By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan - First Day Sales (Wii Music debut)

Numbers speak for themselves ,the PS3 third party games are selling very good relating to the userbase to the point theres not a lot of difference of the sales of the previous games on the much more succesful PS2.

360 games also have a good attach rate.

But Wii users in Japan seem only interested in getting the "Wii X" stuff as Wii Fit ,Wii Sports ,Wii Play ,Wii Family Trainer ,Mario Kart Wii.Some other NIntendo franchises as Mario Galaxy and Smash Brothers have had good sales too but very few.And most of the latests core offerings ,specially third party software ,are bombing really hard .The only game that sold decent was Tales of the New World ....and just to numbers that if on a PSP game we would speak of a "mild " succes.The others range between Ok with Fatal Frame and a couple others (PES,Shire the Wanderer) to abysmal.Its not enough to create a machine ,name it a next gen console and have it sell a lot of units to very casual gamers to have the successor of the PS2.The Wii is a differente ,determinate machine ....but its not the PS2 successor.

Around the Network

@Diomedes: I guess it is hard to see what you write with all those tears coming out of your eyes.

Please write a new post again when you can actually see what you are writing.

You just hate the Wii, you didn't even bother to read what people had to say about the matter, you just posted a quick and dirty reply (like you always do) filled with hate towards the Wii. Please stop trolling.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Diomedes1976 said:
Numbers speak for themselves ,the PS3 third party games are selling very good relating to the userbase to the point theres not a lot of difference of the sales of the previous games on the much more succesful PS2.

360 games also have a good attach rate.

But Wii users in Japan seem only interested in getting the "Wii X" stuff as Wii Fit ,Wii Sports ,Wii Play ,Wii Family Trainer ,Mario Kart Wii.Some other NIntendo franchises as Mario Galaxy and Smash Brothers have had good sales too but very few.And most of the latests core offerings ,specially third party software ,are bombing really hard .The only game that sold decent was Tales of the New World ....and just to numbers that if on a PSP game we would speak of a "mild " succes.The others range between Ok with Fatal Frame and a couple others (PES,Shire the Wanderer) to abysmal.Its not enough to create a machine ,name it a next gen console and have it sell a lot of units to very casual gamers to have the successor of the PS2.The Wii is a differente ,determinate machine ....but its not the PS2 successor.

What game is supposed to do good?  Look at the list, PS3 had all the big names on the list.  Dynasty Warriors 5, DMC4, Yakuza 3, MGS4, gundam musou, hot shots golf.  All these games have a long history of selling really well, Wii has nothing from 3rd parties right now that compares with any of those 6 games.  I guess fatal frame becoming the best selling fatal frame by about 15k isn't enough for you.  Seriously what are you expecting out of these games?  What games were supposed to do really good that failed? 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Didn't Wii Music get awful reviews? If so the sales are expected to be low.

@FilaBrasileiro: No reviews weren't awful, and it will sell more than any HD game released so far.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Any info on the Sales of Wii Music over the weekend?

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

trestres said:
@Diomedes: I guess it is hard to see what you write with all those tears coming out of your eyes.

You just hate the Wii, you didn't even bother to read what people had to say about the matter, you just posted a quick and dirty reply (like you always do) filled with hate towards the Wii. Please stop trolling.

You make me laugh.

I save my tears for things that matter ,not if X machine has outsold Y machine dont be silly .

I dont hate the Wii .I just dont like it ,and for good reason .I heard what other people had to say about the matter ,I just think they are wrong .I posted my opinion ,as everybody else ,that was taking in count real facts and way cleaner that your usual whining about "wii haters".

Of course the Wii lacks the big franchises.And things will continue like that.Developers wont create a inferior version of their games when they can create a PS3-360-PC project that sells worlwide at a higher pricepoint and to userbases that are way more interested in that kind of core gaming unlike 2/3 of the Wii users .So things will continue like that.But even at that you are wrong ,as games as PES have sold 3 times more on the PS3 that on the Wii with about 1/3 of the userbase and other games as the Konami baseball games or GI Jockey have outperformed the Wii versions by 3-1 as well .

Soriku said:
outlawauron said:
trestres said:
@outlawauron: Yes, it's funny because PS3 games have had 10x the budget of Wii games and have most been sequels to the most popular core franchises in Japan, while the Wii got ports/remakes/spin-offs/shovelware/New IPs.

Aren't you hasting a bit while making a blanket statement like that? It would be better to judge Wii vs other consoles when games actually start to arrive, not while Wii gets the scraps. Blame it on 3rd parties for putting their main franchises on other consoles, Wii has nothing to do with this.

