS3owner said:
This site is very Pro Nintendo. Most of the Sony fans have been banned from this site, because they feel they need to post more and harsh things just to compete with the Nintendo fans, just look at my posts, most of them slam the wii just for the hell of it, i have nothing really against the wii or their fans, i just hate the fact that i feel that Nintendo is not really giving an advantage to this generation of systems. Of course Nintendo fans would beg to differ.

Most of the Sony and Microsoft fans on this site grew up playing Nintendo games, and they feel let down with what Nintendo has down to the world of gaming, they turn a blind eye to harcore fans and try to promote the system to old ladies, its good for Nintendo but not for their Original fans.
Well if Sony fans had a more mature attitude than this, there would be a lot more of them, because they would stop being banned all the time.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

ioi said:
Well I've said before that the forum and site have never intentionally been biased towards one console or another, this just happens naturally if more people sign up who like a particular console more than others.

I have made a pro-active effort behind the scenes to try to target more Sony and Microsoft fans and get them on the site and this is something you can all help with.

As is pretty much admitted here, there have been more Wii fans visiting this site than others.  LeroyBrown, there was a strong tendency for anything pro-Sony/Microsoft to get bashed by dozens of Wii fans.  It still happens quite often, but I have noticed there are some more pro-Sony people at least coming on board.  Also, the idiot Sony (and to a lesser extent Nintendo) fans have been weeded out.

As you can see by the specific forums devoted to each console company, there are not many Microsoft fans on this site.  I believe that since this site is devoted to sales that it attracts Nintendo fans and to a lesser extent Sony fans that are used to dominating.  That's my theory anyway.

It's interesting to note that there are more posts in the Sony forum because Nintendo fans like to troll there all the time, at least that is my interpretation based on trying to be positive there.

At least some mods are pretty fair.

I won't speak for others but i certainly have a stupidity bias...

I have stopped to post on many fora (including this one) because i have the feeling that most subjects can't be dealt respectfully and without fanboyism from most posters.
These subjects include :
- 3D technology now
- Future 3D technology
- Present and future sales.
- Actual and future games, and their impact on sales.

That limits what can be said on consoles don't you think ?

What is my view on the current market ?

1) Wii 's success will confirm itself : even if i am not as optimistic as John Lucas on this console 's fate, it seem obvious to me that Nintendo will meet its goal for this fiscal year (ie 20M by March 2008)
2) HD gaming has difficulties to come to mainsteam levels, given its price ... As the HD video content has.
3) The day current HD consoles come to mainstream price, their 3D performances will seem terribly outdated by PC (see below)
4) Since when "hardcore" gaming exists on console ? IMO hardcore gaming is reserved to PC.

What annoys me the most is the im-modesty and short-sightened views that most fanbo*s have :
- They keep on placing "technology" and "sales" in the same sentences, when speaking on how the market will move.
- They speak about technology, spouting words they don't have a clue what they mean, as if they were worldwide experts...
- They put brand loyalty in front of any other view : their brand of choice cannot fail or miss-act, and other brands cannot succeed.
- When speaking about game coding, they think and imply that programming is some sort of "magical". Sorry, but the bad news are distributed parallel programming is very (very) complicated.

Just to come back rapidly to my 3) :
By late 2008 or early 2009, a little company named Intel intend to invest in the market of 3D gaming with massive multicore CPUs.
It is ATM unclear how many online cores will be provided (a prototype with 80 of them has been demonstrated), but a thing is clear : these CPU will be able to perform real-time raytracing !

How do want your little PS3 or Xbox360 to compete with such monsters ?

PS3owner said:

They don't get banned because there Sony fans...

The PS3 just has more 14 year old spoiled kids who have nothing to do but troll the forums compared to the other 2 consoles. I'm not saying that the other two consoles don't have any themselves, it's just that the PS3 attracts the most.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)