By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN Reviews Wii Music... Ouch.

YoppaDo said:
How come the first few reviews differ so much, it's got like two A grades and now a 5/10 :S

That is not the only game with that problem;..SR 2, Dead space and probably more also have those weird reviews;

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
ItsaMii said:

Can anyone confirm this? I love when people demand something that is either impossible or would make their lives more miserable.

That comment could easily go the other way.

How about construction workers start making houses with Playdoh since it's easier to use than bricks even if it won't work as well.  How will that end?

Actually, I can't deny it. Midi is a great thing to use. You can't not use it for that kind of game (or for the GH:WT music creation mode). The thing is that midi is just a way to describe notes (the pitch, velocity, length, etc.). What makes the difference is the samples you use. Basically, you need to use 88 samples for each of the 60 instruments (it's less than that because most instruments have lower ranges). At 500k per sample (that's a rather good quality), you can get 2,5 Gig of samples. My Roland Fantom G keyboard has over 2000 instruments and use far less than 2,5 Gig. The quality is great. Much better than that of Nintendo.

I feel that they must have produced their own samples or bought some cheap ones instead of paying a renowned company such as Yamaha or Roland to cut costs. That's a shame really. :(

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

@itsamii

I'm sorry but it's not difficult to use better quality midi. The Wii music one sound exactly like my fifteen year old Yamaha keyboard. And if they didn't have the space for high quality midi files, which I doubt, they could have easily cut down the number of useless "instruments".

Godot said:

Actually, I can't deny it. Midi is a great thing to use. You can't not use it for that kind of game (or for the GH:WT music creation mode). The thing is that midi is just a way to describe notes (the pitch, velocity, length, etc.). What makes the difference is the samples you use. Basically, you need to use 88 samples for each of the 60 instruments (it's less than that because most instruments have lower ranges). At 500k per sample (that's a rather good quality), you can get 2,5 Gig of samples. My Roland Fantom G keyboard has over 2000 instruments and use far less than 2,5 Gig. The quality is great. Much better than that of Nintendo.

I feel that they must have produced their own samples or bought some cheap ones instead of paying a renowned company such as Yamaha or Roland to cut costs. That's a shame really. :(

I think you're spot on. As always Nintendo's using old and cheap technology to assure a maximum of revenue.

Wii Music selling at least 5m confirmed!
After the Wii Fit reviews what did you expect?

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

i reckon the people who badmouthed it are reviewing it low to save from getting egg on their faces :P ... same reason why GTA4 will take game of the year in more than a few media outlets

Around the Network
Falcon095 said:

WiiFit actually got good reviews, including an 8.0 from IGN.

There's no two ways around it. Wii Music is just a bad game and the sooner everyone accepts that, the sooner we can all forget about this low point in Nintendo history.

lulz.

IGN seemed determine to bag out WiiMusic every way they could. Good on them, I hope it sells 10m plus :P

How does "track list" get into the presentation score? I'm sure the game overall presentation is *very* polished - all Ninty's "Wii" titles are.

And Wii Sports is way above a "5" graphically - and I'm sure this beats out WiiSports graphically. I can't wait for this game (probably my only "can't wait" this holiday season).

I honestly think IGN started with a final score of "5", then worked backwards in each category to be able to justify the final score.

IGN gave WiiPlay (WITH remote) a "5.5" - I can't see *any* chance this is less of a game than WiiPlay is (IGN AU gave WiiPlay a 8.5... go figure).

Anyway, each to their own. Time will tell if this is a masterpiece, or a disaster.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Falcon095 said:

There's no two ways around it. Wii Music is just a bad game and the sooner everyone accepts that, the sooner we can all forget about this low point in Nintendo history.

Dude, I have nothing against you (I kinda like your crazy ass posts), but being told that by someone who said GTA 4 is the best game ever and deserves all those 10s ...

It feels really bad. Kinda like a hobo refused your food because he thinks you are filthy. So, as a friend, I would like to tell you this:

Go suck a lhama

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

ItsaMii said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Falcon095 said:

Dude, I have nothing against you (I kinda like your crazy ass posts), but being told that by someone who said GTA 4 is the best game ever and deserves all those 10s ...

It feels really bad. Kinda like a hobo refused your food because he thinks you are filthy. So, as a friend, I would like to tell you this:

Go suck a lhama

I was a little excited then... I didn't even end up buying it.

I'll still take you up on that llama sucking dare though.