But that's a common statement that is being used by haters that are desperate to find anything positive about their consoles of choice, when they see that they sell terribly bad and there's nothing that could happen to save them.

trestres, it's almost been two years! Regardless of your 10x numbers which is pulled completely out of nowhere. Yes, budgets on HD consoles are far more than Wii games, but we are not talking profiting from games but the sales.

@ Soriku

If ANY game sells 14k, its a bomb. Sky Crawlers did not do well at all, of course retailers didn't help as they only ordered 14k. I doubt Namco will be happy they made a Wii exclusive game to only have sold 8 or 9k in its first week.

Yeah, maybe to you. But if it sold 100% sell through then it would've exceeded Namco's expectations...so they won't drop support. If you want to compare sales use ToS: DotNW not SC (a much more niche game). ToV sold 240k in Japan AND the US but ToS: DotNW sold 240k in Japan ONLY and the NA release is next month. I guess since ToS: DotNW outsold ToV they should continue supporting the Wii with games and not the HD consoles lolololol. And since ToS: DotNW outsold Disgaea 3 and Valkyria Chronicles NIS should drop the PS3 and Sega should develop those types of games for the Wii only. SC will sell 40-50% of its shipment by the end of the week, meeting Namco's expectations (which is what matters anyway). And the fact SC looked like such a high quality game, but the shipment wasn't so large proves Namco has a lot of faith in the Wii. Do you want me to pull out a list of HD games that bombed? You have no idea what you're talking.

Cherry picking, cherry picking.

I expected a better response from you yet we get a desperate response. Sad.

Woah now. I said nothing about anyone dropping support of any platform or that other crap you're spewing. There is a large difference for a game to sell 10k to a game that sold 150k. Over 100k is at least respectable.

I don't see how the bolded part is relevant to the conversation at all. You assume far too much. I didn't mention once where I said that Namco (or any company) should drop Wii support. They'd be stupid to. It's good to spread games across all platforms.

Bolded part 2: Do you have any proof that Namco is happy with selling less than 10k in the opening week of one of their exclusive games? I'd like to know, because I don't anyone is happy with that. 

Bolded 3: No. I'll do it for you.

Folklore, Spectral Force 3, Mist of Chaos, Mobile Suit Gundam: Operation Troy, Battle Fantasia. I could on. Games have sold poorly on every platforms.

One last time. Where is my post did I say anyone lacked faith or trust in the Wii because I must have missed it. You must have caught because that's all you talk about for 75% of your post.

@ trestres

I didn't even know there was a Sky Crawlers movie. That might be a reason for the lack of interest, but regardless, it didn''t do so hot.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Diomedes1976 said:
trestres said:

You make me laugh.

I save my tears for things that matter ,not if X machine has outsold Y machine dont be silly .

I dont hate the Wii .I just dont like it ,and for good reason .I heard what other people had to say about the matter ,I just think they are wrong .I posted my opinion ,as everybody else ,that was taking in count real facts and way cleaner that your usual whining about "wii haters".

Of course the Wii lacks the big franchises.And things will continue like that.Developers wont create a inferior version of their games when they can create a PS3-360-PC project that sells worlwide at a higher pricepoint and to userbases that are way more interested in that kind of core gaming unlike 2/3 of the Wii users .So things will continue like that.But even at that you are wrong ,as games as PES have sold 3 times more on the PS3 that on the Wii with about 1/3 of the userbase and other games as the Konami baseball games or GI Jockey have outperformed the Wii versions by 3-1 as well .

Do you know that SONY and MS are paying 3rd parties to develop games for their system right? FF XIII, Star Ocean 4, Infinite Undiscovery and the Last Remnant on the 360 was the proof of it, while Ninty dont do such means. Its a bad business sense to make big projects on HD consoles especially on Japan at all. Its that MS paid Squeenix to do it, if not for the money Squeenix will not do it.

And yeah, whats MH3 and the new Tales sounds to you?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Soriku said:

Yeah, maybe to you. But if it sold 100% sell through then it would've exceeded Namco's expectations...so they won't drop support.

Hardly.

Their job is to ship as much as they think they CAN sell.  The trick is to not ship too much, and not ship too many.

If they shipped 10K and the game sold 9K, it doesn't necessarily mean that it met their sales forecasts, just that they got the supply about right.  We are talking about the first week here after all.

For actual expectations about how many copies of a game they expect to sell, you can sometimes find the information in financial reports.  In short, their sales forcasts..

This particular game looks like it is going to sell very poorly. 

It's interesting how things change.  A year ago everyone was high on the Wii Kool-Aid, with all games being supposedly dirt cheap to develop and selling truck loads.  Now, it's a very different story.

PSN - hanafuda