By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN Reviews Wii Music... Ouch.

c0rd said:
Soma said:

No, not exactly a sheet music like in Mario Paint, just create something different from the music already included in the game. I would like to make music without the need to have an established background music.

Yeah, I believe that's doable. I've read from places how you can play all 6 parts by overdubbing (playing one part, going back, changing another part, etc). For this reason, the developers themselves said they find the game more satisfying as a single player experience, as it's more in-depth than just jamming with people. It's mainly the reason I'm interested in the game.

That's precisely what I don't understand. Let's say I'm playing the Mario Bros theme with piano, I can go back and play some part with violin, then with the dog, etc. But still, you'd have the Mario Theme at the background, right?

I'd like something where you don't have a background music, but you create your own music. That would be great.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Around the Network

I don't hate this game, but maybe Nintendo should have put a bit more content and effort into it. It's a game definitely for casuals and that can also appeal to anyone.

Nintendo makes games for the very diverse audience they got, and even if this idea of a game isn't your cup of tea, there will be some millions that would embrace it. At least we know it's not a piece of crap and that it's a quality product. People should be angry at companies like Ubisoft who keep on pouring rushed crap on Nintendo systems, and not at Nintendo because they make gems very oftenly, so give them a break :)

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

IGN saw Wii Music for what is it. Good for them. There goes their one high profile low score of the holiday season a year. Last year it was Assassin's Creed, this time Wii Music, both good choices. Looks like good things are in store for Fallout 3, Resistance 2, Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 from IGN.

Completed XBLA: 16 / 32
Completed Retail: 17 / 64
GS Completion %: 82.63%

Soma said:
c0rd said:
Soma said:

No, not exactly a sheet music like in Mario Paint, just create something different from the music already included in the game. I would like to make music without the need to have an established background music.

Yeah, I believe that's doable. I've read from places how you can play all 6 parts by overdubbing (playing one part, going back, changing another part, etc). For this reason, the developers themselves said they find the game more satisfying as a single player experience, as it's more in-depth than just jamming with people. It's mainly the reason I'm interested in the game.

That's precisely what I don't understand. Let's say I'm playing the Mario Bros theme with piano, I can go back and play some part with violin, then with the dog, etc. But still, you'd have the Mario Theme at the background, right?

I'd like something where you don't have a background music, but you create your own music. That would be great.

I'm pretty certain there's a freestyle jam mode where you can just go nuts with whatever instruments you want. I'm not 100% on that though.

Soma said:

Well I haven't played it, but my understanding is only the tracks you select will be played. If you did your own spin on the Mario Song with a Violin, Piano, and Dog, and didn't include anything else, only those tracks would play your different versions of the song. If you added more instruments and didn't tinker with those, I'd imagine they'd play the song normally and would serve as this background music you describe.

Matt's version of the Zelda Theme suggests when you tinker with each track, you can make a song almost entirely unregonizable. =P

HappySqurriel said:

Did Matt really complain that they used Midi for this game? Is he really that technically inept?

If you watch the video of him trying to play the Legend of Zelda's song, you'd realize he's probably just somewhat inept in general.

Around the Network
BrainBoxLtd said:
Soma said:

Well I haven't played it, but my understanding is only the tracks you select will be played. If you did your own spin on the Mario Song with a Violin, Piano, and Dog, and didn't include anything else, only those tracks would play your different versions of the song. If you added more instruments and didn't tinker with those, I'd imagine they'd play the song normally and would serve as this background music you describe.

Matt's version of the Zelda Theme suggests when you tinker with each track, you can make a song almost entirely unregonizable. =P

HappySqurriel said:

Did Matt really complain that they used Midi for this game? Is he really that technically inept?

If you watch the video of him trying to play the Legend of Zelda's song, you'd realize he's probably just somewhat inept in general.

Hahah, I still remember his videos of Smash Bros. Brawl where all he did was spam Pikachu's Down B lightning.

HappySqurriel said:

If you're making a computer program where there are audio tracks that can be manipulated on the fly, and each of the tracks has several different parts which can be played by one of dozens of insturments, the ONLY way you could accomplish this would be to use (some sort of) a Midi format.

Thanks. That was the answer I was looking for. So there are 2 big factors that require the use of Midi? The first one is the huge amount of data (60 songs played with 50 different instruments). The second the randomness nature of the game, you can play the music slow or fast (and several levels in between), you can play and stop (miss some notes on purpose), you can play a whole song just using specific parts of the instrument (drums) and you can mix all these features so that a song never sounds the same (no matter how much you repeat it).

Did I get it or am I another technically inept person?

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

For a music game, such a low score for sound is really dissapointing. I think the overall score was expected. But despite the low score, I still expect this to sell well like the other titles with "Wii" in their name.

ItsaMii said:
HappySqurriel said:

If you're making a computer program where there are audio tracks that can be manipulated on the fly, and each of the tracks has several different parts which can be played by one of dozens of insturments, the ONLY way you could accomplish this would be to use (some sort of) a Midi format.

Thanks. That was the answer I was looking for. So there are 2 big factors that require the use of Midi? The first one is the huge amount of data (60 songs played with 50 different instruments). The second the randomness nature of the game, you can play the music slow or fast (and several levels in between), you can play and stop (miss some notes on purpose), you can play a whole song just using specific parts of the instrument (drums) and you can mix all these features so that a song never sounds the same (no matter how much you repeat it).

Did I get it or am I another technically inept person?

You got it

Gnosis said:
For a music game, such a low score for sound is really dissapointing. I think the overall score was expected. But despite the low score, I still expect this to sell well like the other titles with "Wii" in their name.

You haven't seen the score for Rock Revolution, right?

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/946367.asp?q=rock%20revolution